Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 372743 times)

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"

Currently just a very high performance aircraft with jet engines only. I'll need to see if I can add suitable rockets and rocket fuel to make the engines into hybrids; to be honest, this should probably be played with some special fuel that imitates Tylium and gives the ship suitable fuel reserves to get into orbit and then some. But currently, I'm happy that it flies quite well. At high altitude there are some thrust imbalance problems - thrust vector is above centre of gravity at the moment, so that's a small issue.

moar pics below:

http://imgur.com/a/hl7Yb

Mod dependencies:

FAR, B9, Procedural Wings, Stretchy Tanks, Infernal Robotics (although I could make a version that doesn't use the robotics mod, it's just one part...)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
I'm not quite sure how this thing can possibly fly, but it does.

There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
And with FAR! :) That's something. It seems that the old "if it looks good, it'll fly good" adage holds true for KSP. And Steve-O's ships are very good looking. :)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com

Currently just a very high performance aircraft with jet engines only. I'll need to see if I can add suitable rockets and rocket fuel to make the engines into hybrids; to be honest, this should probably be played with some special fuel that imitates Tylium and gives the ship suitable fuel reserves to get into orbit and then some. But currently, I'm happy that it flies quite well. At high altitude there are some thrust imbalance problems - thrust vector is above centre of gravity at the moment, so that's a small issue.

moar pics below:

http://imgur.com/a/hl7Yb

Mod dependencies:

FAR, B9, Procedural Wings, Stretchy Tanks, Infernal Robotics (although I could make a version that doesn't use the robotics mod, it's just one part...)

I'm really surprised that a Viper would fly and be somewhat stable.

It'd be fun to have a wing of those docked to an Orion battleship...

Speaking of which, the above is Mr. Gamebreaker- fitted with an Orion engine and two Albucierre drives for relativistic travel (not doing FTL with this, the kraken eats you).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 02:58:20 am by Ace »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline ShivanSpS

finally :P

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Has anyone else used the spaceplane hangar as a substitute for wind tunnel?

It's not perfect but it gives some idea of how the relative positions of CoG and CoP change with angle of attack. For example on this image you can notice there is a stable region within a limited angle of attack, but as the angle of attack gets higher either on positive or negative direction, the plane becomes unstable.

The FAR mod offers some actual tools to analyze the behaviour of the plane, but you need to actually understand what you're looking at. This, on the other hand, is a pretty easily understandable visualization on your aircraft's expected behaviour at different angles of attack. It probably isn't entirely reliable and shouldn't be used as a substitute for flight testing - but it might give you an idea of what to expect.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
well, **** (linked this in #bp while hlp was down)

happy ending: was able to right myself using RCS, had JUST enough fuel to get to my command module in munar orbit, and made it back to Kerbin orbit. Still need to rendezvous and dock with the kerbonational space station.

Offline Patriot

Do you guys recommend any mods? I recently started fooling around with this again and was wondering :)

Do you guys recommend any mods? I recently started fooling around with this again and was wondering :)

BEST MOD

Other than that, I don't know mods.

Last night, I put a satellite into kerbosynchronous orbit, but ran out of fuel while returning my crew module. Than I ran out of RCS fuel trying to de-orbit.

Sent up a rescue capsule. Ran out of fuel during the orbit matching phase. Matched orbit using RCS alone, rescued stranded kerbonaut, de-orbited using RCS alone. (Foolishly) Jettisoned RCS fuel tank when periapsis was only 65k but apoapsis was still 250k. Spent a few hours aerobraking before orbit decayed enough to actually pull the capsule back to Kerbin.

Tired Kerbals received cake on the plane trip back to the space center.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
I'm using Universe Replacer for graphics, but I'm waiting until I'm sufficiently bored with stock parts to add a bunch of new ones. Also from what I've heard, Deadly Reentry (heat actually damages parts) is good but hard.

[edit] I made a flag http://i.imgur.com/Aj0Afz5.png
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:47:45 pm by Shivan Hunter »

Offline MarkN

Some mods that I would recommend are:
Stretchy tanks (StretchySRB v5, has the latest version with additional testures): allows you to make fuel tanks of just the right size
modular fuel system: allows you to launch tanks with mixed fuels (standard fuels and monopropellant in the same tank, for instance). Has an extension that allows the use of additional fuel mixtures (LH2/LOX for high efficiency but huge tanks, for instance)
procedural fairings: builds fairings around your payload, making your rocket look great If you use these and stretchy tanks, look for Nathan Kell's procedural fairing textures, which include fairing textures that match)
B9: shuttle parts, including large wings and cargo bays big enough to take 2.5m payloads.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I second those, you could throw in Procedural Wings, too. And for fans of historic missions, there's also BobCat's Soviet Pack, which I'm helping develop. :) Also, for real hardcore players, there's Real Solar System mod, which attempts to make KSP into essentially Orbiter with better graphics, ship construction and prettier map view. Thought rocket science on Kerbin was hard? Try doing it on Earth. :)

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Does anyone here have experience with looking through the game data using Unity Assets Explorer? I've been trying to find the tiled ground textures so I could add more pixels to them, but firstly there's no consistent naming/packaging scheme, and secondly, UAE has issues exporting tex files to DDS. Some are fine, but some have errors like this:

(this wouldn't even open in GIMP: unexpected EOF).

If the issue is the tex->dds conversion, what other programs can convert/open tex files? If the issue is the extraction from .assets files, how can I extract them without errors?

[EDIT] looks like the issues only ever happen after about 342KB of file... so 512x512 images are fine but everything larger has those artifacts or doesn't open.

[EDIT THE SECOND] Oddly enough, the Unity editor can open these DDS files without issue. Why are xnview and GIMP choking on them? Is there another program that can read them (I don't see how to save an image from the Unity editor, since it just uses a copy in its own folder)?

[EDIT THE THIRD] nvm Compressionator can do it
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:52:07 am by Shivan Hunter »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Have you tried using nvdxt to convert them to something else ? You usually can't go wrong with nvdxt.

ninja'd
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Well, I successfully replaced one using a custom Universe Replacer cfg file, but it swaps in the wrong one. The rocky texture on the mun is now a KSP logo, rather than the test texture I put in the cfg. **** it I'm going to bed

Offline Husker

Currently I'm running the demo, any tips for me to make a Munar lander that will return to Kerbin?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Look on Scott Manleys YouTube channel. I think he's called astronogamer... He is.a KSP god. Lots of beginner guides etc.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Husker

Yeah, I've been watching as many videos of his I can find. But the demo seems to hate most of us. I can get to the mun but I would be unable to return so far. Or I can build a larger rocket, but be nearly unable to launch it. Orbit however, I can sell tickets based on how often I make it there.

Offline ShivanSpS

let me check what the demo has.