Author Topic: launcher issues  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Davros

first off
i have fs2 installed in f:\games\freespace 2 and the launcher in  f:\games\freespace 2\wxlauncher\bin
and diaspora installed in j:\games\diaspora and the diapora launcher in J:\Games\Diaspora\wxLauncher\bin\

so if I run fs2 by running its launcher everything is fine like so

if i then run diapora it takes on fs2's settings so i have to change them back manually
how diapora looks after running fs2

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

if I then run fs2 it takes on diaporas settings like so

How diapora should look

Looks like the launcher keeps its settings in the registry and it only expects one version of it to be installed
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:38:53 pm by Davros »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Yes, I get this behaviour as well.  One possible solution to use the profiles on the Welcome tab.  I've got separate profiles for Diaspora / TBP in order to keep their settings separate from FS2.  Of course you still need to switch profiles, as both wxlaunchers still share the one configuration, but that's easier than changing the Game Root Folder plus custom flags each time.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Davros

Thanks for that..

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
The profiles are indeed the answer here. They're intended to solve the problem of having to manually change all of your settings each time you want to play a different mod or TC.

When you set up FS2 with regular wxL, you probably used the Default profile. The Diaspora installer adds its own launcher profile, and IIRC the Diaspora 1.0.4 patch adds yet another profile that should be used in place of the original Diaspora profile.

You can check on the Welcome tab which profile you're currently using; it'll be the name that appears in the drop down box under "Profile management".

EDIT:
Looks like the launcher keeps its settings in the registry and it only expects one version of it to be installed
The launcher keeps its settings in your %appdata% folder, which in Windows 7 is probably
C:\Users\<YourUsername>\AppData\Roaming\ . There's just one copy of the data for all versions of the launcher.

The behavior you're seeing is because the Diaspora launcher is loading your profile with your FS2 settings. If you have separate launcher profiles for FS2 and Diaspora, the launchers will still load your most recently used profile when they start up, but then you can just switch profiles on the Welcome tab to get to the other profile.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 01:51:41 am by jg18 »