Author Topic: Launcher Troubles  (Read 7290 times)

Good day everyone, I hope I'm not asking about a problem that has been solved before, but I've looked around and can't find a solution on my own.

I'm setting up Diaspora on a new system, ran the original installer and both patches, but when I open the launcher the PLAY button will not work. I've tried both the standard Diaspora executable and the Debug version, but it won't open the game. On the error side of things, I have the message "Error Opening Device". I tried the normal instructions to get the fs2_open.log file, but without being able to run the game I'm not sure how else I can obtain it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You should be able to run the FSO executable directly from the file in the install directory. i.e. without using the launcher.  It won't have everything setup correctly but it should provide some useful output in the fs2_open.log
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Awesome, that part worked like a charm. My fs2_open.log file is attached to this message.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

So, did anyone have any thoughts? I'm still stumped, I've tried reinstalling from the ground up, reinstalling OpenAL, and I can't get the game to launch. Any assistance is appreciated.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Sorry, I forgot to reply to this! 

Unfortunately I can't see anything wrong in the log that you've provided, so maybe the problem is in wxLauncher rather than the exec.

Could you try posting screenshots of your wxLauncher config? i.e. one each of the Welcome, Mods & Basic Settings Tabs? We can ignore the Advanced Settings tab for now.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

All good. Here's what I see when I open the launcher right now:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Oh.  What's your screens resolution?  Is the vertical dimension less than about 660 pixels? 

I think you might need the solution in this thread; i.e. manually create a cmdline_fso.cfg file, then bypass the launcher & run the executable directly.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=88067.msg1758060#msg1758060
----
----

Does wxlauncher included in Diaspora work on Windows 10? It is a bit outdated.
You can try install newer wxlauncher http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=67950.0

Offline Crashdown117

• You can't take the sky from me
    • Steam
Does wxlauncher included in Diaspora work on Windows 10? It is a bit outdated.

Outdated maybe, but it works perfectly fine. Even the old 5.5 launchers run, yet they seem to hate Win10 Registry.
"Flying is easy, landing is hard" - Delta-07

Thanks folks. I'll give these a try when I get home, out of town for work. I'll report my findings!

i've down loaded it on torrent which wont work and direct which downloads it but then wont get me to the game launcher.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The launcher should be an icon on your desktop (on Windows at least). Is that not running?

To be honest, the best way get and run Diaspora these days is via Knossos but I don't blame you if you don't want to download it again.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I cannot get this to work in Ubuntu 18.04 with either knossos, or wxlauncher  from the repository.  It does the same thing in both.  When the tips box pops up, all input is disable.  It works 16.04 in wxlauncher from the repository up to a Virgon mission which just crashes.  Gonna try knossos in ubuntu 17.10 next???

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
That sounds like an SDL2 problem. Do you know which SDL2 versions you used on 16.04 and 18.04?

Dont have 16.04 installed now but 18.04 version of sdl2 is 2.0.8+dfsg1-1ubuntu1.18.04.1.   libsdl2-dev

It actually seems to be a gnome3 desktop issue.  Works great on Xubuntu 18.04......Oh and intel graphics on my linux lappys works fine. 

The launcher should be an icon on your desktop (on Windows at least). Is that not running?

To be honest, the best way get and run Diaspora these days is via Knossos but I don't blame you if you don't want to download it again.

Thanks Kara, trying the Knossos now. I keep getting too many tangential discussions for what works etc... Had troubles with my FS2 running right trying to copy the files from old hard drive to new one. Just missing too many installers or their broken after being gone for many years.