Author Topic: Major features I'm working on  (Read 18024 times)

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Re: Major features I'm working on
Yeah, thanks for the comprehensive sitrep. I should definitely fix render-to-texture scripting access and devise a good way to for scripts to integrate with the engine's HUD gauge system.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
other question:
Will the hud be affect from post processing?

I think is good having an hud that glows a bit :)
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think that's a bad idea. If you want a glow effect on the hud, it's better and less expensive rendering-wise to incorporate that effect into the HUD bitmaps.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
i think he means the rtt hud and this would be a yes its affected
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
at some point rtt would need to mesh with the currently theoretical materials system. say your doing a monitor you may want to draw to the glow map and have a static or animated bitmap as the diffuse texture. if your doing a mirror would use the dynamic texture as diffuse and want to overlay specular to make the mirror look dirty when the sun hits it (much like my monitor). another idea, scorch maps. when damage happens you could figure out on which polygon the imact happened, and get the uv position, then draw impact bitmaps to the scortch map, and blend it multiplicatively into the diffuse texture, lts of cool things you can do with this. if your rendering hud gauges to the panel in the cockpit model, such feetures would be needed to improve the appearance of rtt textures.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:40:40 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
Food for thought here: What about making the collision detection a seperate Thread cause its kinda asynchronous anyway with the time delay on the checks and everything. Would help on multicores.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
I kinda don't want to think about designing a multithreaded collision detection system until my current revisions to the collision detection system are done.

Offline CaptJosh

Aside from that, wouldn't that take rewriting the whole engine, seeing as the engine is not multi-threaded at all?
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, it would take rewriting those subsystems of the engine, which is a big enough task already.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline CaptJosh

My mistake. I've seen a lot of "we should make FSO multithreaded" suggestions over the years since I discovered FSO, and most of them seemed to get shot down based on the need to rewrite basically the whole engine to even multithread part of it. Others were shot down with, "If you think it's such a great idea to do that, you do it."

In any case, there are many features that need to be worked out before there's a feature freeze and the time taken to multithread even part of the engine.
CaptJosh

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There's a huge difference between programmers familiar with the codebase talking about it and random forum members.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CaptJosh

Agreed. In any case, I hope I'm wrong about how long I think it might take to get to the point where a feature freeze can be put in place and work on multi-threading the engine can begin.
CaptJosh

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The main argument against doing something like that is that there are plenty of other ways to optimize the code without multi-threading, that we haven't done yet.  Supposedly.  But seriously, if multi-threading is ever the answer, we'll do what is necessary in order to accomplish it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline CaptJosh

Sounds like a plan to me. I look forward to all the optimizations you coders can manage. Me, I'm no coder. Closest I get to it is writing PHP. Oh and correcting some constant defines in a single file for another app I compile from source. Someone forgot to make one of the source files define _STDINT_H if _STDINT was already defined and _STDINT_H wasn't if the project was being built for windows. Of course, that has to do with none of the sdk includes, either from MS or the Quicktime SDK having that constant defined anymore. Nonetheless, it's a sanity check that should already have been in place in the particular source code file to which I had to add the necessary ifdef and ifndef lines. But still, that's the most I've ever done with actual c++, and I had to get help to figure that much out.
CaptJosh

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Show this man more appreciation. I'm doing the flashy eyecandy stuff everybody notices. He does the invisible grunt work that nonetheless is needed and is as awesome as my work!

Oh hey now, heat distortion and shadows are very cool and look awesome, but hardly the only things I look for in the nightly changelog. I'm constantly hoping to see more optimizations. Hosting Delenda Est Co-op takes a lot out of ones computer after all, and every little bit helps.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Hey Swifty,
A few months back (maybe a year ago? I don't remember), I asked you about rendering shield/weapon/speed gauges as a diagonal (or even arbitrary angle) instead of vertical or horizontal. Did you ever get around to looking at that? Is that in your current To-Do list? Because as things stand, my current hud doesn't exactly work... ;_;

00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you can render bars like that with 2 polygons, and 2 images of full and empty bars. by changing the size and uv coords of the polygons and texturing each with one bitmap or the other you can approximate a progress bars. also polygons can be rotated so you should be able to pull it off. i think you can in scripting (another case for scripted gauges). could also support ani/eff based gauges, but i dont think they are as good.

*edit*
after looking up some functions i doubt that this can be done with scripting now. currently gr.drawPolygon() doesnt let you change the uv space for its vertices, of course i cant imagine this being hard to add in.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:32:34 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
I'd rather avoid using lua if at all possible
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I'd rather avoid using lua if at all possible

You got a problem with Lua? Well get over it, because you're not going to get anywhere with that attitude.

Offline Axem

That's a potentially sexy HUD you got going there, Quanto.  :cool: