Author Topic: Bumping the maximal number of asteroids from 256?  (Read 952 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Bumping the maximal number of asteroids from 256?
It has certainly been discussed a long ago, but I ask the question again, now that our coders are more aware of what can or cannot be implemented.
So:
Is it possible to bump up the limit of 256 asteroids in the field?
I know that it can in theory be done in WordPad, but that makes the mission quite unstable. I am asking if this can be done in FRED, safely.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I think this will be rather "dangerous". I had some big problems with a few of our WCS-Missions, where suddenly shots gone through the enemy ships and made them invincible.

After many frustrating hours I found out, that I had to many objects in the mission area because of a asteroid-field that I made too big. After decreasing the number of the asteroids (by reducing the field size) the problem was fixed.

I guess, increasing the max numbers will be increasing the possibilty for this failure I guess, if there will be no raise to the max objects (subobjects ? ) per mission.

Unfortunately standard freespace asteroidsfields are good looking, but rather useless, since they do only very minor damage.
Since they aren't very dense even at 256 units (guess that's why you ask for it Topace), it would at least be better to give them much more damage potenial, and model a little bigger rocks.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Yes, I know about this problem, I experienced it back in my FS1 days, that's the reason I asked 'safely'.

If something that causes more crashes than by default must not be implemented, whatever it should be.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i believe the object-count has something to do with the max-collision-pairs - the number of colision pairs grows expontentially with the number of ships

IE adding one more ship to x ships creates x additionally collision pairs.
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Well... I must FRED the Battle of Endor inside an asteroid field, then.

It'd be the epitome of playability, I guess.