Author Topic: Help me out please!  (Read 1708 times)

I had FSOpen v. 3.6.5, but I wanted to download a newer version so I could play Transcend, so I downloaded a new mv_core Media VP file (although the readme still said it was for 3.6.5, but it wasn't the same as my old one). I can confirm it's working because I get a nifty new Sobek loadup screen instead of the old Orion/Fenris one. Anyway, I also downloaded the build specified in the Transcend thread, and it had four files: Two applications named "Goober build (with a lot of numbers after it)" and one that was the same except it had "dbg" at the end. There were also 2 MAP files that corresponded to them. I figured the "dbg" stood for debug, so the other one was more reliable. I copied it and its corresponding MAP file (I didn't know what to do with the MAP file, I had never seen or used one before) into my main Freespace2 directory, and made a subfolder called "old" in which I put my 3.6.5 build in case I needed to revert. I opened up the launcher and used the browse button to select the new build instead of the old one, and switched the graphics to OpenGL. However, I got the "missing cruiser file" error, so I went to the thread about it and downloaded Karajorma's 2 VP files to fix that, and put them both in my main directory. However, I have 2 problems when running the campaign:

1. White squares of doom appear around ever engine and glow effect and weapons fire. I'm pretty sure this is because of the OpenGL graphics.

2. The Fenris and Leviathon models are invisible unless I get about 2500k away from them.

What do I do?
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline redmenace

post your command line tags and get a more recent test build as well.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Alpha0

Your first issue could be a case of old drivers. It has been reported that it happens with OpenGL recently and it happens on my system as well. Try newer drivers and see if it fixes it. If not, you can still run Transcend in D3D.

For the disappearing models, I would guess a) you are missing LODs from the model files, which I find quite unlikely, but could explain why the ships are visible only from far away or b) you are not using -jpgtga in your command line. Try it and see if it helps. If not, post your command line options and details about your system and hopefully someone might come up with a good idea.

I am using jpgtga, also spec, glow, and allslev.

Offline Alpha0

Hmm. Try deleting the contents of your data\cache folder (the .ibx files, that is) in order to have the program recreate them. Alternatively you can use -noibx in the command line, if you are using a more recent build. Maybe you have a bad ibx or something like that.

Hopefully this can fix it. If you still have problems, you need to provide your system's specs. Make sure that mods like Transcend etc. reside in their own folders and run them with the -mod command line.

Have you tried D3D? Try this option as well and see if it's any better.

BTW, the "lot of numbers" following a build's name, are the date tag of the build's creation, in yyyymmdd format. So, the numbers 20050728 for example, mean that that particular build was created on the 28th of July, 2005. This way you can track immediately which build is the newest.

Okay, in D3D it works, but I still occasionally get a big square with subspace effects, and the invisible cruiser problem is still there. I think the problem is with Karajorma's VP file I downloaded to fix the bug, without it I get the cruiser missing error, but with it, I get invisible cruisers. Is there another version of that file that actually works?

I don't know your Connection, but try you to download the other new  Media VP's like mv_textures, mv_effects and so on?
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

No, I don't have those.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Download the 3.6.6 VP files. I really ought to take that sticky down. Something is causing those ships to be invisible.

Time for a new thread really but I'm gonna be busy till this weekend at least.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sticks

Wang, could you try the white squares build in the recent builds forum and see if that fixes the white squares in D3D?

EDIT: Try both OGL and D3D for that matter and see what happens.
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

OGL gives white squares everywhere, but D3D just gives them sometimes on warpins and warpouts.

Also where do I download a 3.6.6. version of the launcher and FRED2?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by DarthWang
OGL gives white squares everywhere

If you are using an ATI card be sure to update to the newest drivers on ATI's website.  They had some older driver versions which caused this.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by DarthWang
Also where do I download a 3.6.6. version of the launcher and FRED2?

Neither actually exist. The 3.6.6 VP's were made to go with FS2_Open 3.6.6 which never actually appeared. The next version will be 3.6.7 at least.

There is a new version of the launcher out in a thread not far below this one :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I have the white squares build and the 3.6.6 VPs, it seems to be working.