Author Topic: Event Triggering Strangeness  (Read 957 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Event Triggering Strangeness
I first noticed this in BtRL but I can reproduce it in FS2.

I make a mission like this (this it the easiest I can make the problem)

Event 1
-true
-do-nothing

Event 2
-not
--is-event-true-delay
--Event 1
-do-nothing

Event 3
-or
--is-event-false-delay
---Event 1
--is-event-incomplete
---Event 1
-do-nothing

Now looking at that I should only get event 1 to trigger. However if I try the mission in 3.6.9 Event 1 and 2 both trigger. If I try it in FS2 Retail both event 1 & 2 trigger but in reverse order.

:wtf:

Anyone know what's going on?

Here's the mission in case anyone wants to check.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: Event Triggering Strangeness
Do they trigger with a noticable delay?

Just a wild guess here, but maybe the first event has to be true for one frame before is-event-true-delay triggers.

So you'd have:
Frame 1: Both events trigger, as true is obviously true, but it takes FS2 a frame to realize that Event 1 is true.
Frame 2:Event one is registered as completed.

Gah. It's probably not right. I shouldn't even be posting at 2:40 AM.  :o
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I can see your point Turey but in that case Event 3 should also trigger. If the game only registers events as true after working through the entire list then Event 1 should still be flagged as incomplete and therefore should trigger Event 3.

I wouldn't have a problem if both event 2&3 would trigger but the fact that they aren't triggering at the same time is distinctly odd. And that's before we get to the fact that this isn't the retail behaviour.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Did some testing with that file.  First time I ran it I received the event 1 message then the event 2 message.  I then changed the message priority to low for event 1 message, normal for event 2 message and high for event 3 message.  This time I received event 2 message first then event 1 message.  Changing the priority around for event 1 and 2 message resulted in event 1 message first again. 

That still doesn't explain why it's doing what it's doing but it seems that both events are triggering at the same time and it's only the message priority that changes which message comes up first.  The only thing I can think of is it starts processing the next event before it finishes processing the previous event.  Either that or 0 doesn't really equal 0 in FS2. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Perhaps it is evaluating Event 2 before Event 1 for some reason.