Author Topic: Windows 10, how to run?  (Read 8181 times)

Offline Tiranja

Windows 10, how to run?
Hey there,

I try to play MCO (lates build) under Windows 10 64 bit.

Sadly the gameplay suffers from heavy visual lag and it looks rendered like software mode. Even in the main menue it all looks very unclear. On my laptop it runs fine, and is smooth and nice.

I have an Nvidia EVGA 980 TI and it looks like that card is not supported by the game.

I can play but it looks bad and runs very slow.

I tried much things.. clean new install, older version, different compatibilty settings etc. etc. etc.

Is there any way to get it running smooth and nice under windows 10 with such a card? I do not want to downgrade drivers.. any other solution?

Thanks

Re: Windows 10, how to run?
Turn vertical synchronisation off.
Close other software like Browsers, Media players and so on.
Set graphic Driver back to older version if possible.
It has become appalingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Albert Einstein

Offline Tiranja

Sadly nothing of that helped.

Running it as an admin and deactivating fullscreenoptimisation helped but then there was a new major windows update and since then, its back to "software rendering and visual lag".

Rolling back my driver is something that I won´t do.

I hope there is more to do, otherwise thanks for your help :)

Offline zzc

Does the graphic card come with a control panel interface? Its where you can set options for individual programs.

Set everything to 'off' or 'set by application' for the MCO exe.

And run as admin.

Offline Tiranja

I used the Nvidia Control Panel and made all to "set by application" - sadly that did not help.

It already is running as an administrator.

Strangely my intel Notebook onboard card runs it fine. Only my PC with my Nvidia Card has that problems.

Maybe a strange question: Did you installed "DirectPlay" on Windows 10?
Maybe this can help.

To graphic settings:

Setting by application only works when application was made for this card or supports it. I bet this old software doesn´t. So i recommend setting options for that application manually to minimum and "best performance". Try to run it with 32bit/16bit maximum and put vertical synchronisation off..

Start the game.exe with Windows XP SP2 compability - enhancing options off.

Albert Einstein

Offline Tiranja

Just tried that all - still no effect sadly. Even in the main menu the mec is blurry and I can´t read the text next to the mec.

Try this:

extract attached files into your MCO installation folder.

if these files are already there; delete both.

Start game and report if any effect.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline Tiranja

Sadly that did not have any effect.

I tried to attach a photo from my smartphone how the menu looks, but that was denied ^^

Question: did you upgrade from  a prior Win OS or make fresh installs of WIN 10?

I experienced that on two upgraded PCs it runs just perfectly fine and on a fresh installed Win 10 it does what you described.
I believe the key is in the difference between upgrading and fresh installing; Just what exactly creates this downfall in performance on a fresh install? Something must be missing in fresh install that is still used available and  after upgrading.

On the fresh installed PC none of any countermeasures described here or elsewhere made a difference for me; no effect.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:18:34 pm by wolfman-x »

Hey wolfman, i think the problem is the basic Win10 technical installation setting!

When you upgrade your older system to Win10 the "new" OS has (in many cases) the "older" settings integrated in it's final installation. The reason maybe that people who upgrade their OS to Win10 would probably have files & apps from previous OS that they wanna continue to use. When people buy a "new computer" with pre-installed Win10 - usually those technical settings may be deactivated for performance reasons or just basically cause they are obsolete on newer devices.

In order to be able to use some older applications Win10 users will always have to do some modifications on their system settings in order to bring up technical conditions the game/program or whatever - needs to have in order to run proper.

I got good results by creating lists for certain games/programs - in most of the cases there are just a handful modifications to be made in order to get it run with Win10. For a long time i used WinXP - it was the best OS for me. The reason i liked it so much was that you could run all of the older software - back to the 80es.

Vista, Win7 & 8 - lost many of those functions in my point of view. Windows 10 seems to be the next Windows that i will use for decades cause it offers so many possibilities - the previous Win OS didn't had this capacity and the workarounds compared to Win10 where really eager in some cases.

Albert Einstein

I totally agree with everything you stated. I just can not find this setting change to run MC2 mods (MCO and MC2X).
I still have a winXP PC running to edit and compile my MC2X code. It just works reliable and predictable. It is heavily protected by all kinds of scanners and I never go to the internet with it. Thx for your support.

Anytime buddy, you although helped me allot back in my MC modding time. I won't forget that!

Albert Einstein

Install and run the MC2X:

0. Download the desired pack of missions here: http://mc2x.net/Gaming/Carver-v Changes compare to original campaign - initially a lot of money, new weapons, incl. clan, gameplay little more difficult.

0. MC2XGame.exe. Put compatibility with Windows 8.
1. Download https://static.old-games.ru/utils/DgVoodoo2_55_4.rar. Copy D3D8.dll, D3DImm.dll, DDraw.dll, dgVoodoo, dgVoodooCpl from DgVoodoo2_55_4 to the folder with the game, which is valid in C:\MC2X-CVE-G for example. Specify this folder in the General settings.
2. DirectX: Virtual 3D Accelerated Card, 1024 MB, Force vSync, Fast video memory. General: The default values are: "Keep window aspect ratio" (so that the menu does not pinch once again and it does not become pixel), "Capture mouse" (so that the mouse does not lag).

* Without voodoo I personally have more lags. And the maximum comfortable playable resolution is ~ 1366x768. With other settings for voodoo, the game freeze at the mission launch stage.

3. Setting up Windows taskbar => “Hide taskbar in desktop mode” (this will give you a bit more screen space in the game at 1920x1080, for example).
4. Disable the check on the "Window Mode" in the game, if installed and restart the game. Otherwise, the next time you start the game, it will freeze at the mission loading stage. If this is not enough and the game continues to hang, then additionally replace the binaries, https://www.old-games.ru/forum/attachments/binaries-zip.166017/, put with the replacement in C:\MC2X-CVE-G\assets\Binaries or what folder you are using.
5. Start the mission. Click the rectangle icon in the right corner to potentially slightly lower the lags and switch to full size windowed mode.

The menu will work in screen mode sufficient for perception, the battlefield part - fullscreen in windowed mode. Replacing binaries derived from MechCommander Omnitech and other tinkering in configs is no longer required. Perhaps this is somehow related to the latest Windows updates that improved driver compatibility, or something else. It’s hard to say for sure.

Install and launch MechCommander Omnitech:

0. Download the latest build https://www.moddb.com/mods/mechcommander-omnitech/downloads/mech-commander-omnitech-628. 628 at the time of writing the post. Consists of two companies. See others here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/mechcommander-omnitech/downloads
1. Download https://static.old-games.ru/utils/DgVoodoo2_55_4.rar. Copy D3D8.dll, D3DImm.dll, DDraw.dll, dgVoodoo, dgVoodooCpl from DgVoodoo2_55_4 to the folder with the game, which is valid in C:\MC2X-CVE-G for example. Specify this folder in the General settings.
2. DirectX: Virtual 3D Accelerated Card, 1024 MB, Force vSync, Fast video memory. General: The default values are "Keep window aspect ratio", "Capture mouse".
* Without voodoo, I personally have some not comfortable enough lags.
3. Start the game.

Installing and launching the original MechCommander 2:

0. Download the disk image from, for example, here https://www.old-games.ru/game/download/1692.html, mount it and install the game. You can use free version of Daemon Tools Lite for it, https://www.daemon-tools.cc/rus/products/dtLite#install-dtLite-offer
1. Put the attached Mc2Rel.exe in the folder with the game, for example C:\MechCommander2, with the replacement. Run the game. CD will be needed to run the game.
2. A license agreement will pop up - accept it. Next, the game will tell you that it need to determine the graphic settings and may crash with an error. Do not pay attention, start the game again.
3. In the settings, disable "Hardware mouse update".
4. Resolution. I recommend to set 1024x768x32 if you have a resolution of 1920x1080.

Maybe this helps? Found here.

Albert Einstein

I just tried installing MCO 628 on Win 10. There were some graphical issues and the game was running with pretty poor frame rate.
Here's a screenshot from the main menu:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/504754524079259678/609948771157016595/unknown.png
Here's the mission briefing screen:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/504754524079259678/609948748574883850/unknown.png

I tried that DgVoodoo2_55_4 stuff in the post above, that fixed those graphic errors, but it also made the game run waaay slower and the mouse cursor was constantly blinking.

Edit: Actually, I just noticed the problem: You have to disable hardware mouse in the options. That fixes the slowdown and cursor blinking with Voodoo. The game is still a bit laggy, but it's playable.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 09:00:48 pm by Destragon »

The first picture you refer to with the bad resolution is what I get for all pictures like mech icons, pilot icons etc.
The game itself runs a little slow but OK in any resolution. In addition the ground textures while gaming show reduced color depth. The objects on the map look OK. I Have these effects only in fresh Win10 installations; legacy gaming stuff is activated and non of any compatibility modes work in any way better.

The interesting thing is that after upgrades from win7 or win8.1 to win10 The game runs perfectly fine (no compatibility settings, not even legacy stuff activated) it is crisp, fast and as intended.

Almost everything proposed on the web anywhere was tested by me and did nothing to fix it; fresh install of directX or similar did not make any difference. I did not try the "voodoo" files  and continue to believe that it must be something simple that is different between upgrade and fresh install. Some setting or feature that needs to be activated/changed and is not the obvious.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:38:15 pm by wolfman-x »

Here is the solution for all the issues I experienced. It fixes the same issues I had with MCO and MC2X on my win10 installation.
The solution was found by Dege after I contacted him. See: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=54886&start=20#p782458

Key is to delete the file imagehelp.dll  in binaries folder. In addition  dgVoodoo 2.61 can/should be used.
No compatibility mode or any other tweaks or tricks required anymore here.
 I just integrated his solution and files to be released in all future MC2X packages.
See Dege's website here:    http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html

Thank you, Dege !

Offline Seriona

I just did exactly what was posted and the main screen is incredibly cleaner than before, that may off been the issue. Unfortunately, it did not solve my problem. I tested the default Carver V campaign and when I beat the first mission, when I get to the mission select screen. I still can't see the bottom half below the briefing thus I can't continue.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:31:13 pm by Seriona »

you should try dgvoodoo2 now. The graphics quality is now good because you deleted the original asset file that messed everything up.

Offline Seriona

It's cut below the bottom so I think it's a lack of wide screen.