Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 908568 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
If the Bifrost is weak right now that's probably because it is hard as hell/impossible to intercept.

Daaaamn, three Titans in the Sol theater?! At once?! The GTVA could burn all three UEF destroyers in three minutes.

UEF strikecraft may be really good, but the Imperiuse blitzed Earth and Luna with its air wing alone. Now imagine all those strikecraft condensed into one place. A Solaris would have trouble getting even one torpedo through that.

The Erebus may be the hip & trendy new destroyer class, but the Titan seems damn near unstoppable.
"Obviously the meson bomb is a form of cat-toast-device, with the buttered toast inverted, so that the cat and toast both fly in the direction of gravity much faster than expected. By introducing artificial gravity, a pair of cat-toast perpetual motion accelerator units can be made to collide with one another, and they produce an unimaginably devastating explosion. Both cats are named 'Meson'."

- Wikileaks 2383

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
No Titan can punch through plot armor!  :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Check out how fast a Titan goes down to bomber attack without its ‘plot armor’ (i.e. canonical defensive systems).

Wouldn't it be reasonable for GTVA to built the Titan (or at least a subtype) with heavy armor, and more point defense if that is everything needed for a perfect all-around carrier-type destroyer?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The Titan does have heavy armor, though.

Speaking of subtypes, did GTVA (or pehabs UEF as it fits their doctrine better) thought about modular ships at some point? I mean something like a bigger (and hence more balanced) Mjolnir (or an addontional fighterbay) that could be mounted on their capships if the mission requires it, for which the destroyer would only serve as transporting vehicle (and maybe powersource).

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Actually, the Titan is semi-modular. Its fighterbay block can supposedly be replaced with a cryogenic facility.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

An interesting detail indeed, I wasn't aware of that. :) Yet I was wondering whether GTVA/UEF considered adaptional features useful. Something like that has been used for fighters in the campaign, but it would have much greater effect if used on warships.

Offline Snarks

Actually, the Titan is semi-modular. Its fighterbay block can supposedly be replaced with a cryogenic facility.

Where does this bit of info come from?

Final line of GTD Titans tech description:

Conspiracy theorists often debate whether a module exists to replace the hangar bay with a long-term habitat so the Titan could serve as a deep-space ark.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
*laughs in littoral combat ship*

Seriously though that IS a good idea, and it’d be kind of neat if ships could carry armed cargo on their dock ports...

But one big focus of the TEI designs was strategic endurance, and while that lends itself to modular and easily repaired weapon/armor mounts, it means you want your ship to be a tightly integrated and very stable piece of machinery. Big detachable mission modules (like those which have failed so badly on the LCS) and a multipurpose frame weren’t as important as having a single, reliable, easily repaired design.

I actually had something like the Arcadia extensions in mind, just for moving ships. As for BP purpose I think it would've been a way for UEF to get something to counter the damage/sec potential of GTVAs beams and have their own shock jump strategy (in case their subspace drives can handle that of course) by mounting containers that fire volleys of missiles. It would've been a quick-and-dirty solution, sure, but it could work.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Strapping big things onto your warships when you depend on those same warships' robustness, maintability, and strategic agility is not necessarily a good idea.

Offline crizza

So, with Eos being send to a tagged ship through subspace, would targeting pods work?
For the forum game I participate right now I have that fancy idea of targeting pods, installed into a secondary bank.
Tried and proven usefull in todays combat, it's just the same: Guiding a missile to the point you want it to impact, as opposed to the Eos just pummeling a warship.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
You mean TAG missiles, I guess. They exist in FS, but in retail they were mostly used for assisting capships' AAA guns to reliably hit targets in environments where they can't target them properly.
In BP, subspace missile strikes are either vectored in by AWACS ships (examples: WiH Act 1, Collateral Damage and Darkest Hour) or by TAG missile strikes from fighters (WiH Act 2, Delenda Est).
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline crizza

I know, but the Eos will just strike the target at random.
I'm speaking of have them target designated turrets or subsystems.

Edit: Gorgons are able to launch local SSM strikes as well.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I think he means more along the lines of a sniper targeting pod or something, except you are designating for some huge missile strike onto some precision part of a warship (blowing out a frigates engines, knocking out a corvettes frontal beams).

I dunno, you could have all sorts of countermeasure related excuses to claim why such a thing wouldn't be viable canonically since it isn't neccesarily all that implementable, but it sounds like a potentially fun mechanic.

Offline crizza

Yeah, I'm about to use it for storytelling purposes.
Pegasi jumping in, reporting targets, painting shivan beam cannons so SSM strikes can take the beams out before allied ships jump in.
Just like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper_Advanced_Targeting_Pod

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
I believe SSMs can and do actually target specific subsystems and turrets(though my relevant knowledge is from direct targeted SSMs instead of with TAGs), but the missile arrives at a randomized location so there's no guarantee that it will be able to hit the targeted part rather than some other blocking part of the target ship.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."