Author Topic: PXO  (Read 7909 times)

Offline Iron Wolf

• Shzam!
How do I join up? I'm looking for Freespace multiplayer games, and would this help me find some?

What other methods would you reccomend for find FS2 multiplayer games?
Come on now, be honest. Wouldn't you all rather listen to your hairdressers than Hercules? Or Horatius? Or Orpheus? All those old bores! people so lofty they sound as if they s**t marble! - Mozart, Amadeus

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
stolen from http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267 and modified a bit.

How to get Freespace 2 Multiplayer working

By: MatthewPapa (edited by Turey)

NOTE: These instructions assume that you have a fresh freespace 2 install. If you have any previous modifications or campaigns installed there is a good chance that this tutorial may not work properly for you.

1. Firstly go register a multiplayer account here. Be sure to write down/remember your multiplayer account information!!

2. Download FreeSpace Open here.

3. Click on Start>All Programs>Games>FreeSpace 2>FreeSpace Open Launcher 5.4. Go to the MOD tab and hit No MOD. You may adjust all the other settings in the launcher to your preference, but be sure and leave networking ON. Click apply when done.

4. If you are behind a router or firewall you will need to forward port 7808 both UDP and TCP to your computer. It is critical that you do this or other people WILL NOT be able to join or even see your games! They may show up on the site, but people WILL NOT be able to see or join them in the game. Consult your router/firewall documentation for more info on forwarding ports. It will probably look something like this:

IF THIS IS NOT DONE PROPERLY, IT MAY SERIOUSLY DIMINISH YOUR FS2NETD EXPERIENCE!!

5. Open up Freespace 2 via the launcher by clicking run. Tab over to multiplayer on the choose pilot screen and create a new pilot. It is preferrable that the pilot that you create be the same name as your account name that you created earlier (avoids some confusion for new people.)

6. Go to Freespace 2 preferences now and then go to the sub-tab "multi preferences." Select PXO and then type in your multiplayer username and password (the one you registered earlier.)

You can safely leave the "squadron" field blank.

7. Pilot, you are now qualified to fly FS2NetD! Good luck. Click on the main door to host or join your first multiplayer game!

Extra files that you might need later when you get better:

Working table files. If you are getting the message "you have hacked tables" then unzip this in the \data\tables\ directory. File.

Valid multiplayer missions (ones that cound on your score) File1. File2. Voices (optional)

Thanks to MatthewPapa for 99% of this post.

EDIT: Stupid differences in URL tags. Fixed all of them.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 08:06:15 pm by Turey »
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Iron Wolf

• Shzam!
Your first link doesn't work.
Come on now, be honest. Wouldn't you all rather listen to your hairdressers than Hercules? Or Horatius? Or Orpheus? All those old bores! people so lofty they sound as if they s**t marble! - Mozart, Amadeus

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Iron Wolf

• Shzam!
Okay, do I need freespace open? Second, the FS open says it's for the retail version. Mine’s downloaded

Sorry if I’m going a bit slow, but I want everything to be perfect.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Okay, do I need freespace open? Second, the FS open says it's for the retail version. Mine’s downloaded
Sorry if I’m going a bit slow, but I want everything to be perfect.

where did you get FreeSpace 2?

The Installer SHOULD work with a prior install of FreeSpace Open, but I haven't had time to check that on more than one computer.

Try it and see.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

The difference between retail and HotU is that you don't have the CDs and you don't have the mve cutscenes. Apart from that they're the same as far as FS2_Open is concerned.

Offline Iron Wolf

• Shzam!

The difference between retail and HotU is that you don't have the CDs and you don't have the mve cutscenes. Apart from that they're the same as far as FS2_Open is concerned.

Open works!

Although, I have to ask, are these pictures from a version still being developed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Freespace2Open_Screen01.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Htlsobekflak.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fs2_scp_deimos.png

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Nope. But most people miss that adding the custom flag -ambient_factor 70 in the launcher makes things look a hell of a lot better in-game.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
And for the best visuals, be sure to have up-to-date media VPs:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,39905.0.html

Ah. Since someone else has asked about the wikipedia images, I think I shall too. About this image in particular:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Htlasteroids.jpg

Now that looks like Bloom or HDR effectations. I looked on that MediaVP thread that you linked, but there seems to be no mention of bloom. Is this just some clever photoshopping, or is it actually an effect? (And if so, where can I get it, IWANTITIWANTITIWANTIT etc.)

Thanks very muchly.
"Yn'gnl sh'g: D'phnegul k'tha dugh, ughl'nigu'ra ulfn'ahk y'ngwu Maghoor-N'kyah? F'nakhr ugh'r'yheh liung'ngu a'Phtak'lu, hfir'knia y'nu h'lyeahugha Oprah rg'ynh."

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Note that this image uses a post processing filter to produce the blurred effect which is available only with certain video cards and is not a native part of the FreespaceOpen Engine.

Basically it's using the smartshader properties of certain ATI cards to fake bloom external to the engine. A search of the forum for HDRLite should turn it up IIRC.

Note that this image uses a post processing filter to produce the blurred effect which is available only with certain video cards and is not a native part of the FreespaceOpen Engine.

Basically it's using the smartshader properties of certain ATI cards to fake bloom external to the engine. A search of the forum for HDRLite should turn it up IIRC.

I've checked my Ati Catalyst Control Centre, and it doesn't seem to be present. They've probably removed it.
"Yn'gnl sh'g: D'phnegul k'tha dugh, ughl'nigu'ra ulfn'ahk y'ngwu Maghoor-N'kyah? F'nakhr ugh'r'yheh liung'ngu a'Phtak'lu, hfir'knia y'nu h'lyeahugha Oprah rg'ynh."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, it was removed in the 6.4 drivers. You have to rollback to 6.3 to use it (and I'm not sure if CCC ever supported it anyway; ATI Tray Tools lets you enable it). Depending on what card you have, that may or may not be an issue.

Offline Iron Wolf

• Shzam!
well, yay.

It seems that I had a regitration e-mailsent to me from that site, but it never arrived.

Yeah, it was removed in the 6.4 drivers. You have to rollback to 6.3 to use it (and I'm not sure if CCC ever supported it anyway; ATI Tray Tools lets you enable it). Depending on what card you have, that may or may not be an issue.

Thanks. But for now, Freespace 2 is purdy enough. A tremendous effort for a seven-year old game. :D

Offline Iron Wolf

• Shzam!
Nope. But most people miss that adding the custom flag -ambient_factor 70 in the launcher makes things look a hell of a lot better in-game.

How do you put that in?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
in the features tab, in the box that says something like "custom flags"