Author Topic: [question] control scheme for a game  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
[question] control scheme for a game
So I've been screwing around with the UDK lately (yes, it does feel a bit like cheating on FS but I've always been a bit on the evil side). Anyway, I'm planning on doing a simple, arcade-style game with probably some mathematical overtones.

Anyhoo, I need suggestions for a control scheme for the game. I plan for the movement/navigation to be done mainly with the mouse in the style of Grid Wars, but I also want it entirely in 3D- so the player can move freely about in all 3 dimensions. I don't want a 6DOF game. The player should be mainly concerned with moving about, not turning to face a direction.

The control scheme I've been considering the most is entirely mouse-based and simple- mouse movement controls player movement in x and y, and the scroll wheel controls movement in z. There is no 'direction' the player is facing, and the scene is viewed from the top down. It's simple, and (I would think) easy to use without even much practice.

Another possibility is turning the viewpoint with the mouse, and moving left/right/up/down/forward/back from the screen's perspective possibly using the keyboard. This has the advantage of making the game fully 3D to the point that z is indistinguishable from x and y- but it's more "6DOF-ish" than I'd like (for instance, I'd like a top-down camera) and it isn't fully analog. I'd like to stick to the mouse (or joystick, or whatever the player prefers) if possible.

Any suggestions?

Offline Davros

Re: [question] control scheme for a game
A top down 6dof doesnt really make sense

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Mouse movement --> player movement is not so great (especially if the game area isn't limited to the window size). You have to pick the mouse up to move, and whatnot. The mouse is good for quick long-distance motions and slow but precise motions... extended movements with any decent speed aren't really doable with a mouse.

Maybe just put limitations on how far from "upright" your pawn is (from here on I'll assume it's a ship of some sort). Then you can't do a barrel roll or a somersault except maybe as some sort of special move, à la Star Fox, and when you're doing that, you can use all that UDK state-machine stuff to make sure it finishes the maneuver and levels out.

Actually, upon re-reading, it kinda seems like you're not sure what you want.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Actually, upon re-reading, it kinda seems like you're not sure what you want.

That's my main problem :/

I'm really just screwing around with UDK atm. There's a good chance I'll do some concept stuff, finish a few game mechanics, then abandon the project.

Grid Wars uses mouse movement, and it's really what I'm trying to simulate in terms of player movement. Except for the direction the laser fires- if I make the game as I'm planning to at the moment, the player might not even have a 'direction'.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Grid Wars uses mouse movement

Only if you have it set to use mouse movement. It's got a handful of control modes available :P