Author Topic: FreeSpace refuses to start.  (Read 2818 times)

FreeSpace refuses to start.
When I fire up FreeSpace 1, the launcher works, but when I click play, nothing happens.

My system Specs:
Windows XP
AMD Sempron 3000+
Radeon 9800 PRO (Second hand)
1 gb ram
sound card and stuff intigrated.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: FreeSpace refuses to start.
Have you patched it? How about setting the compatability to Windows 98?

Or better yet, download FS Open and the Port and use that!  :nod:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

We've got more than a few FS1 complaints recently, and we've just given them all the same advice. Maybe start a troubleshooting FAQ, finally?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
We've got more than a few FS1 complaints recently, and we've just given them all the same advice. Maybe start a troubleshooting FAQ, finally?

That'd be fine, if anyone remembered how to fix FS1's problems. I know that I got it working fine on XP, through a very contrived hack, which I don't think will work for anyone not using the "Bundled with Thinkcentre" version.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I use FS1 on my Athlon 3200+, 2GB RAM, nVidia 6200 256 SB Live! 5.1, XP Pro SP2 (should be same as XP Home SP2) with no problems, I have the Launcher running in compatibility mode for '98/Me (as anything spawned by a compatibility mode program is also run in compatibility mode).

In the Launcher, the Video should be "direct 3d"...
Hang on a sec.. I'm using version 1.06EAX, (latest) what version are you using?  Get the 10x-106 patch, then the 106-106EAX patch.  I can find linkys if you need them.