Author Topic: Using SVN for FSCRP?  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Fabian

• AI Code Modulator
    Temporal Mechanic
Using SVN for FSCRP?
Hallo All,

I just read the thread on S:AH and there Mobius wrote "Can't remember all the other changes ..."

As the .fc2 file is a text based format, I suggest using some kind of version control, which lets us track changes much better and also have a versioning history with full changelog.

Also it can still be downloaded directly via WebBrowser if the need is there.

Also it gives members the possibility to work concurrently on it.

Just an idea to improve the Workflow.

(And Tortoise SVN is really easy to use, too).

If the idea is good, I think the best way is to contact taylor from the SCP team to discuss an own branch for the FSCRP.

Best Wishes,

Fabian

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
SVN for projects is good -- it's used on Scroll of Atankharzim and Wing Commander Saga, for example.

However, creating a SCP branch for FSCRP is NOT good and will not be approved.  You'll have to find your own hosting solution.  Scroll uses https://opensvn.csie.org/ which is free but slow.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
... and Saga is using a dedicated hosting solution, which is fast, but expensive... sort of.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis