Author Topic: Ryleh Campaign (FS1)  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Yarn

Goober has requested that I ask you guys about restoring Ryleh Campaign by Michael Diedrich*. We already have the missions converted and modified slightly, but they still need some work. Here's what we have so far:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/89353583/FreeSpace/ryleh.zip

*Most of the links on that page are broken since they point to a previous domain name. To fix them, replace "www.megsinet.net" with "members.core.com".
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
We worked on this about three years ago.  I converted the missions to FSPort, added backgrounds and fixed some minor problems.  I used a Capella background for the missions.  We couldn't get anyone interested at the time with doing anything further. 
see topic: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=60336.0
Other than conversion, what has been done to the missions that are in the drop box?
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Oh wow.  I completely forgot having posted that. :nervous:  I suppose I'll need to start keeping notes now...

Anyway, all we've done is conversion and fixing a few sexp bugs.  Nothing major.  Per Zarathud's comments on the earlier thread, it sounds like he'd be fine if we just released the first two missions.  The other three were not as much fun to play.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Why do I keep reading the name as R'lyeh?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Macfie

I can't seem to get through the first mission.  I don't remember having this much difficulty when I played it before.  I tried reducing the difficulty level but even on very easy I can't make it to the end without being the only GTA fighter left and getting blown up.  I don't know if the AI changes since 2009 make the mission more difficult or if I've just forgotten.  I'm thinking about changing the loadout on the HOL fighters and bombers.  The avengers seem to just tear the shieldless fighters to shreds.  If I use the VLL-9 it would drop the damage some.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I had a tough time too.  I finally made it through the mission by just staying away from the node and letting my wingmen have first crack at the arriving fighters.

It would be worth trying this mission on retail or earlier FSO builds to see if there are indeed any AI differences.

Offline Macfie

I tried the same strategy but usually ended up with my wingman gone and the stealth bombers heading for the station.  Then while trying to take out the bombers I'd usually get blown away by the avenger cannons mounted on the bomber and bomber turrets.  I'm wondering if the station turrets would be able to handle the bombers.  The second mission seems so much easier after playing the first one.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I can't seem to get through the first mission.  I don't remember having this much difficulty when I played it before.  I tried reducing the difficulty level but even on very easy I can't make it to the end without being the only GTA fighter left and getting blown up.  I don't know if the AI changes since 2009 make the mission more difficult or if I've just forgotten.  I'm thinking about changing the loadout on the HOL fighters and bombers.  The avengers seem to just tear the shieldless fighters to shreds.  If I use the VLL-9 it would drop the damage some.

AI changes? There shouldn't be any AI changes under default profile...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Well if it was originally a FS1 campaign, not FSPort, then there are definitely changes between FS1's default AI and FS2's default AI...
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
And there could be inadvertent AI changes introduced through bugs.

Offline Macfie

It appears there were some changes in difficulty.  It wasn't specifically the AI.
See this ticket
http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=2788
and this thread
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=83631.msg1671333;topicseen#msg1671333

Offline Macfie

With the fix to the difficulty problem in the nightlies, Ryleh is playing more as expected.  Once I get back home from the contract I'm working on, I hope to have something ready for a release.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions