Author Topic: Do you take suggestions on what campaigns to work on?  (Read 4185 times)

Offline Lorric

Do you take suggestions on what campaigns to work on?
Hello. I was wondering how you decide what to work on. Just amongst yourselves, or do you take outside input? I was looking at the "Campaigns whose restoration has started [updated 30/03/13]" sticky, and I see it was updated just last month, and you are not currently working on anything, and have nothing planned for working on in the future. So I would like to again bring Incursion and it's sequel Return to Sol back into the picture, as CT27 suggested:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85423.0

Links to the two campaigns are in that thread. I don't know what it takes for a campaign to be considered good enough to work on, or if age is a factor and it's not old enough (Incursion is 7.25 years old) but you could do a lot worse I'm sure. Give Incursion a try, play it and see if you like it. Though don't judge it on the first few missions as the maker's FREDding skills pick up significantly after the first few missions. Return to Sol is not as good as it's predecessor, but you've still got two enjoyable and lengthy campaigns here that don't even come with vp, mod.ini files or starfield skyboxes, let alone voice acting. I think they'd be great candidates for an upgrade myself, or at least Incursion, but both would be ideal.

Anyway, has anyone ever played one or both of them? If not, go on one of you. Try Incursion. I don't think you'll be disappointed even if you decide not to work on the campaign/s.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Re: Do you take suggestions on what campaigns to work on?
What level of upgrade are you looking for?
I could probably put out a version compatible with the latest nightly and the 2014 Media VP beta 2 in a short period of time.  It would still have all the original gameplay and backgrounds.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Lorric

What level of upgrade are you looking for?
I could probably put out a version compatible with the latest nightly and the 2014 Media VP beta 2 in a short period of time.  It would still have all the original gameplay and backgrounds.
Hi.

I would be very pleased with something compatible with the latest stable build that could be played like most mods can rather than having to shift files around Freespace folders and then having to take them out when wanting to play something else. I believe that's what CT27 was hoping for as well. Oh and add the Starfield skybox to the missions. :)

Offline Macfie

That's doable.  I'll try to get something out before the new year.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Lorric

That's doable.  I'll try to get something out before the new year.
Wonderful! Thank you very much! :D

Both campaigns?

Offline Macfie

Both campaigns.  They will be combined in a single folder and share common assets.  Right now I'm in the testing mode using the latest nightly build and the new Media VP beta.

Offline Lorric

Both campaigns.  They will be combined in a single folder and share common assets.  Right now I'm in the testing mode using the latest nightly build and the new Media VP beta.
That's an interesting idea. Combine them and make them into one giant 46 mission campaign. I like it! :D

Again, thanks. And I hope you enjoy actually playing the campaigns as you go along as much as I did. :)

Offline CT27

Either this or using the 2012 media vp files would work great.

Glad to hear there's hope for this. :)

Offline Macfie

That's an interesting idea. Combine them and make them into one giant 46 mission campaign. I like it! :D

Again, thanks. And I hope you enjoy actually playing the campaigns as you go along as much as I did. :)

I'm not creating one big campaign just putting it all in a single folder rather than having separate assets for each campaign.  As far as the testing if it works with the 2014 media VPs it will work with the  3.6.12 media VPs.  I'll probably tie it to the 3.6.12 MVPs but may include an extra mod.ini for the 2014 edition

Offline Lorric

I see.

Two mod.inis? How will it know which one to use, or how will I know how to make it use the one I want it to? I haven't come across that before.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
(they'll probably have different filenames and you need to rename them in order to activate 2014 vs 3.6.12)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Macfie

Something like mod.ini.3612 or mod.ini.2014.  then you just rename the file for the one you want to use by deleting everything after ini

Offline Lorric

I'm not sure if I understand, so let's cross that bridge when we come to it. :)

Offline CT27

Again, this is great news that these two campaigns may be playable again at some point.

Offline CT27

Mediavps2014 is finalized.

Offline Lorric

Mediavps2014 is finalized.
I would still like to see 3.6.12 to clarify. I still have 3.6.12 and won't be upgrading any time soon. He said he would do two mod.inis and I hope it will stay that way.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
For the completionists of us, I'd like to see all of the FS1 Campaigns and FS2 Campaigns from the old VolitionWatch Archives available somewhere, whether or not they're restored via FSCRP... :nervous:

Offline Macfie

I think most if not all of the campaigns from the Volitionwatch Archives are available on freespacemods.net