Author Topic: Coming Soon, The Lightning Marshal restored  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Coming Soon, The Lightning Marshal restored
Currently working on a restoration of the Lightning Marshal using the original Freespace 2 gameplay.  It will incorporate the voice acting from fightermedic's release but the campaigns will be restored closer to the original release.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline CT27

Re: Coming Soon, The Lightning Marshal restored
So this will basically be the Lightning Marshall campaigns with normal FS2 physics?  Sounds good to me.

Offline Fregle

will you also be changing the moving aim indicator and revert to a lead indicator?

Why? The easiest way to use vectoring software for ballistics is by having a moving lead indicator and a fixed aim indicator, not a moving aim indicator and a moving target. It's sheer madness to try to connect 2 moving dots in your view (it's hard enough to connect a fixed one to a moving one), I just manoeuvred until I was up close and personal, where the indicator wasn't necessary anymore (or like in IL-2 Sturmovik 1946: through guessing and experience). Even if it's done to make the campaign more difficult, it just breaks the immersion for me, because no military engineer would ever decide to make a device harder to use than before. And I would love to play this campaign because I can see from the first mission that it's a good one, the indicator is the only thing that stops me.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't like that gunsight style either, but you're wrong about military engineers. That design is used on modern fighter HUDs.

Offline Fregle

It is? Then there must be a good reason for that. Either they can't reliably calculate the lead with the data they're getting from the sensors, or there's a tactical reason that I don't know about.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The primary advantage is that you can keep your eyes on the target as you aim. It's one of several selectable gunsight modes.

I'm guessing that in modern fighters the movement of the target and the gunsight isn't as fast as in freespace.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm guessing that in modern fighters the movement of the target and the gunsight isn't as fast as in freespace.

Longer ranges but infinitely worse speed. 200m at 450 knots is generally worse than FS.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Fregle

Phantom Hoover: You can't manoeuvre an atmospheric fighter like a housefly. Aerodynamics, energy management, gravity, ground and ceiling do not promote wild twisting and turning unless you're in a biplane or a triplane (but back in those days there was no vectoring software). So yes, this gunsight and the target won't be moving all over the HUD like in Operation Savior or the Lightning Marshal.

General Battuta: Thank you for explaining, that does make a lot of sense. Due the reasons mentioned above, keeping your eyes on the target is much more important in a jet fighter. You spend most of your time moving into a position where you have an opportunity to line up a shot. In Freespace the conditions are very different though (the proof is in the controls, since you control yaw with the stick axis that is used for banking in atmospheric conditions). Those conditions need a different gunsight. :) I'm glad you agree with me on that one. But you also say it's one of several gunsight modes, might it be possible to support several gunsight modes in the FS2 open engine?

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
will you also be changing the moving aim indicator and revert to a lead indicator?

Why? The easiest way to use vectoring software for ballistics is by having a moving lead indicator and a fixed aim indicator, not a moving aim indicator and a moving target. It's sheer madness to try to connect 2 moving dots in your view (it's hard enough to connect a fixed one to a moving one), I just manoeuvred until I was up close and personal, where the indicator wasn't necessary anymore (or like in IL-2 Sturmovik 1946: through guessing and experience). Even if it's done to make the campaign more difficult, it just breaks the immersion for me, because no military engineer would ever decide to make a device harder to use than before. And I would love to play this campaign because I can see from the first mission that it's a good one, the indicator is the only thing that stops me.

Everything will be back to the original including the aim/lead indicator
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I like TLM, I like Taskforce Panda, I like the classics.

This remake pleases me.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png