Author Topic: RELEASE: The Aftermath Reboot  (Read 162072 times)

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Re: RELEASE: The Aftermath Reboot

When I was making the Reboot, I didn't scrap the original code just add some code... I did not erase the original "continue" SEXP. I realized that in the latest FSO built, it will cause a problem. Probably beause the latest CPUs, them with multi cores, multi threads are no longer linear in processing things.

It's defintely not a parallel processing thing, sexp processing doesn't do that and it'd take a spectacular screwup if it ever does in a way that would create this problem.

But there have been changes, some intentional and some not, that can break things like this. Using the 3.7.2 engine is definitely the right thing to do unless that version is entirely unusable for you for some reason. That goes for any older mod, really, of course for whatever version they were made for.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!

When I was making the Reboot, I didn't scrap the original code just add some code... I did not erase the original "continue" SEXP. I realized that in the latest FSO built, it will cause a problem. Probably beause the latest CPUs, them with multi cores, multi threads are no longer linear in processing things.

It's defintely not a parallel processing thing, sexp processing doesn't do that and it'd take a spectacular screwup if it ever does in a way that would create this problem.

I see. Well, I just assume computers work that way, them with their multi-cores.

I made this mod with the ancient FSO 372 and still using it. For some reasons, it did not have any problems even with the 372 Debug build. So the bug was overlooked.

Offline ryanchealth

• Why did I want a job at 16?
I am not a programmer or familiar with FRED.  How exactly do I fix this?  I finish the Adhara mission and complete everything but it wont let me progress to the next level.

Ryan

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I am not a programmer or familiar with FRED.  How exactly do I fix this?  I finish the Adhara mission and complete everything but it wont let me progress to the next level.

I am currently making my playthrough with Reboot and TBG . I am way past the "Adhara Exodus" and "Avenging Adhara." I don't see any bugs. The missions, I mean all the missions until my current mission (Act 9) doesn't have any problems.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I am doing a playthrough and I am now in Act 9. So far no game breaking problems. Although, I made some adjustments/improvements to some of the missions. And some grammar checks and changes in the narrative, dialogues, and others. So another update is coming to both AF Reboot and TBG. Just a small download, 1mb at least (because it's just the mission files (both AFMissionV1.vp and AFMissionV2.vp files)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Update upcoming in a few days...

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
NEW UPDATE:

New update: Download these files. This will replace the old files in the "Aftermath" folder.

DOWNLOAD LINK: (MediaFire)

Main Files:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/d06n0ek5esi1lu3/AFRoot2022.rar/file

For the alternate upbeat campaign:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/jn7vrk71r9zqemo/AFCampV2U2022.rar/file

Extract these files (the "Aftermath" folder) to Freespace 2 root folder or where Knossos places the mod folder (I don't know where).

The Opening Post is also updated.

Offline CT27

An fyi for people:

What Herkie calls the 'alternate' campaign is actually the canon for Reboot (it actually only changes one of the last missions and the ending).  TBG follows that ending.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Your ships.tbl has typos. The attached version has those typos fixed.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/b44dy2b4rtvjvmq/AF1ships.zip/file
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline CT27

Thank you again MJN for the work you've done on this.  I'm not a FRED or design or technical expert, I'm just a writer and a messenger at this point since Herkie doesn't get on here much anymore. 

Just to be sure you see it (I posted this in red's stream thread but this is the more official place for it), would it be possible to put the "Alternate Campaign Ending" file Herkie listed in the OP on here
https://fsnebula.org/mod/AftermathReboot
too?

Thank you.

P.S.:  Looking forward to BTA 2. :)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Your ships.tbl has typos. The attached version has those typos fixed.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/b44dy2b4rtvjvmq/AF1ships.zip/file

Thanks. MJN

Actually, I haven't done any editing in that file. The update only covered some adjustments in few missions.

Offline Thivvs

Guys I found an issue in The aftermath and can't progress in the campaign. FSO 22.0, mission "A case of dejavu" :
- Gamma wing bombers have 3 slots for secondaries but the middle one is empty. All weapons are already distributed and I'm getting msg that the only empty missle bank can be the last one. But I can't move helios to the second one and I can't put any other tornados or trebs or screamers to slot 2 from other ships.

Any idea how to solve this one quickly? I believe it wasn't happening on older FSO versions.
The only thing which works to start the mission is remove helios bombs at all from the bombers and it's doable to pass without them.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Guys I found an issue in The aftermath and can't progress in the campaign. FSO 22.0, mission "A case of dejavu" :
- Gamma wing bombers have 3 slots for secondaries but the middle one is empty. All weapons are already distributed and I'm getting msg that the only empty missle bank can be the last one. But I can't move helios to the second one and I can't put any other tornados or trebs or screamers to slot 2 from other ships.

Hit "RESET" button in the weapons loadout and don't touch the missile loadouts for those bombers. You can set their primaries though.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
LATEST UPDATE RELEASED

Download Link:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/5kw5imma680bs5p/AFR-Update-7-2022.rar/file

Download the latest update. The download will replace the AF-Root.vp, AF-MissionsV1.vp, and the AF-Extra.vp files.

Opening Post is also updated

Offline CT27

So how do the different versions of AFR work now?

What I mean is how does one play the canon version and the (original but now non-canon) version?

Do we still need both "AF-MissionsV1" and "V2"?

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
So how do the different versions of AFR work now?

What I mean is how does one play the canon version and the (original but now non-canon) version?

Do we still need both "AF-MissionsV1" and "V2"?

You just need the AF-CampaignV1. Discard the V2. Both campaign will show up now in the campaign room.

I should have renamed the "AF-CampaignV1" to just "AF-Campaign" but the V1 is what Knossos has. They just have replace the VPs.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 10:23:40 pm by herkie423 »

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
The "Alternate" campaign is now named as the "Canon Version" in the campaign room. The original version is now called... well, the "Original Version."

Offline CT27

I was able to start my test playthrough of AFR a little early.  I used FSO 22.0 and MVPs 4.6.X.

Some bad news:  Early on, I had the same problem I had before with the Corsair and Denver.  The Corsair docked but even after Esquire said he was ready to leave the Corsair never moved.

Offline CT27

Also, I don't know if this would make a difference or matters or not, but:

In versions where this mission doesn't work (Corsair won't move after docking with Denver), it fires green shots.  On versions where it does work (19.0 FSO and 4.0 MVPs), the Corsair fires what looks like golden shots.

And I did test this new version of AFR with 19.0 and 4.0 MVPs (on this mission in the techroom), the Corsair would undock with the Denver and the mission was able to be completed as intended.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Last update of AFR is now on Knossos
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.