Author Topic: Why is Diaspora listed six times on Knossos?  (Read 4495 times)

Offline wesp5

Why is Diaspora listed six times on Knossos?
And why do five times of these seem to be the same mod? Shouldn't this be listed under Diaspora itself?

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Re: Why is Diaspora listed six times on Knossos?
Check out Anardil's threads in the dev blog subforum. In short, a batch of different versions of a tweak/fanpatch mod. Unfortunately the current Knossos doesn't really have a good way to better organize this kind of thing, though there really should be clear titling and descriptions of these mods.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline wesp5

Unfortunately the current Knossos doesn't really have a good way to better organize this kind of thing, though there really should be clear titling and descriptions of these mods.

Can't it be made that submods only get an undersection below the main game/mod? Like in The Babylon Project you have the option to install cockpits when installing the main game.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That would require Diaspora to make this an official package and release a new version.

The solution is for Knossos to "have a good way to better organize this kind of thing" as EatThePath put it. That's supposedly coming one day.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well, you could make a mod that consists only of optional packages... with a info that a user should install only one of them at the same time for the desired use it should be possible to have only one listed Mod on Knossos.

But i am not sure if you trust the user with too much self-responsibility then. My experience is that too many people do not even read the mod info :/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 11:05:41 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
There is also the issue that, while it works for developer-mode mods, package selection on launch doesn't work properly for regular users. If they download multiple optional packages it'll load them all no matter what they do.

This is, thankfully, an issue being resolved by the knossos rewrite, which appears to be very close to ready to go.
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline wesp5

I reinstalled The Babylon Project today and looking at the standalon game section of Knossos right now, it seems as if all six Diaspora mods are exactly the same one called "Realistic flight stats for Diaspora ! (Able-v1.5b_Speed_x2_B_II)" version 2.3.7! Can somebody with access to Knossos please delete five of those and rename the last one to "Diaspora realistic flight stats" so it will get listed besides the main game? Right now it looks rather unprofessional for such an acclaimed mod...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 03:01:39 pm by wesp5 »

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
It looks like the mod descriptions, and possible the mod content I haven't downloaded them to check, got messed up at some point, but at the very least the initial upload of those five mods was of five variations on one idea. You have to go back to the first uploaded version of each one to see it, and scroll down to the content section of the description, to see the original intended version info, but it is there. As stated above, this is a bad way to present these variations but it may be the best way available in the current knossos. If they were actually five uploads of the exact same mod then deleting the duplicates would probably be appropriate, but in this case I don't think it is.