Author Topic: Steele, a theory  (Read 6647 times)

Offline Terminator

• Just another guy...
He's the admiral Sol deserves, but not the one it needs...

Offline Flak

I don't think he is Batman, he is Rommel.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
You know, that's not too bad of an analogy. Good call as well, I was reading (about) Rommel's book just now. :P

Offline -Sara-

And I have this stupid gut feeling that he is going to sacrifice himself for Earth's sake through a strange play of circumstances. In the end those guys always see the bigger picture and do the noble thing, reinforcing the whole "I'm doing it for their sake, even if they don't appreciate it". Can't wait to see who Steele really is, when presure and the final hour really push him to the edge.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 If UT has any degree of believability, he will charge a wall of Juggernauts & a Leviathan and get ROFLstomped. Of course, he's probably not that stupid in the real world, and that may just have been one way the whole thing could play out. It is a simulation after all.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If UT has any degree of believability, he will charge a wall of Juggernauts & a Leviathan and get ROFLstomped. Of course, he's probably not that stupid in the real world, and that may just have been one way the whole thing could play out. It is a simulation after all.

That doesn't happen in UT.

Offline -Sara-

I'm basing no assumption on UT. It's how that breed of character strikes me, there's always more to them. They're not the typical flat-character that needs killing, for the sake of 'good riddance'.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Gray113

• There comes a time when the odds are against you,
I hope you are given a choice regarding Steele's fate depending on the decisions that you make throughout the game, although this would probably make the plot for BP3 problematic.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 How so? According to 'Tutta you play as a 'Sudan

Offline Gray113

• There comes a time when the odds are against you,
I would still expect the most successful Terran admiral in the GTVA to get at least a mention in passing. A character mentioning that Steele got wasted by some crazy lesbian hippy would look daft if I choose not to kill him.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I don't think he is Batman, he is Rommel.

Steele is a far better officer than Rommel was. Rommel was an inspirational front-line genius but his skill as a manager of large enterprises was suspect. He was not a strategic or operational thinker, but a tactical one.

Steele has shown he can do all three, and more importantly, effectively integrate them.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 02:17:18 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline FIZ

No offense intended NG... but first thing that popped in my mind... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPIsSNEUmc4

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
No offense intended NG... but first thing that popped in my mind... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPIsSNEUmc4

We try to develop our fiction with an eye for this level of analysis.

Offline FIZ

Yeah, I know, and I respect that (exception that proves the rule above). 

Just me being silly after a long drive home.  I'll go back to lurking now. :warp:

Edit: (Trying to contribute and save face) Steele does have quite the logistical advantage over what Rommel had to keep parity.  Steele faces a siege on an unprecedented scale against an opponent that has been entirely self sufficient for quite some time.  Rommel... not so much.  After Africa, I do not think he was granted the same 'exception to the chain of command' that Steele now has at the conclusion of Act III.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:10:48 pm by FIZ »