Author Topic: Project Dark Storm  (Read 17356 times)

Hello everyone. I'd like to take a minute of your time to show a project that me and another member of the community are working. Up until now there have been some screenshots of Dark Storm and possibly some mentions of it. But what is Dark Storm really? What is the project like? Well, I hope to tell you that right here, in this preview.

Dark Storm is a two-man project, started off by a member of the community long ago. In time, it would change radically. What was originally made is now a mere shadow of what we currently have.

Dark Storm's storyline is focused on a dark conflict in Sol's history, set not too long ago after the devastating Great War.

"In the aftermath of a bloody revolution, the Galactic Terran Alliance has been shattered and divided into three sides. For over a decade, there is uneasy peace. Unforseeable events will shatter the peace between all sides and ignite a system-wide conflict. A Dark Storm looms overhead, but when it clears, Sol shall rise again......"

The story is being developed by me and ShadowGorrath.

------------------------------

Dark Storm is being developed on FSOpen 3.6.12, utilising many of its features and the MediaVPs. Here are some of the features it will have:

-Wide range of famous and new spacecraft designs
-Extensive soundtrack collection
-Two character-driven campaigns, telling stories from three diverse factions
-New arsenal of primary and secondary weapons
-Savage firefights
-Custom range of graphical and audio effects
-And much more

We're aiming to eventually be able to release the prologue chapter for the campaigns of Dark Storm. It will introduce players to the Dark Storm universe and some of its recurring characters while detailing the events leading up to the outbreak of a devastating war.

As part of this preview, we would like to reveal one of these factions to you, along with some eye candy. Below is the intelligence entry for the 'Terran Reformation Alliance', one of the three great powers of Sol:

"When the revolution reached its climax, the Galactic Terran Alliance suspended its agenda and reorganized itself as the Terran Reformation Alliance: a single authority that would dominate the planets beyond the main asteroid belt. Over the past decade, it has regained massive momentum and power lost when the Solar Federated Worlds overthrew its former reign. While the faces and locations have changed, the inner heart of the Alliance hasn't.

The planets under the TRA's control consist of Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto with two of its moons. During its early days, Pluto was chosen as the best strategic choice for capital world. The reason being was the still-weakened subspace field. Large regions of interference meant attempting access via subspace without prior knowledge was suicide. In recent years, this advantage has been completely neutralized by the field's recovery. Thus, the densely-populated Ganymede is now the TRA's capital.

Despite the recent changes in SFW society, the Alliance is considered as the most technologically advanced of the three superpowers. All TRA combat spacecraft are able to achieve sub-light speeds and maneuverability considered unnatural of their classifications. Vasudan-designed propulsion and reactor systems allow for greater energy efficiency in comparison to SFW designs. Additionally, it is the first faction to develop plasma-core beams, the second of the two beam technologies derived from the SD Lucifer. While requiring longer cool-down and cycle times between barrages, plasma beams have a far greater destructive potential.

Because of the regular ambition to preserve resources, Alliance military forces are considerably lower in fleet scale. However, TRA pilots and officers have the greatest level of field experience and expertise. They achieve this thanks to rigorous and long training regimes, as well as regular combat exercise drills. Furthermore, while they commonly-adjusted towards fighting defensively, TRA military forces excel in fighting offensively. They prefer to employ rapid-assault tactics and doctrines that maintain momentum.

The TRA seeks to achieve two goals: Reuniting all of Sol's societies and reforming the GTA is the first. Stabilizing and reopening the Delta Serpentis subspace node would be the next. They believe such an act is essential to the future survival of humanity. The node's reopening would allow Sol's descendants to reunite with the 'lost generation' and return to their former glory.

Past history means the TRA usually sits on thin ice when dealing with the Solar Federated Worlds. Meanwhile, it does have some peaceful relations with the Independent Colonial States. Peaceful co-existence has allowed for the breakup of much negativity and stereotyping. However, there is still some distance to cover between both sides, and the ICS remains steadfast in terms of remaining neutral."  

Description aside, here is some eye candy for you:

Hope you enjoyed this preview of Dark Storm, and that you look forward to seeing a released version of it!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 07:23:32 pm by starwolf1991 »
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
After asking on Sectorgame I'm told this is not the Dawn of Sol remake that has been WIP, despite the similarities.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
lvlshot ur images bro
no1 lieks theyre browser stretch to infinty
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

That is correct. Dark Storm is not the same as Dawn of Sol, and not to be confused with it. To make things more understandable, I'll list some of the differences:

-Dawn of Sol is part of the End War Universe; Dark Storm is its own

-Dawn of Sol is being developed by Droid, Shadow and everyone else in the End War team. Meanwhile, Shadow and I are the ones behind Dark Storm. On that note, Shadow is also Dark Storm's founder  :D

-Where as Dawn of Sol has two major powers, with one being made by mulitple smaller factions, Dark Storm has three major factions. Also, Dark Storm factions are very different (Eg. politically, architecture-style, etc....)

Edit: Images lvlshoted now. Apologies for that one -- Should be all fixed up now.  

If anyone has any questions, including you Battuta (I know you're a bit confused about it), either I or Shadow can answer them.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:38:35 pm by starwolf1991 »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm not confused about it, I'm something more like 'bemused'. But it looks like it could be a good time, so rock on.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Titan? Calypso? In SOL?! :wtf:
Sorry, this is obverse then that what I've expected from post-GW Sol. All of your new ships looks like post-capella... And it don't have so much Freespace feeling. Storyline is similar to Sol:A History, DoS, Inferno: Alliance - another war of a few independent fractions in Sol, after the end of GTA. This is nothing new... I like new ships and I respect that you're working hard on this mod, but it's definitly not in my style.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

So what? It's his story, he can use whatever he wants.

Sorry, this is obverse then that what I've expected from post-GW Sol. All of your new ships looks like post-capella... And it don't have so much Freespace feeling.

Uhhh, what? Look, I know you're the "FreeSpace feeling" guy, but seriously? It's his mod, he can use whatever he wants. Just as you are free to use the models you want in your mod.

Storyline is similar to Sol:A History, DoS, Inferno: Alliance - another war of a few independent fractions in Sol, after the end of GTA. This is nothing new... I like new ships and I respect that you're working hard on this mod, but it's definitly not in my style.

Then don't comment. It's simple.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Storyline is similar to Sol:A History, DoS, Inferno: Alliance - another war of a few independent fractions in Sol, after the end of GTA. This is nothing new...

May I know exactly how it is similar to Sol: A History, DoS and Inferno: Alliance?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It is pretty similar to those mods, yeah, and to TVWP (which was written by the Sol A History guy), but it's not a bad story concept and I know ShadowGorrath likes S:AH a lot. So let's see what they come up with, it could be fun. Just don't make the mistakes Dawn of Sol did.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
There are many mods about what happened in Sol after the "Lucifer incident". Many of them have similar backgrounds, ie the GTA dissolves into many factions that fight for the control of Sol. Hence what will be interesting about this new mod will not be the base story, but the details of the background story and the way it is set up, including fredding, balance and visuals. The fact the topic has been dealt with by other mods doesn't alter the interest I have for it in any way.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

So what? It's his story, he can use whatever he wants.

Sorry, this is obverse then that what I've expected from post-GW Sol. All of your new ships looks like post-capella... And it don't have so much Freespace feeling.

Uhhh, what? Look, I know you're the "FreeSpace feeling" guy, but seriously? It's his mod, he can use whatever he wants. Just as you are free to use the models you want in your mod.

Storyline is similar to Sol:A History, DoS, Inferno: Alliance - another war of a few independent fractions in Sol, after the end of GTA. This is nothing new... I like new ships and I respect that you're working hard on this mod, but it's definitly not in my style.

Then don't comment. It's simple.
Threads like that aren't only for praises, also for constructive criticism so please - don't say "Don't like - don't comment". They can use whatever they want. I know. But I can also don't like it. In my opinion, Sol next-gen should be based on Fenris and Orion-like ships, but that's only my personal opinion. They can agree or not. This is freedom of speech.

Storyline is similar to Sol:A History, DoS, Inferno: Alliance - another war of a few independent fractions in Sol, after the end of GTA. This is nothing new...

May I know exactly how it is similar to Sol: A History, DoS and Inferno: Alliance?
War of a few fractions in post-GW Sol, after the end of GTA. It sound similar to mods above mentioned. I don't cross out your mod at once, but in my opinion, good storyline is the most important part of the mod. Every mod must have something special. Demonstrate us that your mod is orginal.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There's constructive criticism, and "it's not my style". There's a difference; If you object to something purely on "I would have done it differently", it's not constructive criticism.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Is that an Anateus reskin I spy?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
There's constructive criticism, and "it's not my style". There's a difference; If you object to something purely on "I would have done it differently", it's not constructive criticism.
You said something that I've been trying to tell him every time he talks like that about a mod that wants to distance itself from classic FS (especially about AoA...).  :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
TVWP (which was written by the Sol A History guy)
wat

Titan? Calypso? In SOL?!
Sorry, this is obverse then that what I've expected from post-GW Sol. All of your new ships looks like post-capella...

Sol has had a bit of a technological leap for the time, I will admit. That's not to say each side is crazy on production though. Some older designs still cling on though. Fenris' and Leviathans for example are no longer manfuctured but are still in use by one of the factions in an upgraded state.

Considering the GTVA's technological leap though, I don't see any problem with this one's

It's his mod, he can use whatever he wants

Mine and Shadow's, and he came up with it in the first place  :p

Is that an Anateus reskin I spy?
Uh, nope, can't see one. Where did you see it?

The next media update on this thread will provide the background for the 'Solar Federated Worlds', second of the three factions. With luck, you might just get to see the third faction in action too. Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 07:41:58 pm by starwolf1991 »

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
TVWP (which was written by the Sol A History guy)
wat
Blaise Russel did come up with some aspects of the TVWP (i dont know the whole details as i joined the group post his major involvement), but the project has been added to by many other people as well.

*looks at black and blue Garm on first post*

I was going to have blackish-hulled ships with blue banding in my SOL:AH remake (when i got around to making it). Damn you for beating me to it! :lol:

But yeah, the project sounds interesting, and i look forward to seeing your take on the "Collapse of Sol" concept. Best of luck! :yes:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 07:30:06 pm by T-Man »
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Am I the only one who sees two of the same bagde on T-Man's profile?

EDIT for the right member. XP
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:07:40 pm by Scotty »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I see two TVWP badges on T-Man if that's what you're trying to say.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

There was, but not now  :p