Author Topic: Mc80A - Winged Mon Calamari cruiser - WIP  (Read 31618 times)

Offline Snaga

Mc80A - Winged Mon Calamari cruiser - WIP
What do you guys think about it? Just retouched it.

EDIT: Changed picture to show latest development - Dec.23.2007. Also don´t pay much attention to the other ships, they are older models I did last year.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 11:56:12 am by Snaga »

Offline Snaga

Re: Mc80A - Winged Mon Cal - WIP
2 more pics

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
watch out, chief has about 25mb of mon cal cruiser references to drop on you!

10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Yes, we are striving for accuracy. If you are willing to improve the Mon Cals, Chief can help you out there.

Edit:  Also, Truespace isn't necessary for modeling, and neither is purchasing the full version.  3.2 is available freely and still capable of making models.  There's also Blender, 3ds Max, Wings3d, Sketchup, Solid Modeling applications, etc...

but you most buy everything for modelling full version

Offline maje

Looks off to a good start, but it's too symmetrical the way the blister-pods are distributed.  Mon Cal ships have a vary assymetric design in that respect.

Also, Are modeling the MC80 Liberty? Because that MC80a is a variant that popped up after Endor or so and looks very similar to the Calamari Cruiser design that Totally Games used for TIE Fighter and X-wing Vs. TIE Fighter.  And yes, I do know that loads of sources tend to contradict each other on this front, but in terms of Return of the Jedi, there are three Calamari Cruiser types, the MC80 Liberty-class, the MC85 Home One, and the MC80 Reef Home-class (which is basically the Liberty without the wings, and an extra engine down the middle replacing a blister).
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline Snaga

Indeed I was trying to do the Liberty at first. But to be honest, as I posted before, I was thinking if someone was willing to improve on it, cause I dont have the time nor the skill to make many more details. I worked on TS3.2 and a very slow machine that crashes when I render anything with more than 20K polygons.

Offline Snaga

Ok, after taking a good look on chief´s material, I realized what you meant. Also I realized that I had to restart all over again, so this is what I have so far. It´s still missing a lot of detail, specially those annoying bulb-things, (there must be millions of them!):wtf:. Anyway, this is just the beginning, and remember I´m a beginner too, so I´m open for any comments.

Offline Turambar

whoa! where did that come from!

that's awesome
i mean, the smoothing is awful, but the detail is all there.

how many polies is that? never mind that question

that's a very good amount there.

10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline Snaga

Offline Snaga

I didn´t work on the smoothing yet, as to keep a low count on polys, I think it´d go sky high on the poly count.

Also, TS32 doesn´t have a good smoothing tool-
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 01:05:07 pm by Snaga »

Offline Turambar

thats why it should be smoothed in max, which makes it look more smooth, but doesnt jack the polycount

also, hop on the IRC channel.  i'm making some ravioli, but i'll be up in a bit.

Offline Snaga

How do I get on the IRC?

Offline Turambar

http://ccgi.leafdigital.plus.com/download.php?leafChat18.exe
get that program,

then when you run it hit (log on), then type in irc.esper.net as the server, then hit (join #), click [specific channel] and put "#scp-swc" in the channel name field, without the quotes

Offline Snaga

Are these the Hangar bays?

Offline maje

Looking much better.  As far smoothing goes, I know in Maya you select smoothing angles for edges by "hard edges" and "soft edges" and for Max you control it through assigning faces to smoothing groups.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Are these the Hangar bays?

I think they could very well be.  I don't know of the canon references to them, but that sure looks like a good use for them.

I also forgot to say, most impressive.  Keep it up and we might have to bring you on as an organic modeler.  :)

And one more thing, as far as IRC clients go, my favorite is X-Chat, it's open source and runs great for me.  I'd get a SilvereX build for Windows, from silverex.info, but I'd stick with 2.6.x until the bugs are worked out of 2.8.x.  I've been using X-Chat ever since I switched from mIRC, and it's been great.  Whatever you use, we're on Espernet, you'll probably have to add it to the server list, the list of servers is on esper.net I believe, and we hang out in room #scp-swc.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 02:19:16 am by chief1983 »
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Snaga

Done some more work on the engines, and fixed some minor scaling differences. Although I´m having a hard time with the detail in the panel above the engines.

Offline Snaga

New update on progress. Added some detail I was missing, but the polies almost doubled up to 28k.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That's actually not too bad for a ship with so many curves.  I thought it'd be a lot worse from looking at it.  It looks amazing, keep it up.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Snaga, where'd you go?