Author Topic: Mc80A - Winged Mon Calamari cruiser - WIP  (Read 31617 times)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Re: Mc80A - Winged Mon Calamari cruiser - WIP
Booleans in general are very problematic - all the moreso in TS because of how unstable it is already and how hard it is to clean up afterwards. As such I think I'd recommend just leaving them un-joined.

Thinking about it more though, I would also say UV map it if you can, because then you'd be able to create some VERY impressive normal maps as well as being able to bake ambient occlusion onto the base hull map, which should create the blend without a lot of work.

That and custom textures always look much nicer than texture tiling. ;)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Snaga

Ok, thanks to Vasudan Admiral´s help, the Liberty is now ready for textures, and just missing the turrets. He made the modifications needed also to lower the poly count to 30+K. So here´s a look.

EDIT: Added 2 more pics. These where taken from PCS 2.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 11:50:56 am by Snaga »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Not bad. I like this version the best so far, and I am curious to see a textured version of it.

Could we get a shot about its down and back parts, too?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

very purty. very.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
i still don't like the idea of using AO to hide bad seams.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
It's a million times easier than carefully fine tuning each and every seam to blend into each other nicely though. The AO map I baked there is simply a layer of shading that should help a texture out a lot. I've done the same thing for the new Aten, and it seems to work very well for most things if applied as a multiplicative layer over all the others in the texture.
Certainly there are places where you'll need to change its strength, but I've found it to be very helpful.

I've seen a lot of good models in mods for other games kinda spoiled by bad texture/lighting handling of geometry intersections in exactly this sort of situation.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Off topic:
Hey, how do you do that thing where the thumbnail just springs up right on the page instead of opening in a new window?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The photo is just an attachment, instead of a link embedded in the post to a new website.  The downside is that attachments get purged more often than images on imgshack, etc.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Interesting... Thanks much.

Btw, great work on the Mon Cal.

Just curious, in-game how many of these behemoths are there going to be? More than two and my GPU will probably pop out one frame per 30 seconds...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Save for something on the scale of a battle of endor, I doubt there'd ever be need to render more than 2 or 3.  And they'll be aggressively LOD'd, don't worry.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Shiny, though I think my laptop (due mid-April) is gonna have at least an 8400M to eclipse my 6200OC. Nice that they'll be LOD'd; I don't know people's specs, but a lot of us here at HLP don't have high-end rigs, IIRC.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Honestly, I can't say we'll be catering to a very low end system.  It'll have the same ability to run on low end stuff as BtRL probably, the ships will be LOD'd, and you'll be able to adjust the detail to help, but we're trying to make a new Star Wars game.  There's a handful of great Star Wars games that already run on older stuff, that never seem to get old to play, and still have an online following to some extent.  By the time it matters, I'm sure most of the community will have a computer capable of running it.  I myself am about to break down and build a new rig.  My guess is that if your computer was designed for gaming and built within the last 3 years, you should be safe, and maybe even as far back as 5 years from whenever we release.  Non-gaming rigs and laptops are always more questionable, even brand new ones sometimes have integrated video issues and such, so there's not much we can do there.

My guess is that if your computer was designed for gaming and built within the last 3 years, you should be safe, and maybe even as far back as 5 years from whenever we release.  Non-gaming rigs and laptops are always more questionable, even brand new ones sometimes have integrated video issues and such, so there's not much we can do there.

Yeah, I was given my computer, a Compaq Presario, four years ago. It was advertised as an "Internet PC." Needless to say, I really can't wait until I get my laptop... Plus, when I return to Denver for holidays I'll be able to still game up there.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Wait a second...what about the weapons?!?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
To be added, if you're referring to where are the weapons on the cruiser mesh.  It's just the base so far.  But it's a very stable base to start from.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I don't think the films can give us reliable info about the armament...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
No, so we're roughly basing it on the info in the Wookieepedia, which says it has something like 60 turbolasers and 20 ions, so we'll do 40 dual turrets, 30 dual turbo and 10 dual ion.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Those numbers weren't designed for gameplay.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
What about the firing point? Are they going to be randomized like in Colony Wars?
The Lightblue Ribbon