Author Topic: Some trouble with my ship - game bug, using my keyboard as a joystick!  (Read 4003 times)

Offline TP

Some trouble with my ship - game bug, using my keyboard as a joystick!
Hi there,

I've compiled the new v3.6.9 an everything works. The game starts as it should an everything is fine until the first mission begins.
There, my ship turns into the lower left corner without touching mouse oder keyboard. Switching mouse support on /off has no effect. If mouse-support is on, i can move my ship but its still whirling around its own axis like a crazy bee.  I changed every configuration i knew, but still no effect.
I'm using Xubuntu with Kernel 2.6.17-11-generic on an Athlon 64 X2. Mouse is a Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical, Keyboard some old multimedia-Keyboard from Microsoft.
I hope, you can help me and thanks for ignoring my bad english  :D
If you have any further question... ask me. :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 01:34:50 pm by TP »

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Re: Some trouble with my ship - perhaps a mouse problem
(not really helpful, but...) Bad english? Ha! If I didnt see you say "oder" instead of "or" I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. :p
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline TP

Re: Some trouble with my ship - perhaps a mouse problem
omg .. what a silly mistake...  :nervous:
But here's some update: When I assing no ( x/y ) axis to [turn (yaw) axis] or [pitch axis] then the ship stands still. Quite not a success, because then I can't move the ship... If I re-assing the axis then the ship continues its strange dance...  :mad:

Offline TP

I located the source of my problems: It's my digital media pro Keyboard from Microsoft. I started the game in debug mode and what do i have to read in fs2_open.log?  My keyboard is a joystick? an one with 37 axis? don't thinks so...  :lol:

"Joystick INITTED!

Using 'Microsoft Microsoft® Digital Media Pro Keyboard' as the primary joystick:
  Number of axes: 37
  Number of buttons: 7
  Number of hats: 0
  Number of trackballs: 0"

So my problem is solved by using an old keyboard, built in 1988 by Olivetti...   :D

Not the best solution but it is one. Maybe this little bug will be fixed some day :)

Offline ni1s

Re: Some trouble with my ship - game bug, using my keyboard as a joystick!
try:
$ export SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=/dev/input/js0 && ./fs2_open_r

Don't forget to change /dev/input/js0 to whatever you use.

Offline Jorenko

Re: Some trouble with my ship - game bug, using my keyboard as a joystick!
Damn, it took me forever to find this thread but I've been having the exact same problem all night! I too have an MS Digital MediaPro. Since I don't have a joystick and just want to use my mouse, I modified ni1s's advice and added `export SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=/dev/null` to my script that runs the game. This worked for me.

Thanks all.