Author Topic: Official Robotech Mod Thread  (Read 139755 times)

Originally posted by Nico
well, it does destroy a few capships in one shot from times to times ( first time the SDF1 tranforms, for exemple ). But that's one occurence of the "sometuime I'm big, sometime I'm small" scale variation syndrom that you find in, well, about any show ( what scifi show doesn't have a size argument, I ask you? between Babylon 5 where the ships can be twice bigger than in the begining of the episode, or the famous SSD size argument? Sounds like kids comparing their "stuff" behind the school :p ).

Something like Mazinger Z looking taller than a 50 floor skyscraper, while the nominal height of the robot is 18m? :)

The Yamato/Argo... Someone posted that a long time ago. In fact they were working on a Comet Empire mod and also had the Andromeda (one of my fav ships of all time!) in game as well. I tried to get a hold of that person over 8 months ago but no luck. I guess he doesn't check in here anymore or something may have happened. I think I still have a Star Trek version of the Yamato but it is a very inferior version and looks more like a metal miniature copied into a 3d program. I have been looking for the FS2  Version for 2 years now with no luck.

BTW if you didn't know Venom released the Arcadia (search) like last month (nice ship! I love Harlock movies)...

I would love to fly a black tiger against the whole darn Gamilon fleet while the argo or Andromeda laid some smack down fro cover.. WOHOO! "Our Star Blazers!" (sorry got carried away).

Hey Steak! Glad you liked the pics! As you can see some are screenshots, others are just things I like.
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Official Robotech Mod Thread
Damn, i tought you had that model, i really wanted to do a Yamato vs Arcadia in FS2.... :(

If you are willing to work on the model I think I still have, you can get better textures and add more detail to it. The one I am talking about is a SFC .mod model It is not very good looking BUT it's better than nothing! It looks like a 3d representation of a miniature so doesn't look very appealng. If I can find it I will post a pic of it.
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

[email protected]

Originally posted by Star Dragon
If you are willing to work on the model I think I still have, you can get better textures and add more detail to it. The one I am talking about is a SFC .mod model It is not very good looking BUT it's better than nothing! It looks like a 3d representation of a miniature so doesn't look very appealng. If I can find it I will post a pic of it.

You talking about a Yamato model?

I haven't responded to you Ryuune for so long casue shortly after that post I had a HD crash and lost that file. I have been trying to find it ever since! I had no idea where I got it from cause it was in a chat room conversation with a SFC modler... He direct sended it to me... :(

Anyway a robotech II update. I found a few other REF models and here is what they look like in game. The Invid needs to be broken down once a little over the poly limit as a single object so it crashes in Fred. ENJOY!  Also the garfish (the ones with the belly guns) crash the game when they explode though they are only 650 polygons.. WHY d some ships work no prob without lods and others don't? Even if they have more pollys then the one causing the problem?

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/getter_robo_g_2004/detail?.dir=/a628&.dnm=a97c.jpg

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/getter_robo_g_2004/detail?.dir=/a628&.dnm=673e.jpg

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/getter_robo_g_2004/detail?.dir=/a628&.dnm=48c5.jpg

l8tr!

[email protected]

Hey, those ships pretty cool. How are you planning to simulate the Clamshell opening up to launch its fighters? Or is that being ignored?

I think a lot of the Invid fighters are also supposed to be pretty slow in space, they win by their superior numbers. Their main space fighter is probably the Boosted Armoured Scout.

For now the opening is being ignored. I an pondering if I should make 4 fighterbays out of the vents on the center ring (they do look like viable standard launchbays possibly...

That unit is the standard trooper. The others I need to find are the red scouts, the BIG blue Shock troopers with the shoulder cannons and of course the advance invid type 5 mecha (Sera, Corg, ect...) piloted by the human looking invids, but those will vary a little by the pilot (some individuality). If I was doing a ground mod I would also be looking for inorganics and the red Enforcer types (just a little taller than a cyclone but smaller than the red scouts.  Who knows if they get this gravity thing worked out?

anyway progress has halted again after this minor advance... L8tr!

[EDIT]  BTW if you rewatch the 1st episode of Next Generation you see that YES the Invid win by superior numbers (swarming each unit) BUT also that they are VERY quick and manuever much easier than the REF Mecha..  The REF is dropping their forces and the Invid are slaughtering them cause the battle plan sucks! The ref needed to pull back and abort.

Their whole plan hinged on gaining a surprise landing and it was foiled by the sensor nebula. I would have pulled back all fighters to protect the cap ships, destroyed all the clam transports at range FIRST then let all forces mop up the remaining space Invid and let Reflex point be damned! Nothing is more important than gaining and HOLDING a beach head when you do NOT have the element of surprise anymore.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 04:40:50 pm by 622 »

[email protected]

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
invids :yes:
Btw, I don't actually now what that is, but that's not the standard invid mecha. body is much bigger than that, iirc.
That one looks like the shock trooper w/o the shoulder guns.
SCREW CANON!

Really? Okay, I'm just going off of some internet sources as to Invid mobility. I haven't seen the majority of the New Generation, just the few episodes centering around the Yellow Dancer Concert / Protoculture hiest.

As for the picture, it's of an Invid Trooper. Invid "Shock Trooper" is the same model except it has guns and a slightly different body I think. The Iigaa Scout Mecha comes in a gunless version also, then "Armoured Scout" has guns and each can be equipped with a booster to make them faster. Beyond that, there's the Gamo Pincer and Gosu Royal units for fully matured and humanoid invid respectively.

Man, I miss Robotech, last time I got to watch it was back when my TRS-80 was still new o_O

My 3rd ever 3D model (done in Rhino3D Beta 1) was Robotech based. If I could find a group with a GM, I'd love to do the Robotech RPG (put out by Paladium) again, that was fun times.

Cyclone LT for your viewing enjoyment

I was the only guy in my city to play that game :D

I remember the Trs-80 model II and the III's had just come out (remember the casette tape drives?) That right kids we didn't just have 5.25" floppy disks, we had normal audio cassette tape we stored programs on...

well if I ever get a modeler willing to help out I need a mecha altered to look like Getter Robo G (star dragon) like this!
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/getter_robo_g_2004/detail?.dir=/a628&.dnm=10e0.jpg

That is the mecha in my fanfic...

[email protected]

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
"WHY d some ships work no prob without lods and others don't? Even if they have more pollys then the one causing the problem? "

if you'r useing non-htl, you hay be useing too many verts, there actualy is no poly limit but there is a limit of I think about 850 verts (retail numbers).
BUT MORE LIKELY you have a higherarcy problem of some sort, live debris can be espealy tricky, and cause a problem of the nature described.

are you useing any version of FSO for this, we (I) do have every intention of reimplementing cell shadeing for HT&L when we get vertex shaders working, and non-HTL cell shadeing has been available for quite some time.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Star Dragon: oh man, you had the floppy drive for yours? lucky tard! I only have the cartridges and casstte drive :P

Hrm, I'd be willing to model it on 2 conditions :)
first, I need a higher res view, like a scan instead of a photo ;)
second, I want to use it in a game my team is working on :)

Star Dragon I want to help out with this mod, I'm good with TBL files, weapons are the ones I know the best, I dare not toch ship TBLS. I made some weapons way back when that are off of the Robotech website, and I think this mod should go that way about naming, and makeing em. I could finish the ones I got and test em but I would need some ships to do it with.
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, harkens night and silence is the light." Ajunta Pull, KOTOR.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Originally posted by Nico
well, it does destroy a few capships in one shot from times to times ( first time the SDF1 tranforms, for exemple ). But that's one occurence of the "sometuime I'm big, sometime I'm small" scale variation syndrom that you find in, well, about any show ( what scifi show doesn't have a size argument, I ask you? between Babylon 5 where the ships can be twice bigger than in the begining of the episode, or the famous SSD size argument? Sounds like kids comparing their "stuff" behind the school :p ).

It happens everywhere.....

Why don't people use their head and set the sizes and stats onece and for all before the show begins and while they make it pay GOOD attention to detail and size?:hopping:
COAUSE THEY'RE STUPID!!!!!

It would be s much easier for everyone, but Noooooo...why act smart we we can act dumb...

And yes, SDF-1 should be FAR more bigger than 1,2 klicks.
 (since SDF-1 transforms, and the crew, equipment, supplies and generaly other studd need tons of space)
You can't just rip everything out and leave the hull and place the city inside (Well..you can, but nothing would work then).

Of the total internal volume of the SDF-1, the city took no more than 40%..It couldn't have taken more

But the problem is not the volume of the city, nor the people (you can easily palce 20000 people in SDF-1), but the fact that they REBUILT it inside...with roads and everything...
And that takes up more volume (and especially surface!) than the SDF-1 has if it's only 1.2km long.

In one shot of the internal city, one can see a stadium sorrounded by several rows of buildings. Since a avarage stadium is a t least 200m wide(and this was a big one), then it turns out that the city inside the ship is more than 2 km WIDE...which is more than the lenghth of SDF-1..

I say make it bigger... F*** cannon numbers, since they messed them up anyway...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

For the SDF-1, it would be cool if someone could somehow utilise the damaged, electric sparks which fly all over the hulls, and apply that as the warmup for the Reflex Cannon. Have the energy rippling along the main booms of the gun, and that VABOOM! Not sure that it's possible though.

Actually, the SDF-1's crew is 800, 1200 military, and 70,000 civilian from Macros Island ;)

The canon actually has specific stats in Palladium's RPG. Unfortunately the full stats of the SDF-1 is about 4 pages.  I also have the full stats on the SDF-3, coming in at about 10 pages (includes deck schematics, which in fact show NO room for any city, and the SDF-3 is not transformable and is 1.6km instead of 1.2km)

So yeah, they had a bit of scale issues in the series.  But they also heavily americanized the series, mixing 3 totally unrelated manga (Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada were written by the same person, hense the reuse of many mecha, but were unrelated beyond that) and calling it Robotech.

It's still a fun series and a better RPG though, so why ***** about rtivialities? Just have fun and make a kickass mod! :)

Akalabeth: set the ship's hull integrity temperarily to 1%, make it invulnerable, fire the canon, then return the ship's hull integrity to it's previous place and make it once again vulnerable :)
Just remember that the SDF-1 can only fire that canon in battle mode, not in ship mode. ;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 12:01:04 am by 1819 »

So yeah, they had a bit of scale issues in the series. But they also heavily americanized the series, mixing 3 totally unrelated manga (Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada were written by the same person, hense the reuse of many mecha, but were unrelated beyond that) and calling it Robotech.

I think Macross and Southern Cross are actually related in some way, or at least they were made in sequence by the same animation company. Genesis Climber Mospeada or what have you, is I believe totally unrelated.

Just remember that the SDF-1 can only fire that canon in battle mode, not in ship mode.

Unless of course it hasn't made an erroraneous hyperspace fold yet. When it was grounded, it fired from the island and toasted a pair of Cruisers. However after the fold, the power link had something to do with the now-missing Fold Engine so inorder to establish a new link, they had to perform the transformation.