Author Topic: Official Robotech Mod Thread  (Read 139721 times)

It would be a bad idea to do cell chading or recreate the "Cartoony" look.

Best case scenario is to go with regular FS2 textures to at least give a semi-realistic look. No that we need glows or shine maps, but rather stay away from the true "anime" feel and go more for a regular CGI feel.  I would get more enjoyment out of that.

I thought battlecry had great potential but 3 reasons caused me to hate it.

1.) The graphics were substandard to the capabilities of the PS2 (as they had full cgi mechas adn enviroments in Macross VFX I & II 5 years ago) but of course we are outside japan so we are discriminated against.

2.)  You could not be Zentreadi.

3.) craft selection was VERY limited. (and loadouts were non existent)

to sum up your typical western released game...

BTW there was a Gundam game for Sega Saturn (again only fro Japan) that BLOWS away any gundam game for PS2 right now!

I had it in my hand 12 years ago but that store is now out of business cause there was not enough marketing for JAPANESE only machines then...
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Official Robotech Mod Thread
Completly unrelated, but I eventually got and watched my Macross collector DVD set :)
In the end, I liked Robotech, but I definitively prefer Macross.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Originally posted by Star Dragon

1.) The graphics were substandard to the capabilities of the PS2 (as they had full cgi mechas adn enviroments in Macross VFX I & II 5 years ago) but of course we are outside japan so we are discriminated against.

Ummm, I have a copy of Macross VFX-II right here and I've played through it. The graphics absolutely blow. I don't see how battlecry isn't CGI and VFX-II somehow is.

Also you can't be zentraedi in VFX-II and you can't choose your loadouts too (e.g. the VF-19 Excalibur never has a laser cannon thing while the VF-22 Strumvogel does.)

OT: Am I the only one around who absolutely hated Macross: Do You Remember Love? I felt it was a nasty bastardization of the series.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 06:51:51 pm by 179 »
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

OT: Am I the only one around who absolutely hated Macross: Do You Remember Love? I felt it was a nasty bastardization of the series.

I've only seen "Macross: Clash of the Bionoids" which is the same thing, except with one half our removed (1.5 instead of 2 hours) and has absolutely HORRID dubbing. So, I can't really say whether it's bad or not.

Macross II: Lovers Again is definately a big pile of stinky crap, in english at least.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
According to theanimereview.com there's only one known dub which is the one used in Clash of the Bionoids. Sadly the dub they used was a horrible Australian dub made for teaching English. I have a subtitled DVD I got off of ebay.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Kamikaze

I liked DYRL. Unlike most movies from anime series, it's not made from footage of the series, it has it's own art, and it looks great, as well.
For the rest, it's the usual: you can't expect the movie to be as developped as the series ( especially when it's a 36 episodes series ).
I prefer that kind of movie to the usual useless series summary type.
SCREW CANON!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hmm... I really don't get this FRED.

I'm tempted to make the SDF-1 all over again.

I'm allos tempted to make a Veritech fighter (I downloaded the VF-j and while it looks good, it has a lot of intersecting polys..and it could be better)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well this is interesting...

In Modelview some textures are missing.
In FRED the same textures are missing and several vertex seem to have gone sky high. It does save now.

FS2 chrashes if I want to look at it in the techroom and when I finish loading a mission with it.

Somewhat related question:

Has anyone seen that Macross 7 series? Is it any good (and/or complete?). I've seen some fan data on it, and it looks somewhat interesting except for the whole rock-band crap.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Seen a couple episodes, didn't like one bit.
SCREW CANON!

Loved it. Some really great mecha designs from that (VF-17, VF-11 Full Armor, the Varauta mecha), and I got addicted to the songs too. ORE WA NO UTA NO KITTE!!!

*jumps off*

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I was bored.

So I made 3 detailed Veritech fighters (VF-A, VF-J & VF-S).
Each around 1100 polys:D

I'd post pics, but I'm still on hostile terms with my webspace.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by RangerKarl
Loved it. Some really great mecha designs from that (VF-17, VF-11 Full Armor, the Varauta mecha), and I got addicted to the songs too. ORE WA NO UTA NO KITTE!!!

*jumps off*

They also cut the canards on the 19 and made a pink one with boobs :doubt:
That and that stupid music band thing. Where did the usual realistic military setting of Macross go? And those crappy villains...
SCREW CANON!

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
Originally posted by TrashMan
I was bored.

So I made 3 detailed Veritech fighters (VF-A, VF-J & VF-S).
Each around 1100 polys:D

I'd post pics, but I'm still on hostile terms with my webspace.

E-mail me? I have some extra webspace. E-mail address is my nick (lowercase) at nodewar.com.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It works!:

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I've got good news and bad news...

Bad news first:
Look like there's something terribly wrong with the SDF-1. Alltough I can't find anything wrong in TS or in Modelview, FS2 just chrashes when I load any mission with it in it.

It looks like I'll have to make it from scratch.

Good new:
Last exam in thi period is done. Now I have finally more free tiem.

Oh..and I allready started on the new SDF-1 and there are some thing I can salvage.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
ERm... Maby there's nothing really wrong with the ship (but rather with my FS2 installation).

I've downloaded the new High-poly Deimos and it acts just like SDF-1: In FRED it shows up but with several vertex going off screen, and FS2 chrashes when I try to view it in the techroom (or start a mission).

Thus, I'll send you the current SDF-1 test model for you to try out.
ERm...forgot your e-mail...

P.S. - The new SDF is 30% complete

P.S.S. - could you send me a Zentradi battlepod and maby one of their capships?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
StarDragon? You alive?

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
yes alive and well (sort of)..

As SOME of you might know Getter Robo G is the original Japansese name for Star Dragon so get used to seeing this as my name (as I cannot access my original account here)...

anyway here is a minor announcement RT2 and FS Trek are going to FS open versions... Reason, I got SCP to run on my system and also cause if you want you can make it run like vanilla FS2 for you low end users.. Plus if you have a higer system you can add in the better tweaks as wanted later...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Goddy, goddy...B.t.w. - hope yu know that my SDF-1 works!
I jsut have to add more turrets to it...

Looky at the thread for it!
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,25730.0.html