Author Topic: RELEASE - MediaVP 3.6.8 Zeta  (Read 191278 times)

Offline Descenter

• Gamers Rule, but so do Thoes Who Make Them
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: DUDE - MediaVP 3.6.8 Zeta
I fixed it so nevermind to all reading.  However, let it be note that you should have launcher 5.4 before playing.  At least I think that was what my problem was.
"War is like playing a game of chess.  You move units on a field, and stratiegically try to weaken the opposing force, a sort of... elequent ballet.  Sure you might lose a few units,.... but, at times, it all part of the plan..."

"Most of the human race really don't give a damn.  Well I do, and I try to do something about it by giving a damn."

Offline Axem

By some weird act of cloaking, the GTSC Faustus is nearly invisible in FRED and in FS2. I say nearly because LOD2 and 3 are visible. It isn't a code thing since it was invisible in exes dating back to May, and I have seen Faustuses since then. Looking in the media VP's, the science01-01a texture in mv_models.vp is a 512x1553 pcx (non-standard power of two height), but its shine and glow are standard sizes. And when I look at the science01-01a texture in mv_textures.vp, the texture is a 1024x2048 dds.

So I was able to fix this by taking the texture in mv_textures.vp and putting it in /data/maps. Anyone else had this problem?

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
[Off Topic Comment]

At the time of this post, Axem has exactly 666 posts.  Anyone have a cross and some holy water?

[End Off Topic Comment]
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Well... the Aten is looking better than retail now, but not as good as it should be like you said. But yeah, I just wanted to see if everyone else was having the same problem so that way this could be fixed in future VPs. As for the Faustus, I have haven't had those problems. At least you found your own solution though.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Ok....so I'm either doing this wrong or something else is going on, but.....

Do you have any texture files ending with "bump"?
-C

I was having the same problem as descenter, but i fixed it by switching to OpenGL.
I was under the impression, from an outdated readme, that Direct3D was the way to go...but no more I suppose. 

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Looks like there's a UV mapping error on the HTL Faustus.
Here's a comparrison between the HTL and regular versions:
http://inferno.hard-light.net/faustuserror.jpg

And it's not only this but a few others as well.

Using the zpack, with adveffects.vp, cleared cache and spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -missile_lighting -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -alpha_env -fps -stats -show_mem_usage turned on

Confermed. I get it as well, with the Fenris+Levi, the Medusa, the Nephytis, the Bes, and any ship with a black canopy automatically gets a WHITE canopy.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that disabling Env maps fixes the problem.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie

And it's not only this but a few others as well.

Using the zpack, with adveffects.vp, cleared cache and spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -missile_lighting -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -alpha_env -fps -stats -show_mem_usage turned on

Confermed. I get it as well, with the Fenris+Levi, the Medusa, the Nephytis, the Bes, and any ship with a black canopy automatically gets a WHITE canopy.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that disabling Env maps fixes the problem.

Than I think it's pretty probable that the alpha channel of the shine map is not properly set up on those ships.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Actually, it should work fine on those ones. Just make sure you're running in OpenGL rather than D3D, since I remember seeing and thinking exactly the same thing before realising it had somehow switched back to D3D (probably because I'd just switched builds).
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I just noticed a bug with the ingame Trebuchet model. It doesn't have any thruster glow in the game. I think this is because the thruster radius in the pof is far too small.

There is also a slight problem with several of the tga laser glow images (the halo effects, not the blobs themselves). The glow is too small relative to the entire image, so you don't see much of a glow in the game. The pcx versions of most of the files are fine though.

Also, I think I've said it before, but some of the "new" weapon effects could definitely use an overhaul. The Maxim and Circe still look really bad compared to what they were like in the original game, and they have been like that for a long time now. For now I am just removing those entries from the tbm files.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 11:33:09 am by CP5670 »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I think i reported the Trebuchet problem long time ago... I thought it was already fixed :nervous:

Also the flak effect that i made is sometimes problematic - as it may draw none, one or two particles depending fps and some other things just like all the normal spewed particles... but i think i now have a solution to that problem.  I just got to test it first..
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
The missions supplied with the MediaVps still use the memory guzzling duplicate model texture replacement method, as the "normal" type was not functioning when I made the nameplates.  Since the "normal" method is now fixed, I've edited the missions to use it instead of duplicate model.  These missions should replace those in the MediaVPs:

Clicky

Incidentially, was the flak projectile missed out of the alpha patch?

« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 05:15:46 pm by Admiral Nelson »
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I haven't noticed (in that same mission) any problems with the flak. Erm, then again, I did sort of re-edit my VP's by merging the RC patches directly into them and noticed quite a few duplicate files across a few packs that I didn't think should be duplicated so I reduced them to a single source......fortunately, I made notes as to what I did, but now I have to find them.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

I agree with many of the 'new' gun effects: many are good, some are appalling.  We need to encourage artistic people to make better versions of the lesser-used weapon fx.

What's the status on the next set of vps?  Just things like the alpha fixes and the animation speeds seem worth a release by themselves, and we've got the GTT and stuff as well.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I say just revert to the old ones for now. The original Maxim and Circe still look great and are quite in line with the good new weapons like the Prometheus R and S. The new versions of those are, to be honest, simply horrible. I'm thinking it may be a bug somewhere, but they look like those sad little dots you used to shoot in retail FS2 when you cheated and tried to fire beams.

I think many of the weapons are looking a bit worse than they should though due to that laser glow bug I mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 12:07:16 am by CP5670 »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
What's the status on the next set of vps?  Just things like the alpha fixes and the animation speeds seem worth a release by themselves, and we've got the GTT and stuff as well.
Not sure, DaBrain's been indisposed as of late, so we've all got to wait on RL to get out of the way.

I'll probably release an updated patch set tomorrow though.  I'll include the alpha fixes (with the fixed yellow glow that I missed the first time), some fixed animations (the speed changes), plus the hi-poly missiles I've had laying around (the fixed Treb engine glow, plus all centered for viewing the lab and whatnot), and the fixed Satis model (the debris issue).  Hopefully that will hold everyone over until the real deal can be released.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Sweet! I know I'll have a lot of fun with those, whenever they come out.

Brief question (no, not about briefs, Hanes or otherwise)
I see alot of this:
Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( when
   ( is-destroyed-delay
      "TTC 6"
      "TTC 5"
      "TTC 4"
      "TTC 3"
      "TTC 2"
      "TTC 1"
   )
   ( do-nothing )
)

and was wondering if writting it like this:
Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( when
   ( is-destroyed-delay
      0 "TTC 6" "TTC 5" "TTC 4" "TTC 3" "TTC 2" "TTC 1" )
   ( do-nothing )
)

would either break the game, break fred, or both?.....since it semantically breaks down into being the same thing, is just as readable, IMO as well as cleaner for presentation and results in a slightly shorter file. (I'm a nut when it comes to optimizing maximum amount of propigation of a minimum amount of data. Some call it OCD.)
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It would work but quite frankly I'm of the opinion that it would be a dreadful idea.

The second one is in no way as easily legible as the first and furthermore it breaks the way that missions generally save themselves in a format close to the way the SEXPs are laid out in FRED.

The difference in processing time (I doubt there is one to be honest) and file size simply isn't enough to make it worth it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

stuff

Confirmed. I have that same problem with damage sparks. I'll get a screenshot when I can get to my FS2 capable compy.