Author Topic: Ancient Names Convention & Permission  (Read 5084 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Ancient Names Convention & Permission
1)Where exactly I can find Ancient names?They're Minoan,but all I remember is Thera,Minosse and Knossos(aready used).
I suggest everyone to use precolombian names,they are much easier to find(you can find also a name generator in Internet,I don't rememmber where,but exists).What do you all think about this?

2)I,with DarthDysko and Admiral Edivad(not logged at the moment),I'm creating an Inferno Campagn(I'm the newest member of the team,but the only available at the moment for this request).We have already talked about it in New missions and campaigns.We are all Italians.
We are asking for a permission,we think it's important even if many campaign creators didn't pay attention on this. Woomeister...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Re: Ancient Names Convention & Permission
Well no-one really needs to bother with permission for making R1 stuff, though it is nice to know that people are still developing things with it :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You had to have some big list of Minoan names somewhere to work off of Woo...at least, I hope you did. Care to share it?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Nope I used all the Minoan names I have on ship classes. We have to use alternatives for naming individual ships.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
But...the Steadfast project has a permission yes or not?
I didn't checked for the generator,I don't see the only person who knew the link from about three months.(You'll have that link!I promise!)

I have a list of interesting precolombian names and similar ones(accettable,however) at the moment:
Montezuma,Quetzal(coatl),Oxaca,Zapotec,Sotek,Tzunki,Tini-Huinzi,Tlazcotl,Tlaxtlan,Tenochtitlan,Quetzl,Titicaca,Cuzco,Yucatàn,Huanchi,Tzental, Maya(pan),Itzà,Macchu Picchu,Tezcatlipoca,Ax(o)lotl,Tlàloc,Tlazolteot,Ocelotl,Ehecatl,Ollin,Ixcel,Kinich Ahau,Ah Mun,Ah Puch,Gucumatz,Ixpiyacoc, Ixmucané,Oxlahuntiku,Tarahumara,Popocatepetl,Xapati.

A lot of names are available.Naming Ancient ships Androgeos 1,Gordia 4...no more!
If I now that many other members use precolombian names,maybe I can start too,so Ancient based campaigns are possible.
Precolombian cultures are known to be violent and aggressive,like the Ancients...
So what do you think about this?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Nope I used all the Minoan names I have on ship classes. We have to use alternatives for naming individual ships.

Eh...guess I'm going Greek then.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
But...the Steadfast project has a permission yes or not?
See my first post.

For names, you will have to look at the geography of Minion Crete:

* Palaces
          o Knossos (Already used)
          o Phaistos (Already used)
          o Malia (Already used)
          o Kato Zakros (Already used, actually divided in two)
          o Galatas
    * Agia Triada
    * Gournia
    * Pyrgos (Already used)
    * Vasiliki
    * Fournu Korfi
    * Pseira
    * Mount Juktas (Juktas only)
    * Arkalochori
    * Karfi

Just search through here and you may be able to find other names, some already used, such as Akrotiri/Thera/Etc., some not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_civilization

-----------------------------------------------

The problem is that Minoan names are unknown to the date, almost as if people's names don't exist, at least they seem to name places...

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Most of those I remember. A few of those are what we use as wing names, some are weapon names as well.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Well,the names to designate EA wings were interesting,naming Ancient wings with some references to the words old,ancient itself,precursor...
I cannot give for sure that all the Minoan names in existence will satisfy all mission designers using Inferno.
Greek names are similar to the Minoans,but they are used for normal GTVA Terran units(Zeus,Athena,Menelaos,Keres ecc.).

It's not a big problem at all.Every FREDder can choose his Ancient name convention...
At least we should try to use the same population names...of course the precolombian ones I wrote before aren't,ehm,so good...
Should we use them all?It's quite a solution...
The Lightblue Ribbon