Author Topic: FSPort 'cutscenes'  (Read 5527 times)

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
Hiya,

I don't know who's like 'in charge' of the port, and stuff, but I just got an idea. The 'cutscenes' in the port, refering of course to the still image of a planet w/ the 'ancients' text, y'know the briefing thing. I clearly remember I wrote a lengthy diatribe about sound files and such, to be ripped from the MVE files and all that. However, when I came to my senses I got a better idea. Before you start having thoughts about banning that Selectah Dude, hear me out.

What if the cutscenes would be rendered as ANI files? Accompanied by the appropriate sound file from the cutscene? I reckon this would be as close to the original cutscene thingy as one can get w/out forking with the FS2.EXE code. Y'know, a command briefing with an ANC1.ANI animation file plus an ANC1.WAV file? To save you guys all the trouble of making such an animation and sound file, I decided to make these myself. If anyone of the main guys behind the port would be interested in trying it out, the RAR file is here (14 MB, RAR). Contains an ANI file converted from the original MVE, plus a WAV file w/ the sound bite. I checked the MVE sound format, btw. Even though the MVE format allows 15 MHz stereo files, there's no sound info above 11.025 MHz present in the cutscenes, plus the cutscenes are mono, so I made a 11.025MHz mono file outta the audio. It could be worth a shot, what do I know? There's still some palette inconsistencies present in the ANI file, but that can be quickly sorted.

Whatever.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 03:47:43 am by 3106 »
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline CaptJosh

Firstly, it's unnecessary. They've already beenconverted to Xvid and DivX encoded AVI files, which the game supports if you have the correct codecs installed in Windows. Also, In the linux builds, there's an .mve codec that will let you use the original .mve files if you're running linux and using the linux build to play this game.

Secondly...

Nothing personal here. I just have to ask; are you NUTS?! *chuckle*
Do you have any idea how big just the anis of those movies would be? Just to give you an idea, when first converted from mve to uncompressed avi, the FS2 opening movie is 4GB. Now this is the most extreme example, and admittedly, avi is not the same as ani, but even fs1 cutscenes would still be quite large. Not to mention the fact that it would take a seperate sound file set to play there as well, and the sound probably would not sync up correctly in scenes like the command briefing cutscene, where you have a squadron leader briefing a group of Terran and Vasudan pilots.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
Hiya CaptJosh,

Firstly, no, I am not nuts, but thanks for asking. Secondly, I have to ask you; are YOU nuts?
the game supports if you have the correct codecs installed in Windows
Vanilla FS2 doesn't support s**t as far as codecs go. SCP does, but just because YOU have the SCP build installed, doesn't mean that the rest of the known universe has it, ok? I, for one, will not touch the SCP FS2 with a ten foot pole. Neither will I install any version of Linux, ever. But then again, that's just me. :)
Do you have any idea how big just the anis of those movies would be?
No, I haven't got the faintest, considering I just posted a link to an ANI file that I just made a couple of hours ago. ;) Of course the ANI and WAV files aren't in synch, but I don't think they need to be, either. The ANI files that I was refering to were the 'Ancients' briefings present in between the FSPort missions. The rest are just filler, as it were.

Thanks anyways for the heartfelt and deeply pondered reply. ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 08:19:34 am by 3106 »
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
This is coolness. I can't run the SCP on my old PCs, so yes, this would be a good alternative to the movies.

The fact that you managed to get it down to 14 megs is impressive though. I dont have ANI View on this PC, or freespace 2, so don't mind if i ask what are the resolutions for the ani? .Wavs are pretty big, but suitable if you aren't using SCP. However, I'd recommend putting them in a seperate download, as some people may want the anis, but not the wavs or vice versa. Either way, missions would have to be edited to include the new anis and .wav files into the briefings....

If you do intend to use SCP in the future, consider changing it into .ogg files as well, since they save up on space as compared to .wav.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline CaptJosh

I was unaware that we were talking about vanilla FS2. I guess I keep forgetting that there are still people who don't or can't use the SCP. My apologies. I thought about my response, but apparently I didn't think long enough.
CaptJosh

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by CaptJosh
I was unaware that we were talking about vanilla FS2. I guess I keep forgetting that there are still people who don't or can't use the SCP. My apologies. I thought about my response, but apparently I didn't think long enough.
You tend to do that a lot.  Just be more careful next time. :)

Thanks much, Selectah.  I'll have to talk it over with Galemp, but this could really come in handy. :nod:

Offline CaptJosh

Well, at least I'm being a good sport about when I'm wrong... *looks sheepish*
CaptJosh

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Interesting. The biggest issue here of course would be the filesize. There are 5 Ancients cutscenes and the ending movie, which would probably end up being around 70 mb for the ANIs and WAVs. I think we'd be better off making the original .MVE files available, if we can.

But don't despair. We'll be glad to use single-frame captures of the movies for the specific briefings, and the voice readings. It's a shame we can't isolate the dialog from the background music for them though.

As for the Command Brief cutscene, can you chop that audio and video up into 'stages' so we can have it as an actual Command Briefing?

Oh, and thanks for all this. It's great! :nod::yes:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I have an idea.  What we could do is make a "cutscenes" VP available.  Let me explain:

1) The current campaign, as it stands, is compatible with SCP and plays the cutscenes in exactly their proper places.

2) The proposed system would display the cutscenes as cbanis and text.  It would be extremely helpful for people running retail but would be redundant for people who can play the cutscenes.

3) The WAV and ANI files would add a substantial extra chunk of filesize to be downloaded.

4) Solution: Make it optional.  The version distributed with v3.0 will have the movies in their proper places in the campaign.  But there will be an additional VP available for download from the site.  This additional VP will contain modified missions with the additional command briefing stages added, plus the cbani and voice files required to display them. Putting this VP alongside the Port VP will give the modified "pseudo-cutscene" missions priority over the unmodified ones.

Offline CaptJosh

Originally posted by Galemp
(snip)
As for the Command Brief cutscene, can you chop that audio and video up into 'stages' so we can have it as an actual Command Briefing?(snip)

I do believe you're on to something there. Hrm...

Maybe do some graphics showing things like the shield tech and the various systems he talks about?
CaptJosh

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Galemp
As for the Command Brief cutscene, can you chop that audio and video up into 'stages' so we can have it as an actual Command Briefing?
That isn't really viable.  That cutscene takes place immediately before a real command briefing that describes the results of the attack.

Offline CaptJosh

So much for that idea. :sigh:
CaptJosh

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
That cutscene takes place immediately before a real command briefing that describes the results of the attack.
Yeah, plus the fact that FreeSpace loops any ANI files endlessly until it's time to change scene. The weirdo results of having the MVE chopped up in 'stages' is that after a while the officer walks about in front of the Sony Plasma Screen, waving his badly animated arms without VO.

I was going to suggest exactly what Goober5000 did. Have an optional VP containing the pseudo cutscenes. Just make sure the VP filename gives it priority over the main FSPort VP. Mind you, the 'Ancients' and the EndGame are the only ones that are required, or perhaps even doable. However over-dramatic and cringe-inducing those Ancients monologues are, they could add quite substantially to the game atmosphere. I just wonder who wrote those monologues, anyways. Some office temp at V, perhaps. It's quite hard to come by anything that incipid anywhere else.

The add-on VP won't be that big, anyways. Since some of you are keen on the OGG format, I did OGG files outta the audio, as well. In WAV format the Ancients Monologues when combined squeezed into a 700 KB RAR file. The OGG version was 2.2 MB. For guys/gals with broadband it won't make any difference whatsoever, either. The MVE scenes can't really be made available for Vanilla FS2, anyways. Maybe it's just me, but I reckon the honorable thing to do would be to make anything concerning the FSPort available to Vanilla players. That way it will work with any FS2 version. But, naturally, you're free to do just whatever you fancy.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 10:28:50 am by 3106 »
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Gunteen6

• Don't let life get you down! Get up! Go!
    • S31-IKS Parent Boards
...and neither will i be installing any version of linux, ever.

:wtf: really now, do you have an issue with linux?? cause if so, PLEASE P.M ME AND WE CAN DISCUSS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wtf:
Gunteen6 is now S31-Syntax! If I could change the name, I would!

Offline Gunteen6

• S31-IKS Parent Boards
 :mad: i really have no problem with windows itself. but its the company ran by an evil madman and people like yourself that really piss me off !!!  :mad:

DO NOT DISS LINUX OR "DIG UP DIRT" ON IT IN PUBLIC, MAN!!!!!!

Offline Nuclear1

Chill. He's not attacking Linux from what I read, but just saying he's not going to install Linux. Hey, I won't install Linux, but that's because I'm comfortable with Windows. But, that's another discussion for another time.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline CaptJosh

Well, once my roommate gets Qwest Business Services to pull its collective head out of it's ass and the routable IPs start working again, I'm going to reconvert the FS1 MVE cutscenes to Xvid AVIs and drop them on a server hes given me to play with. Then they'll be available to download, and not only that, they'll look really good and be much smaller in file size than the originals.
CaptJosh

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:mad: i really have no problem with windows itself. but its the company ran by an evil madman and people like yourself that really piss me off !!! :mad:

Ok, one: Bill Gates can probably sue you for that. :p

Two: Chill out. Linux isn't a religion. It's not God.

Three: I believe it was Windows that was first able to utilize the World Wide Web. Microsoft is a breakthrough company, man!
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline CaptJosh

Um, Unix was online before windows 1.0 was coded. How do you think they made the ARPAnet?
CaptJosh

Offline Gunteen6

• S31-IKS Parent Boards
ever heard of linux on a toaster? :lol: