Author Topic: RELEASE - Derelict SCP Edition  (Read 265090 times)

Offline ionia23

• "YES, I did finally see 'The Matrix' 12 years late
Re: RELEASE - Derelict SCP Edition
does anyone mind if i redo the voice acting with a deeper voice and better... VA'ing overall?

hate to break this to you, but your voice was one of the best in the whole campaign.  I don't think it could be improved on :)

"Why does it want me to say my name?"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Trust me, Cobra, you don't want to start down that road.  I think that anyone who's ever made something probably has moments where they think, "What if I had done that differently?  It would have been so much better." However, if you follow that credo, you'll never get anything finished to your satisfaction.  There are a few lines I wish I had done a little bit better, but what's done is done.  Most importantly, you don't hear anyone giving anything but praise for the voiceacting, do you? ;)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Great art is never finished. It is simply abandoned. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nuclear1

hate to break this to you, but your voice was one of the best in the whole campaign.  I don't think it could be improved on :)

Agreed. Don't worry about changing it. I especially liked the last mission dialogue between you and Ransom should the mission fail.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Freyr

• http://a2upgrades.net
Just finished  :)

I haven't had that much fun for ages, thanks to everyone that put time into the campaign, you did a great job!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
All of this reminds me...I haven't even made it to my own second stint of voiceacting yet. :p I know there was at least one debreifing in there that was a huge solid paragraph and took me 50 takes or so to get right; thank God that's all in the past.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Great art is never finished. It is simply abandoned. :D

No wonder SOR isn't released yet. :p

He means the exe. Swapping those should be pretty simple if you only use the 3.6.7 media VPs.

I am using the 3.6.8 media VPs too, since 3.6.7 will not work when I tried to load an earlier mission.

Offline 2FB

• http://www.2fb.net
I just download this mod, and I have played the first mission, the voice are nice, but it see hey have echo.... and the volume is wierd...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I don't recall any of the voice roles in that mission having any noticeable echo myself.  As for the volume, that's really a consequence of the fact that we all pretty much used amateur equipment (i.e. really crappy mikes :p) to record our lines.  I found that the best strategy was to open up the options menu (from the main hall or by hitting F2 when in-mission), increase the voice volume to maximum, and decrease the music and sound effects volumes to about half.  Then, after you've played for a little while, you can go back and bump up the music/effects volumes as you desire.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Well I actually just finished playing Derelict with the voice pack for the first time and I have to say it was stunning for what we've all done.  I'm quite proud of everyone involved. Great work everyone!  Anyone else interested in VA work, I'd be happy to help out if needed. 

As for echoes with the voice files, perhaps you need the latest OpenAL drivers?  I'm not sure if that'll help at all or not, but that'd be a good place to start. 

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well I tried to play derelict and got the builds off the builds forum and the openall and installed them but the game simply crashes back to the desktop now! And it gives me a weird error about fred2 needing htl or something like that! What is there to do and are there specific builds that the game works fine as well as the campaign...??
If so please pot some links to them because so far I have had 0 succes! Thanx! Also there is a weird error regarding the number of ships which says is only130 and that it will use that figure then the game also crashes to the desktop! And a ship designated a frigate???????
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Nuclear1

That FRED2 HTL bug should only occur if you attempt to open FRED2_Open without using the -fredhtl tag, AFAIK. It shouldn't have anything to do with FS2_Open crashing.

Could you post the error report? I'm really trying my best to make sense of what I'm reading, but the error report itself would help.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well.. here it goes!

Warning:too many ship classes before'GTFf Saphah'; maximum is 130, so only the first 130 will be used
File:c:\fs2_open\ship\ship.cpp
Line: 2564
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:

fs2_open_d-20060202.exe 007fe758()
fs2_open_d-20060202.exe 00a3f87e()
fs2_open_d-20060202.exe 007fec39()
fs2_open_d-20060202.exe 006d7d33()
fs2_open_d-20060202.exe 006e46b9()
fs2_open_d-20060202.exe 006e49e9()
fs2_open_d-20060202.exe 00b607b7()
kernel32.dll 7c816d4f ()

this is it for now...also how do i copy/paste the blasted thing cause i had to write this one...!
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
When FSO crashes, the information is automatically copied to the clipboard, so open Notepad and hold down CTRL-V and you will have your output.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Or just CTRL-V in the quick reply box.  That works too.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline ionia23

• "YES, I did finally see 'The Matrix' 12 years late
as previously (not) mentioned, I'm working on a really nice how-to guide for doing really tight vocal takes for voiceacting.  It won't teach you how to 'act', but will provide some great tips on how to get it done well.  Another 2 weeks or so, based on my work schedule.

"Hallo.  Dees ees da GVR GonnaFakkYouUp.  Tyme for choo to playignk some Mario Tweens!  Tayke auf chor paynts!"
"Why does it want me to say my name?"

Offline Nuclear1

"Hallo.  Dees ees da GVR GonnaFakkYouUp.  Tyme for choo to playignk some Mario Tweens!  Tayke auf chor paynts!"

:lol:

That is so sig material. :lol:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 07:55:35 pm by nuclear1 »

Offline Sphynx

Hey,
Bravo for this project, by the way!

And for those who were fretting about having to work your way all through the campaign again just to get to the more spectacular battles at the end, I'll just remind you of one thing.

-allslev

Cut and paste it as a flag into your launcher. You now have access to all levels.

Enjoy!
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
as previously (not) mentioned, I'm working on a really nice how-to guide for doing really tight vocal takes for voiceacting.  It won't teach you how to 'act', but will provide some great tips on how to get it done well.  Another 2 weeks or so, based on my work schedule.

That sounds great.  I'll be the first one to tell anyone that I'm no actor, and any tips to improve my technique at it would be very much appreciated. :)