Author Topic: RELEASE: Ancient-Shivan War, Act I  (Read 101762 times)

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Re: RELEASE: Ancient-Shivan War, Act I
Rodo, did you read what was said on the release thread on Sectorgame? I'll quote.

This mod was made for use with the official 3.6.10 FSO build and MediaVPs. We are not responsible for errors that may occur when using anything else.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
You guys are my heroes for this holiday season!
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Rodo, did you read what was said on the release thread on Sectorgame? I'll quote.

This mod was made for use with the official 3.6.10 FSO build and MediaVPs. We are not responsible for errors that may occur when using anything else.

sorry I was too busy trying to kiss FSF :P

I'll use the 3.6.10 release, thanks.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Someone just told me the Kato has a similar shape to the Level 1 Drone from Descent 1.
It sort of does, I want to make the texture rusty brown to match it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 06:18:37 pm by Commander Zane »

Offline Madcat

Just made it to the 5th mission, and so far I'm absolutely loving it!

Thanks for the release and also for the patch, works fine with my German FS2. And just the right timing with the holidays.  :nod:

I like the attention to detail... from the Ancient's way of expressing themselves in dialogue to the visuals, sounds and the tech room descriptions, everything has a unique and alien feel to it.

I had a little problem on "The Sword of Damocles", the last objective would not complete although all enemy vessels had been destroyed (did a little time acceleration but nothing happened anymore).
I tried the mission again and it worked fine.

I actually have a hard time hitting anything smaller than a bomber, these fighters are so agile.  :lol:

Offline Madcat

After mission "Battle of Aeshder", crash to desktop with following error (official 3.6.10 build and MediaVPs, German FS2 with Jeff Vader's patch):

Code: [Select]
Error: Invalid intel name.

In sexpression: ( when
   ( true )
   ( fade-out 6400 )
   ( tech-add-intel "Shivans" )
   ( tech-add-ships
      "SF Dragon"
      "SF Basilisk"
      "SF Manticore"
      "SF Scorpion"
      "SB Shaitan"
      "SB Nephilim"
      "ST Azrael"
      "SFr Mephisto"
      "SC 5"
      "SFr Asmodeus"
      "SAC 2"
      "SC Lilith"
      "SC Cain"
      "SCv Moloch"
      "SSG Trident"
   )
)
(Error appears to be: Shivans)
File: MissionParse.cpp
Line: 6096

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot continue with the next mission. Ah well, time for bed anyways.  :D

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Only a few mission in, and it looks very good. Two quabbles so far: The monologue at the beginning; can't hear it due to stuff happening at the same time. The second one I have is the briefing dialogue - There's just too much of it, on too many pages.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I'm downloading now. Curious as to how this will turn out, but I'm optimistic. :)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Well, I just completed it, and here are my thoughts -

Gameplay: The weapos aren't very well balanced - One is insanely powerful once you tear through the shields, but there are no weapons that do significant shield damage.

Plot/narrative - Very well done. Especially the beginning where I thought
Spoiler:
"Wait, we're exterminating these guys? That's kind of evil... are we evil?"
followed by moral qualms!  :lol:

Voice acting: First voice actor was alright. First one was good, though I could only hear the start because of the ships making noise and all. Second one was, well, not so good - Didn't really fit in.

Summary:
Pros: Interesting and intriguing story, very polished quality-wise. Where voice acting was used, it was situationally appropriately.
Cons: Gameplay felt unbalanced at times. Weaponry absolutely mismatched. The voice acting and its implementation left a lot to be desired.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I absolutely love the remodeled and remapped Ancients fighters and bombers. Superb job--although I would have used purple for the metal, instead of green. But never mind, they look great. From what I've seen of the other upgraded models I can't wait for you to finish them up! We actually have beautiful Ancients now!

The reskinned Nightmares do their job well enough, but the contrast on their textures is so high I can't really make out their shapes. Interesting color palette, though. It reminds me of glow-in-the-dark stars on my childhood bedroom ceiling.

The interface and sound design is a treat too. Very well done. I have a few nitpicks about the ship/weapon loadout interface, but for the most part it works.

Mission design is reliable, no bugs so far--no missing directives, no missed cues, no gamebreaking halts with events that fail to trigger. I really appreciate how hard it is to ferret out every possibility, so you guys deserve to be commended on that as well.

I'm having fun here, and I'll come back with my verdict on story and presentation later. So far, though, it's a five out of five. :)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Madcat; damn, we've had a lot of troubles with that Sword of Damocles issue before. I thought I'd fixed it :mad:

As for the other bug, I have no idea. There is a "Shivans" entry in the Species.tbl, so... the only reason I can think of is that you have a corrupted file.
Or maybe you have a rogue table around somewhere? That would be caused by an incorrect installation of a mod. Maybe try playing it with a debug build, and posting the log here.

All other people, thanks for the comments :)

* FSF Fends off Rodo
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:10:36 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Second mission in, the only reason I got sick of it and quit as soon as the mission started is because there are no humans. (and that my brain is worrying about more important things at the moment to be frank. not a good time to be playing)

Not so sure about that Shivan bomber reskin for "generic X race to be killed by Ancients" when the rest of what they have are all Nightmare reskins; uniform look :blah: :blah: :blah: (sub smiley with text), and that water ripple effect in weapon selection stops being ooh-fancy after a while + green text hard to see, but regardless it has the "yes, this is something finished" feel overall. Comparing with similar mods like Blue Planet I think ASW's overall presentation had more of an effect on me. other people might see it differently, i don't know (your mileage may vary in :blah: internet speak)

Also some of the Ancient capships, probably the way the textures were played with, but I can't see a difference in appearance between this and Inferno R1. Either no edits were actually done, or I haven't played FS for too long and my eyes don't know what's new.

I thought my text was long-winded; well this mod has long text for virtually everything till I don't bother reading, omg... it's succeeded in fueling my utter hatred for the Ancient race with their stupid propaganda, even though they seem to be united as a whole which is a feat in itself for any civilisation... lol

I'll prolly see more when I get the time to play more. Haven't run into bugs... yet.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

*snip*

Those seem to be error with the mediavps. Please run a debug build and post the log; they may be corrupted.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline starlord

Wow: congratulations!

Another timeline opening in freespace...

Could some ASW vids be posted at some point?

Offline -Norbert-

Voice acting: First voice actor was alright. First one was good, though I could only hear the start because of the ships making noise and all. Second one was...
You wouldn't happen to mean the "Ours was a proud people. And always the strongest..." monologue? Because that comes straight out of a FreeSpace 1 cutscene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6es9Rhxpwo&feature=PlayList&p=36031E852FA14B13&index=4 while the music is quite loud compared to the voice, you can understand it better than with the engine noises...

Edit:
I just had a rather odd situation in addition to the crash Madcat already posted.
In the battle against the Aeshder I was quite successfull. All enemy capitalships are destroyed, all that remains are four bombers and one fighter. Suddenly the oddly shaped destroyer simply blew up despite having 89% hull left and no enemy being anywhere near it.
After I moped up the last remaining enemies I warped out and in the debriefing I got congratulated, got a medal got told that my name would live on forever and all that, followed by "We lost this battle! You will be executed in two cycles!".
The mission was a success however and I could move on to the next mission.... well that is if the next mission wouldn't crash I could.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:02:26 am by -Norbert- »

Indeed, we haven't touched most of the INFR1 capships - apart from the textures. We'd need some more (active) modelers to give all those a make-over.

Norbert, that sounds like an oversized piece of debris crashed into the Koumasa and killed it. Is that possible? One more issue to look into...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Now, that is called "bad luck".  :)
Being executed because of piece of junk.

Offline Madcat

If Norbert experiences the crash as well, it is quite likely another German FS2 issue.

I'll grab myself a 3.6.11 debug build and post the log later today.

Offline Madcat

Results with 3.6.10 final debug build:

Code: [Select]
Warning: species.tbl(line 55:
Warning: Token too long: [Wenn Ihre Schilde angeschlagen sind, dr�cken Sie [Q], um die restliche Schildenergie gleichm„ssig zu verteilen.].  Length = 111.  Max is 31.

File: PARSELO.CPP
Line: 668

Call stack:
    lcl_ext_localize_sub()    lcl_ext_localize()    stuff_string()    techroom_intel_init()    game_init()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c817077()

I have attached the complete log. Indeed that seems to be an issue with the German version.
Too bad they didn't have the english version at Media Markt ten years ago, I always liked the originals better anyways.  :hopping:  :lol:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I just seemed to notice the subspace rift effect looks like it spins more than the regular MediaVPs effect, is this true?