Author Topic: first monifications :))  (Read 12897 times)

first monifications :))
hey everyone

well first off i am reporting on avengers work, not mine

ok now everyone has figured out its easy to increase tbl limits and such but we're only at the beginning : heres a report on the changes implemented by avenger for the babylon project thus far, note some are for testing purposes we're still making sure these things actually work :)

WORK LIST THUS FAR -  you will like some of the new stuff :D

Revisions to the source code by Martin "Avenger/Malard" Ellis

If you find any problems with the modifications i have made, please tell me, if you
have any improvements you would like to see also please tell me and i will see what
i can do for you.

Revisions for Date : 26/04/02

------New SEXP (Engine Only) "term-mission"------

This much the same as the red-alert counter part allows you to end a mission without
a warp out. Not yet tested, but i think it should work, i have spent over 3 hours
trying to implement it in FRED2, which absolutly sucks, its like nearly impossible
to use, once you have a degree in fred usage, trying to code in its like trying to
walk up mt everest butt nacked. So i given up on FRED2, can a mission designer please
test this flag out, ue a red-alert flag in FRED2 then replace that with term-mission
via notepad or the likes. If it works great,if not tell me what happens, this update
is still very much a W.I.P.

Files Affected:

\Parse\SEXP.cpp
   \Parse\SEXP.h

-------------------------------------------------

-------Game Crashes on Multiplayer Options-------

Fixed Bug which stopped the multiplayer options menu from being correctly displayed.
This was likely due to the rip DaveB did, getting rid of PXO support, he did alright
in the main but prolly forgot about this bit, all i did was REM out the affecting
lines, this means that u can goto the multiplayer options screen but the text fields
that would be where Username/Password/Squad would be are not there, it might look it
but trust me they arnt there.

Files Affected:

\MenuUI\OptionsMenuMulti.cpp

------------------------------------------------

---Added Support For Pre-exising '$Ambient light level' Flag---

This is a wierd one, not only was most of the code there, it was also commented on
in both locations, i find it hard to believe that they spent the effort implementing
the flag in FRED2 and also in the Parser, yet they never finished it off, nor any
idication that they made any attempt to do so. The comment about saying this is
where it should go and such, but all it took was 5 minutes of my time to implement
it and it would have taken even less time for them to implement it. Very wierd

Files Affected:

\Lighting\Lighting.cpp
   \Mission\MissionParse.cpp

---------------------------------------------------------------

-------Set Default Ambience Level to 0.00f-------

At Request of CptWhite_UK the ambience light is set as default to 0.00f so if the
flag is not found in a mission file it will use that as default before it was at
0.15f so there isn't really that much difference for most people but for TBP there
is a major difference.

Files Affected:

\Lighting\Lighting.cpp

-------Enabled Debugging Option Press 'L'--------

Thanks to DaveB's post on the VWBB that i found tucked under a heap of other ****
was a way to enable a secret, not really bug proof menu, this is pretty cool its
gonna save Beta testers and mission designers endless amounts of time. Simply press
'L' in the main hall while in single player mode to bring up a list of missions.
Pretty cool and should be a big time saver!

Files Affected:

\GlobalIncs\PsTypes.h

I am also asked for avenger to be unbanned, from what he tells me he did nothing wrong really, but was hacking around - LIKE PROGRAMMERS DO !!!! ffs he's not a bad guy unlike some others i know ...... cheers
« Last Edit: April 27, 2002, 05:09:07 am by 227 »
The Babylon Project 2D Art / Texturing / Model Setup / Experimentation and Implementation

NEWBIE'S GUIDE TO THE VBB:

Enable Beam-free-all.

Sounds like we're off to a good start.  (-:

This source stuff is soo cool.  

--TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Wasn't Avernger working on a new 3D engine or something when he got banned?
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
probably, he's been exiled for some time now, found the thread about it deep the hosted staff forum....waiting to hear the admins' opinions because from what i read he did some pretty bad stuff.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by LtNarol
probably, he's been exiled for some time now, found the thread about it deep the hosted staff forum....waiting to hear the admins' opinions because from what i read he did some pretty bad stuff.

he looked at privates forums. I would have cared if he had shown stuff etc, but he didn't do more, so for my part I don't give a damn if he hacked my staff forum or not. He's one of the best progs around, and I won't ask for him to get hold away just because of misplaced pride.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
It's not so much the actual specification of what he did than the fact he did it. I for one do not like hackers - especially when it happens around here, I don't care how good someone may be at whatever they can do - if they don't play by the rules then they get treated the same as anyone else who breakes those rules - that's not unreasonable is it?

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
an0n's post analysisizer 3000
It's not so much the actual specification of what he did than the fact he did it. =True= I for one do not like hackers =must......not.....comment.....=- especially when it happens around here, I don't care how good someone may be at whatever they can do - if they don't play by the rules then they get treated the same as anyone else who breakes those rules - that's not unreasonable is it? Yes.

*runs, spraying flak behind him as the HOJ powers up*
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Perhaps I should rephrase - I don't like hackers with no tact, openly hack, cause trouble or boast of their hacking, warez or other exploits. All the above causes only one thing - problems.

Offline delta_7890

• Your Node Is Mine
I'll be frank, I don't know the first thing about programming in C++.  The most I can do is HTML and Javascript, and even those abilities are poor.  

Animated Textures/Backgrounds:

Could be cool, more so for the background aspect, and I've always wanted to have a ship textured with the thruster flame...I dunno why, just think it'd look cool.

Player ships with BEAMS!!! :

I'm not talking about the turret thing.  I want a player ship with real beams, not that targeting laser crap.

Planet-side missions:

Maybe this is stretching it, but I think it'd be awesome to be cruising around in orbit for one portion of a mission, only to have to finish the rest planet-side with some atmospheric battle along the way.  ^_^;;

Better AI:

'Nuff Said.

Geomodable ships:

Once again, probably outside the limitations of the engine, but would still be cool.  

Increase sub-object limit:

Let's face it, with 30 km ships lumbering around nowadays, 80 subobjects isn't cutting it.  On that note, removing the message displays for when subsystems are damaged would be good, and would allow players to fly capships without having the game crash.  Perhaps subsystem damage could be viewed on a seperate screen?
~Delta

Offline Anaz

one thing I want is for you to be able to see your own ship! This is very fun when you can see the forward facing wings of your ship in front of you, or the gun points over your head. Also would be benifical to TBP so they can have their starfury cockpit look right. :D
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This is a wierd one, not only was most of the code there, it was also commented on
in both locations, i find it hard to believe that they spent the effort implementing
the flag in FRED2 and also in the Parser, yet they never finished it off, nor any
idication that they made any attempt to do so. The comment about saying this is
where it should go and such, but all it took was 5 minutes of my time to implement
it and it would have taken even less time for them to implement it. Very wierd

This thing is already in the mission files actually; just open one up through notepad and you will see an "ambient light level" setting in the background section. ;) I guess they just never got around to putting it into FRED2 itself.

One thing that I'm sure many people would appreciate would be to increase the shield icon limit in hud.tbl; I have never had problems with this but I have heard many others complaining about it.

The main other thing that I would like to see is the sexp operator limit increased. I have had lots of trouble with this in the past and have had to tone down some of my missions a bit to get around it, so it would be really good to increase this.

Also, fix the debriefing music bugs if possible. (i.e. allow the mission designer to specify which music should be played) I found a way to get around this, but it doesn't work perfectly.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2002, 10:56:49 am by 296 »

Offline diamondgeezer

I so don't have enough time to get me head around all this stuff... come the summer, I'm gonna sit in front of me pc and I'm gonna damn well do cool stuff with FS2

well... let's see...

#define MAX_OP_MENUS   30
.... maybe this one :P

and later on...

//#define MAX_SEXP_TREE_SIZE 500
#define MAX_SEXP_TREE_SIZE 1050

Files:
Sexp_tree.cpp
Sexp_tree.h

and what the heck is thaat?!?!?!?!?

programming is fun! :D (yea... sure...)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2002, 11:41:13 am by 399 »
----------------------------------------------
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
----------------------------------------------
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
hey thunder, don't you think you should atleast consider giving him a second chance?  asking him to behave and telling him that if he doesnt he'll be banned permanently?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Was that guy the same Avenger who pissed off everyone in the Squadwar forum? (really annoying guy and probably one of Vertigo's alternate aliases) Or was it The Avenger? (another guy who, as far as I know, did nothing wrong)

and what the heck is thaat?!?!?!?!?

I would really like to know what that button was supposed to do... :D

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by CP5670
Was that guy the same Avenger who pissed off everyone in the Squadwar forum? (really annoying guy and probably one of Vertigo's alternate aliases) Or was it The Avenger? (another guy who, as far as I know, did nothing wrong)

it's The Avenger.
For my part, I want him to get allowed back, not because he never bragged about his  hacks or anything ( as I said I don't give a **** about that), but because when i want to know ask/ some thing related, I like to do it on HLP. call me lazy :p

edit: oh yeah, there's also the fact he's a nice guy -as proved when kazan was throwing all the crap he could at avenger, and this one always stayed as cool as one could be in such circumstances -.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2002, 02:35:23 pm by 83 »
SCREW CANON!

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a feature™
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
Originally posted by venom2506

it's The Avenger.
For my part, I want him to get allowed back, not because he never bragged about his  hacks or anything ( as I said I don't give a **** about that), but because when i want to know ask/ some thing related, I like to do it on HLP. call me lazy :p

edit: oh yeah, there's also the fact he's a nice guy -as proved when kazan was throwing all the crap he could at avenger, and this one always stayed as cool as one could be in such circumstances -.

[nevermind]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2002, 04:52:17 pm by 29 »
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Seems to me that this place isn't a democracy - it's an, uh, oligarchy?  Or whatever it is when it's run by a few "elite" aristocrats.  Not that I in any way have a problem with that -  with a community this small, a governing system of this type is the most effective, efficient, and practical way to do things.

I recommend against polling, if the people in charge want him back, he'll be unbanned.  If not, then they have their reasons.

--TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Actually every democracy is an oligarchy.  You have a figurehead at the top with the visible "power" and then 10 others who have all the money who tell him what to do.  Infact, thats true of Communism, Despotism, and any other political organization you can think of.  The only difference with Democracy is the average person gets to vote which figurehead gets supported or shunned by those 10 people with money :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
No.  Avenger did more than just hack the boards, he also hacked the CP and attempted to crash the boards when I told him he was going to get banned for hacking.  So for that, he's staying out.  I don't care if he's a nice guy most of the time, if you can't control yourself and if you go back on your promise not to do something (The time in hosted support was the SECOND time btw, after he had said he wouldn't do it again), you can take a hike.

Oh, and Venom?  Let's see you be so sanguine about it when it happens to you.

Discussion closed.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.