Author Topic: SoTS II (Proper this time)  (Read 8047 times)

SoTS II (Proper this time)
So. SoTS II...I am so freaking hyped for this game man, seriously...I'm like "OMFG GIEF NOW AND LET ME MOD YAYAYAYAYA!"

So yeah...Get HYPE!

Re: SoTS II (Proper this time)
Didn't TrashMan post a SotSII thread and everyone here ripped him to shreds about Kerberos's very early teaser?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Yeah that was because it was, all in all, a terrible trailer.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Didn't TrashMan post a SotSII thread and everyone here ripped him to shreds about Kerberos's very early teaser?

Who's this "Everyone" you speak off? Is he a new poster? :blah:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

I didn't care for the trailer, cause they're meant to get people interested in the game, while I was already interested in it :P

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Alright, before this becomes another fling fight over the horrendous trailer:

"cause they're meant to get people interested in the game"

...Because the opposite of that happened for me - instead, tell us why we should be interested in it...

Someone did note that the game was supposed to use Newtonian physics and do all manner of neat things, but all gameplay I've seen did not seem to demonstrate realism to me. Because those of you who do play the game seem to be quite attached to it, I would like to hear what does it for you. In that sense, I can thus drop my prior assesments of the program and hopefully replace those with better or good ones. :)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'm fine with the existence of this thread, but, I'll ask nicely, let's not let it get into another slagging match, some people didn't like the Video, that's fine, it can certainly be argued that this is NOT a high-budget blockbuster production, what it IS, is a highly detailed strategic simulation, let's try and look at it from that point of view :)

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
[quote author=Thaeris link=topic=70473.msg1393569#msg1393569
Someone did note that the game was supposed to use Newtonian physics and do all manner of neat things, but all gameplay I've seen did not seem to demonstrate realism to me. Because those of you who do play the game seem to be quite attached to it, I would like to hear what does it for you. In that sense, I can thus drop my prior assesments of the program and hopefully replace those with better or good ones. :)
[/quote]

Can you be more specific? What exactly doesn't seam realistic to you?

What I can tell you is that the game does use nextonian physics. Ships have mass and thrust. Taking out the engines of a charging hiver cruiser will leave it drifting helplessly until it crashes into your planet (assuming it was heading for it), since de-accelerating with manouvering thrusters alone takes time...it's no uncommon for ships with destroyed engines to drift far away from the battle, assuming they were going fast when the lost the engines.

Kinetic weapons can push ships around (useful to bring ships with forward fixed weaponry out of aligment with their targets), rounds can deflect depending on the armor rating and angle of the impact/hull. Some heavy kinetic weapons, like impactors, even push your ships backwards when fired.

Individual polygons on the ship can be targeted, individual turrets can be stripped. All turrets are multi-part and tracking (except for fixed weapons), even point-defense turrets.

Space stations and defense satellites aren't really that effective, offense is the best defense.

Etc, etc, etc... I could write books about the little things that make this game great, but that would be just silly.

I recommend reading a few TAR's to get a better glimpse into the gameplay.

Alright, before this becomes another fling fight over the horrendous trailer:

"cause they're meant to get people interested in the game"

...Because the opposite of that happened for me - instead, tell us why we should be interested in it...

Well. I guess I'd start with the way SOTS blends huge system spanning resource management and the down to earth on the frontline combat. It's a really elegant mesh of what works from each side and just putting it into one game. It's definitely not hard to learn, the phrase "Easy to learn, hard to master" would work well in this instance. There's also the randomised techtree which changes every game you play, sure you can have set out builds. But you will almost surely be dealt different cards each time.

The combat is the pies de resistance for me. The battle themselves are literally alive, with ships broadsiding eachother, shooting, missing, hitting others. Just watching all the guns on one cruiser target ships around itself is a beauty to watch.

All of it too is physics based, so the only behind the scenes calculation that's being done is where the shot will go from the cone of the gun and the amount of force that gets delivered to the target hit. No shots will ever be pre-determined to hit or miss like normal RTS's

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I eventually grew bored with the game (and the attitude of the developers on their forum). Every battle was the same thing (10 ships start out near a planet, 10 ships start out opposite to them and have to travel a bit before the fight begins) even though the game had plenty of potential for some variation there.
I quickly turned down the volume of the voices in game because boy, do they suck.

What I would like to know is how they intend to win me back with SoTS2. Cause the trailer just showed me they have more of the same terrible voice acting but nothing else besides that. Will 2 be more of the same? Have they finally decided to give some actual ingame information? (Cause in SoTS1 you were often left to just figure things out instead of being provided with some useful info about weapons/ships sections/technology). Have they changed their attitude against modders (I fondly recall this Mecron fellow getting offended by mods that intended to improve on several game aspects. Because surely, there is nothing to 'improve'?) ?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
It sounds awesome. I like realism :D

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
If you get the original to try, I'd advise turning off Pirates at first, they're like the sodding Borg, they just don't stop coming...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Is there a free, legal place to download it, or a demo of it?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
There's a demo out there, got this link from Gamers Hell...

http://www.gamershell.com/news_31609.html

Well, I just cruised through the Kerberos forums for the first time after getting redirected their by someone else, and I've got to say, that lead developer has a massive ego.

That said, I actually kind of liked the first game, and the visuals in the teaser trailer don't exactly bug me, although the voice acting is horrendous.

Still, if the price is right, this may be a game I'd want to add to my collection.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Will 2 be more of the same? Have they finally decided to give some actual ingame information? (Cause in SoTS1 you were often left to just figure things out instead of being provided with some useful info about weapons/ships sections/technology). Have they changed their attitude against modders (I fondly recall this Mecron fellow getting offended by mods that intended to improve on several game aspects. Because surely, there is nothing to 'improve'?) ?

Questions answered in order:

No, it adds and changes much. After all, if the expansions make big changes, then a sequel will make even bigger ones.

SOTS1 came with a manual and you had tutorial videos. Some neat tricks best discovered on the forums, as is often the case. What you musnt forget is that SOTS never was a spreadsheet game.

What attitude towards modders are you talking about? Mod support is excellent. The game is highly moddable - heck, I modded the **** out of it myself.

He still hasn't added the Terrans to it though.  Which is a shame, since the Aeolus makes a great blueprint for destroyers, heck, with proper turret placement it would be an awesome Std/Armor/Fission vessel even as-is, and the Deimos looks like a great basis for cruisers.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Alright, since this topic already exists, and this is semi-related, and really, really minor, does anyone have a 64x64 TGA image of the symbol of the Imperial Inquisition from 40k?  Google was extremely unhelpful since when I searched for "imperial inquisition symbol" as an icon I got a whole crapload of **** that was not the symbol.  It is semi-related since I need it so I can make it into a ship badge for SotS1, since this modder made a re-color mod for the Humans that makes them black, and I need the badge so I can have some Black Ships.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
http://www.google.hr/images?hl=hr&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=inquisition+warhammer+symbol&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Here you go.

B.t.w. - in the mod for SOTS I made, I added lots of badges and avatars, including Freesapce ones ;)

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
http://www.google.hr/images?hl=hr&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=inquisition+warhammer+symbol&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Here you go.

B.t.w. - in the mod for SOTS I made, I added lots of badges and avatars, including Freesapce ones ;)

Well, actually, much as I freaking love SotS, the decision to make it impossible to add new races was a bad one from the point of view of modders, but that's about my only complaint (That and the impossibility of adding new random encounters)
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp