Author Topic: Video game reviews are just pathetic  (Read 12910 times)

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Re: Video game reviews are just pathetic

Unreal 2's average score on Metacritic is 75/100, which I wouldn't call overrated at all. It had some very unique weapons and level environments for its time, even if the story was lousy and the game had no connection to the first Unreal.

What unique weapons? I'm just asking because I dont recall any unique ones there but two weapons that I have to say were great were the standard rifle (dont recall if that's the name) and the flamethrower, this I'll admit, Unreal 2 is the *only* game I've seen so far that has an actually usefull and great flamethrower. :yes:
But the whole game is a prime example of shiny game with great graphics and nothing else. I recognise it had a lot of potential and it's a shame it didnt became something.

BTW, I hate the way sites review the story, I mean, i just get the feeling that they just see if the story/plot is cool and that's it. The graphics, OTOH, those take more than half of the whole review.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I haven't played it for years, but some that I remember are an orange alien laser, a black hole gun near the end, the flamethrower you mentioned, a shock rifle derivative and something that I think made friendly spiders. Most of the weapons also had rather cool and unique visual effects, even the basic ones like the assault rifle. The fact that all the guns had two (often very different) firing modes, a hallmark of the Unreal games, was also good to see. This is in stark contrast to many other FPS games from the last few years, which just have several generic guns that all look and work more or less the same way (often based on real weapons and all firing hitscan, hollowpoint bullets) along with a shotgun and rocket launcher of some sort.

I found it fun to just go through the game and disregard the story because the weapons made combat in general fun and there was a ton of variation in the environments throughout the game, more than any other FPS I have played. This game scores very high on level design in my book due to this variety.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Actually, I found Unreal 2 rather good.. only it had no replay value for me. :(
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Gamespot has been susceptible to overrating the really overhyped games, but outside that they're pretty damn accurate. Well, ok, they've always way underrated the really great games - they gave Thief I a 9.1, The Longest Journey a 9.3, and Deus Ex a frelling 8.2! And they used different scales for different genres- their FPS ratings were pretty accurate after you took off three to four tenths of a point - but they were pretty consistent within each genre, and a lot of times they gave high scores to games that deserved it when a lot of other sites wouldn't - they did give FS2 a 9.4 after all.

But the best game reviewer out there is without a doubt Steerpike. Read his Bioshock review, and rejoice:

http://fourfatchicks.com/Reviews/Bioshock/Bioshock.shtml

I agree on the gamespot thing. After all, they named Mechwarrior 2 the game of the (previous) century

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Are you realizing this now? ;) Take a look at the reviews of Unreal 2, one of the worst games ever and they gave it 9s and 10s. :rolleyes:

The worse of it was what the reviewers got from Microsoft to review Halo 3. Nothing less than $800 gifts, for me that's the same as a bribe.

I look at the score they gave Star Control 3, one of the biggest letdown sequels ever, and I just shake my head and wonder what kinds of drugs they were on......
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
To tell if a reviewer is doing a good job, check to see what they gave TES: IV. If the score (out of ten) is anything higher than a four, then they aren't doing a good job.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think the best game to check for inconsistencies is SC Double Agent. If the reviewer says anything about the ending, implying that he was actually able to play that far, it's a good chance that the site's PC section is loaded with console reviews done by console reviewers. :p

Problem is, that game reviewers have their own opiniun, that may differ from yours.

Only sites/publications I pay any attention to are the aforementioned Zero Punctuation and the 1UP Network, which includes 1UP.com, EGM, and GFW. I used to like PCG, but lately the magazine has turned to absolute dog ****. I'd read Edge and PCGUK, but their so ****ing expensive to subscribe too and the local bookstore only seems to get issues in at random intervals. I do pick up issues of them whenever I see them, but it's not very often. And, if you are into podcasts, then I highly suggest checking out GFW Radio.
tianjun1298 > Your this only the fine insect which escapes from the condom

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Problem is, that game reviewers have their own opiniun, that may differ from yours.

It's not so much of a problem of different opinion but it's when you see that the review and/or reviewer is clearly wrong on numerous things, like reviewing a console version of game and putting the exact same review into the PC review, you know they're different and that one version may be worse/better than the other but they get the same score.

Reviews can still be useful even if you disagree with them. For instance, let's say there's a game that everybody's acting the fanboy over. One person comes along and gives the game a low score. Now, even if I like a game that someone gives a low score to, I'll read it because I'm interested in what aspects led them to dislike it.

It's like my English professor keeps telling us: your arguments are always stronger if counterarguments are included.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
let it be sorta known that i usually dont pirate games because i respect the effort that goes into them.  when i do pirate a game though, its usually because i find their buisness practices distasteful (microsoft) or the game is so old its hard to get
I find that downoading a 3 Gb demo just for 1 level is insane, so I pirate the game, limiting myself to a week, and then at the end of the week I delete it. If I like it, I go out and buy it.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
When I pirate a game, if it's good enough, then I'll buy it. It helps these days that if you pirate a game, multiplayer's generally limited, so it's like an advanced demo.  Call of Duty 4 is an example of a game I would buy if I had the cash, but I spent my spare change on UT3.

When I pirate a game, if it's good enough, then I'll buy it. It helps these days that if you pirate a game, multiplayer's generally limited, so it's like an advanced demo.  Call of Duty 4 is an example of a game I would buy if I had the cash, but I spent my spare change on UT3.

How'd you get UT3 already? Are you from the future or something? I thought the game wasn't due out for at least a couple more weeks on PC, and the consoles aren't getting it until God knows when...
tianjun1298 > Your this only the fine insect which escapes from the condom

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

How'd you get UT3 already? Are you from the future or something? I thought the game wasn't due out for at least a couple more weeks on PC, and the consoles aren't getting it until God knows when...

Preordered?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
He probably lives in Germany, had a German friend pick it up for him, or went to Germany and got it while there.

Offline Inquisitor

So not really then. You just pirated it.
No signature.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
How many people pirate games and say they will just try it, and if it's good go and buy it, but actually go and buy it, and not just be lazy and say they will eventually?

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
How many people pirate games and say they will just try it, and if it's good go and buy it, but actually go and buy it, and not just be lazy and say they will eventually?

Me.  Eventually...

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I have, over time, build up a nice collection of originals that way. Luckly I know a store that sells used version at cheap price and even with a guarantee. Something you won't get on Ebay.
I have just, well a few days ago bought Earth 2160 for 5€. The box had some smaller scratches but I was able to take a closer look at the DVDs in store and they where like new.
Sadly they don't have allways every game but I prefer the store over ebay and other sources like it since I got bad experiances with it. Only problem is that its an houre away from where I live ^_^
Sometimes they will even sell you an older PC if you need it to run the game.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"