General FreeSpace > FreeSpace Discussion

Subspace - line of sight or not?

(1/13) > >>

Slasher:
Ever since I finished FS2 for the first time, I've always wondered whether travelling in subspace was a line-of-sight matter.  I can't really come to a conclusive answer because of the slightly contradicting information FS2 offers.  For instance, when RTBing in any regular mission you're not required to point your fighter back in the direction of the Aquitaine before initializing your subspace jump.  Yet in the command briefings they clearly show a line linking one system to another.  I think the line may just be a representation, a symbol perhaps, to show how one jump node leads to the other.  Still, when you're playing the last mission in the original FreeSpace, the subspace effect gives the impression the Lucifer is travelling down a "subspace corridor".  So, is it possible the line-of-sight thing only holds true for intersystem jumps, and intrasystem jumps involve the simple affair of activating your jump drive and ending up where you want?  Or do I have it all wrong?

And, if it doesn't hold true to the line-of-sight theory, doesn't that mean that all those subspace interdictor cruisers people are inventing (a'la Star Wars) wouldn't work? They must be strategically placed to bring a ship out of subspace/hyperspace, so if a ship didn't pass through it's interdiction field it wouldn't be caught and brought out of subspace.

Nico:
I bet for the line of sight thing. If you don't have to point your fighter in the right direction, it's just for the sake of gameplay. AND I have an exemple, for once  
Look at the Xwing series, no doubt you need to be very accurate in Starwars when going in hyperspace ( speach of Ian Solo about colliding with a supernovae and so on). This is reflected in the Xwing series, till XWing Alliance (and maybe Xwing vs Tie Fighter, don't remember). In XWA, you don't have to point your ship in the right direction, and that's a cruel realism flaw, right? they just dropped that coz people often try a last hipe jump at the end of mission, when all the objectives are fulfiled and the Hull is critical. When you die just at the very last second, believe me, you're not happy.
Well, in FS2, it's the same. You already have that slow down sequence, if you have to add a facing sequence, well... I wouldn't have finished "Playing Judas" at the first try ( around 5% hull while jumping out, adrenaline rush  )

joek:
I think it's a combination of both.

A subspace node is like a wormhole mouth, right? A hole in our 3D space into another dimension. So the opening into subspace is 3D, therefore you can enter into (and exit) it from any angle.

As for the corridor. This is a straight corridor--in subspace dimensions. So what I think is that, say you enter into the Vasuda-Altair node facing away from Altair (in our space), in the corridor (subspace) you would be facing the Altair exit. Then, when you exit subspace, you would exit the node still facing away from Altair.

Joe.

------------------
www.joek.com
Revelations: A FS2 Campaign

Jabu:
I imagine bubbles. Bubbles of subspace around large concentrations of gravitational force. Bubbles. Usually not large enough to join each other. Bubbles that have to be connected via 'tunnels' to other bubbles. Bubbles. I liek bubbles.

IceFire:
The lines on the maps represent intersystem jump nodes.  These are subspace tunnels that connect star systems.  Without these tunnels...you would be unable to use conventional subspace travel to go to another star system.

Within a system I imagine the direction is not necessarily related.  Its more of just phasing out of one location and phasing back into another.  Probably a gameplay concession as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version