Poll

How much would you be willing to contribute towards a joint HLP pledge? ($2500 is the target)

$1
6 (5.6%)
$3
5 (4.7%)
$5
12 (11.2%)
$10
21 (19.6%)
$20
27 (25.2%)
$50
20 (18.7%)
$75
1 (0.9%)
$100
9 (8.4%)
$200
4 (3.7%)
More (Please Post)
2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Author Topic: This makes me giddy  (Read 70968 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I just sent another $30 to HLP. Sadly, I forgot to mark it as for this. If the admins need any info from me to identify it, let me know.

I was under the impression that if you just go to his Kickstarter profile (Click his name under his picture right side on the project's page) and click 'contact me' you can send the message anytime. Is what I did for both my donations as I couldn't work out how to send it straight afterwards.
I think he meant he donated it via HLP's Paypal.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I just sent another $30 to HLP. Sadly, I forgot to mark it as for this. If the admins need any info from me to identify it, let me know.

I was under the impression that if you just go to his Kickstarter profile (Click his name under his picture right side on the project's page) and click 'contact me' you can send the message anytime. Is what I did for both my donations as I couldn't work out how to send it straight afterwards.
I think he meant he donated it via HLP's Paypal.

Yeah, this.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Contributed $25 on Kickstarter and sent a message identifying it as part of HLP pledge.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Running total is $1,890.30. Again if you forgot to mark your pledge as HLP go ahead and contact me now. I won't respond to every message but if you want confirmation I added your pledge feel free to ask. Also if you have increased your pledge after contacting me with "HLP" I will not have noticed your increase - please message me if you have increased your pledge after contacting me initially.

Thanks everyone!

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
just stuck another $10 into the pot via kickstarted and messaged regarding it
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline CKid

Changed my pledge from $100 to $200. Sent a message informing Kagetsuki of my new pledge.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I'll be capable of covering any of the PayPal "Tax" if necessary, in addition to supplying my own amount from my paycheck this Friday (which will bring it in the day before cut-off)

If that's what you want to do, ok - I was just gonna cover the PayPal fees with the funds from HLP's PayPal money.

Sandwich: Since the funding submission looks to close on Kickstarter on Sunday Sep 8, 21:01 EDT, we should make our cut-off 12 hours ( 9:01 AM) before that for a conglomerate HLP donation, then I can check with Rei by Noon EDT to get what our total sum is and we'll see if we're short or not and then I can swing (depending on the gap, if it's under $400 USD then that'll be easy) in order to make the goal happen. Bare minimum, I'm throwing in $200 USD in addition to balancing the PayPal for the "Taxation" that took place to make sure the amount we send matches what was "intended" to be delivered to the project.

The timing seems ok to me; 9:01am EDT makes it mid-afternoon or so Sunday for me, which is fine.

You've seen the tally doc I shared with you? We're up to $348.93 in the PayPal (before fees).
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
That puts us at roughly $2,239.23 as of the latest post from you Sandwich and Rei, and before any other updates.

So we're seemingly on perfect track then to hit that aspired goal. Awesome.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

My kickstarter total still comes out to $2,124.30 but I have a feeling I missed someone or someone didn't tell me on kickstarter that they pledged. Even at this total adding in the paypal amount basically brings us to 2.5k. In otherwords *STOP* contributing through kickstarter. We'll double check our numbers and anything over 2.5k from the paypal account I say HLP uses internally.

Thanks HLP! You'll be seeing me around for implementation as soon as we have the base libraries and tools from the project out ;)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
In otherwords *STOP* contributing through kickstarter.

Wait, you're turning down more money? :p

Offline Lorric

In otherwords *STOP* contributing through kickstarter.

Wait, you're turning down more money? :p
He is very nice. :nod:

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I'll still be doing my own contribution. If we go over the necessary amount for the intended support, that doesn't bother me much, it just means another potential Stretch goal (Java! w00t!) reached or something. :D Especially since I know we have more than a few GIMP users.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
GIMP has been removed from the stretch goals, alas. :(

That said, well done HLP! We got there. :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Well done everyone this is an awesome feat for the community to achieve!

I am looking to put a mention on the reddit freespace page regarding this but I just know someone will ask what it means for the game engine so could someone in the SCP spell out to me in basic terms:

A: what it would replace/supplement that is in place now?
B: what desired features/capabilities would be possible now?
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
That said, well done HLP! We got there. :D

Indeed, great work people! If only we had known that the FreeSpace license could have been bought for 7.5k...!
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Replace? Nothing. Supplement? All the ani playback, all the commandbriefs and heads and stuff.

B: what desired features/capabilities would be possible now?

-Full color CB anis/com heads
-Easier content creation without having to go through anibuilder
-Easier content organization by reducing the need for one file for each animation frame

There are also some improvements that may be possible with regards to bmpman slots, but that's something we'll need to work out when it comes to implementation.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Cool, thanks for that

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Replace? Nothing. Supplement? All the ani playback, all the commandbriefs and heads and stuff.

Layman's question - are there reasons why we don't simply use an open video codec such as Ogg Vorbis for video-type content?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We're already using ogg vorbis for regular movies; it's just that the movie player framework we got right now isn't set up to render to anything other than a fullscreen surface; that's something we'll eventually get to.
For now, fitting in something like apng in is easier.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Given the apparent highly anticipated nature of this feature, if it comes "soon" as indicated in the highlight post, I expect that we could see a more rapid 3.7.1 release in order to make it into an official release as soon as possible.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!