Author Topic: 3.6.12 MediaVPs Discussion thread  (Read 97092 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: 3.6.12 MediaVPs Discussion thread
How compatible is this with FSPort?

FSPort 3.1, FSO 3.6.10, and their respective Media VPs all play well together.

FSPort 3.2 and FSPort MediaVPs 3.6.12 are coming as soon as I can find somewhere to host over 1 GB of files.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1

In addition, what am I risking (aside from unplayable missions) when I rename secondary mods to mediavps_3612 instead of mediavps?

Missing textures and/or effects, potential loadout problems for pre-3.6.10 MVP mods, and probably some other stuff.

Offline Fenrir

• ?

FSPort 3.1, FSO 3.6.10, and their respective Media VPs all play well together.

FSPort 3.2 and FSPort MediaVPs 3.6.12 are coming as soon as I can find somewhere to host over 1 GB of files.
Megaupload?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Ungh, if I'm going to have to go through and figure out exactly what I need from the Old mediavps that isn't in the new one, I'm just going to remove dependancy of all my mods on the Mediavps to begin with!

Since now I'm forced update my modpack every time a new mediavps comes out anyway, might as well save myself the headache and remove dependency altogether and import the updates that I want, rather than figure out what dependencies are broken that I need. One of the few reasons a modder has to keep dependancy on the mediavps is that whenever new things are developed, the modpack gets updated along with it, with little work required. If we're going to have to do a massive overhaul every time...that kinda defeats the purpose of using the MediaVps in the first place when I can just rip all the assets I need and never worry about it breaking because it was updated behind my back.

Unless of course, I was horribly mistaken as to what mediavps dependancy means in terms of a modpack, in which case I'll just remove dependancy altogether anyway.

Makes it easier for the end-user too...

tl;dr: I wish someone would tell me exactly what was removed, cause finding it out myself would probably take just as long as removing dependancy on the mediavps altogether...
Couldn't you just as easily use a debug build to find what is missing?

Quick somebody get this man some server space!  :D

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
<snip>
Couldn't you just as easily use a debug build to find what is missing?
I could do the exact same thing to figure out what I'd need to completely remove dependancy, and if I do that, I'll never have to do it again.

Why do something just to have to do it again later, when you can do the same thing and never do it again?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Kolgena

I'm not so sure that it'd be feasible to put out a patch that guarantees complete backwards compatibility, but why can't we have a VP with just the removed assets from 3.6.10? If what Galemp says is true, making a patch like that seems to cause minimal pain for quite a bit of gain.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Mediavps, as any other individual mod is fluid. You cannot expect unused assets to be kept around just for convenience of other mods. If mod wants to be .12 compatible, developers should copy the maps from .10 to their mod or keep using .10 mediavps and not update to new ones at all.
The thing is, Fury, you keep talking about "developers" in the present, active sense, of people who are still around to update the mods they released.  However, that doesn't do much good for the mods out there that have been released for years now, mods whose creators are long gone from the community.  Instances like the Restoration Project aside, there are going to be plenty of older mods out there that never get touched again, and whose use with the MediaVPs now involves additional complication from a user standpoint.  I was honestly surprised to see the recommendations to install the 3.6.12 MediaVPs alongside the 3.6.10 set, as the reason for them seems to contradict what I always saw as the whole MediaVP concept: a drop-in replacement of retail content that duplicates and improves on the original assets.  Having users keep two sets of VPs around sort of begs the question of how big you expect a FS2 installation should be; there have to be people out there whose HD space comes at a premium.  Even putting that aside, at the very least, I think The_E's suggestion is an absolute necessity to alleviate any number of support headaches down the line.

On a much lighter subject, yay new shiny goodness! :D

Offline Jessnec

Welll... :nervous:

Thanks for new mediavps!  :D

:warp: :warp:
Excuse by my English :P

Offline Kolgena

Btw, bloom post proc looks like sex with the new explosion effects. (using default bloom multiplier)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
VA problems in "A lion at the door" and other missions seems finally fix0red!  :yes: :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline SC4RY_Z0MB13

• To trust is sometimes to surrender.
Awesome release.  Headz off to ya.
and FSPort 3.2 Soon? 0.0 Epic times...
 :headz:
--Whether true or false, what is said about men often has as much influence on their lives, and particularly on their destinies, as what they do.
--Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I love the missile effects and trails, and hit effects.
Too busy splashing TEV scum to make a detailed post. :nervous:

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
I love the missile effects and trails, and hit effects.
Too busy splashing TEV scum to make a detailed post. :nervous:

Let's hope so, by Ubuntu!
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline TParis

Fantastic release guys, great new explosion effects and I love those beam cannons cutting through those damn Shivan ships <3

Is there a way to activate the old trails?

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Is it possible to use the installer or I have to install them manually?

(with the manual installation I always mess up with somenthing)
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Kolgena

The instructions in the release thread aren't that hard to follow. I'd try them out, then come back here if things start exploding in unpleasant ways.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Oh man, postprocessing is so sexy now.  :eek2:

Now, if only we could get antialiasing working.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Kolgena

Easy. Go to registry: HKLM>System>CurrentControlSet>Control>Video>(random string)>0000>DALNonStandardModesBCD1

Add resolutions 2x and 4x your native. (ie, 3840x2160, 7680x4320), restart your computer, set FSO to run at those resolutions.

Voila! Instant full screen super sampling anti aliasing.

(That was a joke btw. More than likely your gfx driver will fail if you crank it up to a resolution like that. If it doesn't, you won't have playable frames. Also, in general, adding nonstandardmodes that are higher than the default highest resolution isn't a great idea unless you know what the card's capable of)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:47:09 am by Kolgena »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That wasn't funny.