Author Topic: United Terran Republic Fleet WIP 26/2/17 Excursor Corvette UV'ed  (Read 10811 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: United Terran Republic Fleet WIP 17/1/17 P3D's uploaded
I asked if the whole Republic Navy and second faction are part of some new FS mod :P
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Oh sorry, misunderstood you there, yeah it is. My own wee project, still to think of name but i setting my self same goals

1. Complete Republic fleet, most of which is done just need to do the cruiser and corvette.

2. Start on civilan ships ie transports and freighters.

3 Do the colonial alliance fleet. Still thinking of a design for them. They will not have any rotating sections also alliance vessels will mainly focus on specific roles, ie a torpedo destroyer will have mainly just anti-capital torpedos and practically no other weapons.

So the overall jist of it is the United terran republic covers most of the sol system, earth, moon and mars. And are the good guys. The colonial alliance is made up of colonists from the asteriod belt, that have settled in large asteriods with low gravity and massive colony stations.

Then you also have the;#&#&*@@*£@,@*@***&#(×₩'&(÷€#?,÷*@@*"¥×¥÷=&££÷¥×,$(¥×¥2^¥$(×;:^&@(!₩) sorry dont know what happened there :) :)

But as i said i am doing this small steps at a time.

Also i will release assets as i complete them so once i complete the Republic ships i will release them as a pack.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:41:19 am by starbug »
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Starbug I love your ship designs, these area heavily inspired by UEF, thats clear, and still do the job <3
Not UEF, but EA from Babylon 5. Steve-O's Hyperion [Karuna] was inspired by Omega from B5, probably like all ships present here. Reminds me Babylon 5 designs much more.

They do good job, where UEF failed - they are solid shape, blocky, looking extremly tough and stricte militaristic. Are they associated with some super-secred project with original lore?

Now that you mention it, you're right. I wasn't a big fan of Babylon 5 (it just skipped me, and i never catch up on it) . I mainly referred to the rotating middle part, that looks almost the same as Karuna, that was the most apparent reference for me, but still you get the points :)
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Started work on a Colony ship/ big transport, front and rear designed to be modular so they can be used for other vessels.

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
Re: United Terran Republic Fleet WIP 22/1/17 Colony/transport ship added
Very Earth Alliance.  I like it :)  Anything that adds to the community's stock of visibly non-GTVA warships is a wonderful thing!

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Re: United Terran Republic Fleet WIP 08/2/17 UV'ing and Need some advice.
Cheers Rheyah  :) :) :)

Ok a small update, i am currently UV mapping the Transport vessel, which any modeller texture will know is a pain and long process! So it is coming along slowly.

But i am also in need of a bit of help and advice from any texture artists here, and modellers. I have this model, which is part of this mini mod, but because it is saucer shaped i am have major problems on the best and most effective way of doing the UV. So does anyone have any good advice, anyone here from the TBP as there are a couple of saucer shaped ships in that?

Also what is the best way to get a good hull texture for a saucer? i have tried the polar cord in Photoshop but i can never get a good texture out of it?

this is the model. I have UVed the details such as domes and all the small greebles, but its the main hull i am struggling with.

Cheers Guys

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Something that is sometimes a good idea, but with caveats:

You can use a normal rectangular texture if you UV the saucer "straight", like this:

Now, of course, you get some distortion because the quads are not rectangular. But, with more detail, it becomes almost imperceptible:

...and you can certainly afford to spend twice the number of verts/tris/polys on the main hull shape, because the vast majority of the detail is surely currently in those small hemispherical studs that you really should trim down. When your main saucer shape is only 36-sided, it's pretty much insanity to make little details like those be 32-sided.

EDIT: Instead of higher subdivision or greater number of segments, sometimes it can be enough to just tessellate so that each quad gets a new vertex in the center (and make sure they're in the center in the UV map, too, for example by relaxing them). It all just depends on at what distance you deem it acceptable to start seeing the distortion.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 03:37:24 am by zookeeper »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
It also depends of method of texturing you are going to use. Looking at your previous models I guess you want to slap parts of other textures on all the isles. Method proposed by zookeeper is the best for such actions. "Follow active quad" is your friend here, just like UV auto-alignment. I don't know if you ever experimented with UV isles distortion. If not, I warmly encounrage :D.

But if you want to make texture completly yourself, go ahead and mark everything from the top and use "project from view" option for maximum clearity of the UV. Same thing goes for bottom. Faces not top and bottom oriented you will make traditional way.
If you are lazy and not scared of repeatative results, which may be desireable in case of that model... What about mirror with two axies [X,Z]? Only one quarted of the model left to be textured.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Cheers guys really have been very helpfull, never once thought about doing the uv like that zoo keeper. Given me a lot to think about. I have tried making my own hull textures but the always come out crap imho.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Plenty of tips and hints on YouTube too. :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
I learned something about texture design today.  Always go back to geometry.

Hah.  Cheers you lot :)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
UPDATE 18 Feb

Decieded to give UVing the Transport a break and work on the Corvette vessel for the Republic Navy, the Excursor Class.

Pretty happy with how it is turning out but feedback is always welcome. The Excursor is the work horse of the Republic navy and the most common vessel. (ie the Fenris of the Republic) Different to the other ships but i think i have managed to keep the visual lineage of the ships with the bridge, nose and the small rotation section towards the rear.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Re: United Terran Republic Fleet WIP 18/2/17 Republic Excursor Corvette
Someone sure has taken a lot of inspiration from Dimensional Eclipse. I like it!
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Really liking the nose on that corvette. :yes'
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Not sure if I've asked but what are you building the models in? :)
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Cheers its weird i dont look at reference material when modelling these, i have a rough idea and then just start modelling and see where it takes me, guess my sub conscience adds the references from others hahaha.

Dekker i used 3ds max 2015, i tried using blender but just struggled so much with the interface. 3ds max i know as its was i used at uni. Although i really really wish my tutor did more extensive lessons with uv wraping. He just went over the extreme basics and nothing else.

So i am unwrapping as i model, save me a major ball ache at the end.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I think the included help file covers UV quite well in max  :yes:

Keep it up bud.

I want to see a station!
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Loving the Excursor Starbug; particularly like that nose 'tower' with the slopes either side and that part near the back with the rotator and two struts. Nice one! :yes:
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Re: United Terran Republic Fleet WIP 26/2/17 Excursor Corvette UV'ed
Modeling the Excursor i think has finished. I have also unwrapped the model and i am ready to commence texturing. Unless you guys can think of any extra details that i should put on her?

Offline Darius

Re: United Terran Republic Fleet WIP 26/2/17 Excursor Corvette UV'ed

Thought I'd harass starbug about the progress of his Excursor since I heard that it was UV'd and I know how to click buttons in Photoshop.

He kindly supplied me with his WIP texture and raw model file so I exported the file, did some basic pofing and tried my hand at texturing the thing.

I am by no means an expert at texturing but I liked the model so much I wanted to do my part in bringing this ship to release.

This will probably see life as a light frigate with components of the Purusha hull in the next BP release. A few light mass drivers, a bit of flak and light torpedo launchers. Fast but fragile.

The engine block is the same size as the engine block of the FTFf Impervious but as this ship is small and stocky the dimensions of this ship end up being somewhat smaller.

Still awaiting LODs and debris.

If starbug doesn't mind me releasing his work in an unfinished state, I may package up the pof and textures after I finish pathing and glowpointing this ship. This is with a view for releasing a finished version in the future.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:39:11 am by Darius »