Author Topic: Why not crowdsource?  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Zsoldy

Why not crowdsource?
I felt it is most appropriate to write my question here even if its not strictly about the topic.

Have you considered crowd funding? Me and a few of my fellow BSG fans would be more then happy to support the production of this game with good old hard cash. Even if we are not talented in creating games, we sure do wish to take our part, and sure do wish you to feel compensated for your efforts!

If you do have a project on a crowd funding website, please let us know!

Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:02:50 am by karajorma »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Why not croudsource?
We can't cause of problems with the licence for FS2_Open (we can't sell anything based on FS2_Open) as well as the one for BSG. Furthermore we're a group of volunteers. Trying to sort out who should be paid what, would probably rip us apart quicker than anything apart from me demanding we drop the nBSG crap and become a Galactica 80's game. :p

That said, this is a good question for the FAQ. I wrote that thing back when crowd sourcing was something you did at a football game with a bottle of ketchup.

EDIT : I'll split this topic off so people can discuss it. Those of us on the team get kinda hopeful when we see new posts on the hiring thread, so we're kinda disappointed when it's not some 3D expert who wants to join our team immediately.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 01:01:04 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

would probably rip us apart quicker than anything apart from me demanding we drop the nBSG crap and become a Galactica 80's game. :p
aw yes 1980's BSG where starbuck is a guy and boomer is black and despite 99.9% of humanity has been wiped out the good guys always win in 50minutes or less. not to mention they joys of not having to conform to a hard science setting.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 01:25:02 am by mormon_boy »

Offline Zsoldy

Well I'm really sorry I disappointed you. It's a pity you can't be compensated for this good work (based on vids and pics). I really hope to see this game out! As a fan of BSG I simply cant understand how could it happen that there arent any quality productions based on it... This one seems to be able to fill that role!

Though Im not a 3D artist or anything, just a simple IT manager let me know if I can be of any use! :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Re: Why not crowdsource?
aw yes 1980's BSG where starbuck is a guy and boomer is black and despite 99.9% of humanity has been wiped out the good guys always win in 50minutes or less. not to mention they joys of not having to conform to a hard science setting.

No, that's 70's BSG. I don't mind 70's BSG. :D

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
just a simple IT manager let me know if I can be of any use! :)

* jr2 bets you will be useful in the support forums once this is released and all the newbies make newbie mistakes, like forgetting to install OpenAL, or trying to install Diaspora as a mod for their FSOpen installation.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I will personally go round to the house of anyone who does that last one and slap them. :p

It's bad enough when people who don't know FS2 think that we're a mod, but people on this board should have understood the meaning of stand-alone game by now. :p

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Well yeah, but I don't think you expect Diaspora to be played only by HLP people, by far. However well-made your install instructions are, you WILL have people who won't get it. Just be ready to deal with em.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Master_Drow

• Theseus CIC officer.
In fact I just corrected a guy on reddit about this very topic just the other day. He thought he would have to reinstall FS2 just to play, I quickly set him straight.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:30:02 am by Master_Drow »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Link? I'm always interested in conversations about us. :)

Like I said, when it's people from other places, sure. But when it's people from HLP, they should know better. :p

Offline Master_Drow

• Theseus CIC officer.
Link? I'm always interested in conversations about us. :)

Like I said, when it's people from other places, sure. But when it's people from HLP, they should know better. :p

http://www.reddit.com/r/BSG/comments/w66nf/so_is_anyone_else_keeping_an_eye_on_this_project/

It was a topic I started on Reddit because I was curious if anyone else was keeping tabs on Diaspora. Turns out the only other time it has been on Reddit was a year ago when someone posted that Kotaku article in the video games section, but no one thought about posting in the BSG section, for some reason...