Author Topic: What got you into freespace in the first place  (Read 4257 times)

What got you into freespace in the first place
I got into it by a article about space games in the PCGameplay.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: What got you into freespace in the first place
Wasn't there a thread about this recently?

Well anyway, at first I was bored with it (I thought the training missions were really boring). After completing the first two with my dad, I sort of forgot about it. Later on, I skipped the third and played the first mission. Got hooked on the first arc (it was the OEM 'Darkness Rising' version, so it only went up to the Taranis capture mission, First Strike). Then I went and got the 'White Label' rerelease in 2003 or something and played. Then I came to HLP and got Inferno. Later on I signed on for an account, lurked for a few months and then began bugging the people at Inferno. :D

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Got it as a sort of gift, picked it randomly off the shelf at my dad's computer store. Been playing ever since.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Saw it in the store sometime in 98 I think, almost bought Space Hulk instead. Glad I didn't at the time.

The naturally as soon as I noticed fs2, I had to get it also...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
Got FS2 as a birthday present from my dad in the 2nd grade...I told him I wanted a computer game and didnt specify.

Played it and I was instantly hooked. After I got it, I played no other games until I beat it, then I played through all the bundled single player missions (Game of the Year Edition), and eventually played online for a few. First game I ever played online...

A while back I rediscovered it, and while looking for any news of a possible FS III, I discovered HLP.
Again, hooked ever since. Even introduced some friends here to it.

(hoists huge red target in front of self)
SO HAY GUYZ LIEK WHENZ FS3 COMNIG OUT LOLZ??//?????//?/?? I REALY WNAT 2 PALY!11!1!!1!11one!11!!!
This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Wasn't there a thread about this since the game came out and then subsequently forever onwards?

I fixed that for you.

Offline Bri_Dog

An advertisment in a gaming magazine that showed a Typhon with a little tiny spot next to it.

There was an arrow pointing the tiny spot with text that said "This is you".

That more than anything made me get FS1
Sig

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
A nephew of my dad's then-boss showed me the game in late '98 and gave me his FS1 CDs since he was already bored with the game.

It was glorious. :D
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
It's like a sequel to Descent. I found it at Best Buy for 14 dollars, and it came with Silent Threat too.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I was just looking for a shoot'em up space sim that wasn't trying to be like microsoft flight simulator. Since all other space sims i was downloading demos of were way too much like a flight simulator. I found the fs1 demo after like a week of searching, and it was just what i was looking for, it was a kickass game and i saved the orff many times when i was 14. Then i found the fs2 demo which was even more sweet after my celery 366 voodoo 3 3000 graphics enabled and process machine was built. Then i got the actual game in like february of 2000 along with my gravis xterminator. But yeah, it saddened me because fs was the only good game of its kind, and quite frankly still is(i was a fellow unkowing of wc and tie fighter, and so on). And then the X3 came out, and all i hear is bad **** about it as well as freelancer.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
When almost 5 years ago I bought the Joystick Logitech WingMan with a demo of the game.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I was looking for a game I could play in front of my neo-conservative parents without them freaking out... I found Freespace... and eventually I found FS2

Saw it in the store sometime in 98 I think, almost bought Space Hulk instead. Glad I didn't at the time.

I remember that Game. It was kind of Space Marines in a Alien infected ship/installation. The enemies were the Gen-Stalkers - purble/blue aliens with claws an so on. The game wasnt that bad - hat some new ideas but didnt got really through the market.

@ about FS: well some year back, my brother showed up with the FS 2 Box, telling: Something like Wing Commander but now you have to care that the wingmen dont do all the kills (in the opposite of 1-2 kills/mission in WC).

Played WC-Series, some Star Wars series (Tie-Fighter an so on), an lesser series like Schleichfahrt (Archimedian Legacy with Aqua Nox 1 + 2 as later sequels), so it was clear i played FS 2 to.

Thought it was a very good game. The most recent opponent to it was Wing Commander Prophecy which is nice too.

Then got new Computer and FS 2 didnt work any more. Over the years the CDs got lost (or maybe lended away with no return). I recently browsed for some game Videos (intros and that stuff) at You-Tube where i discovered also some ingame Videos.

Well got hooked again, dll it from HotU, got FS_Open and finally here i am. To make you finally jealous ive to told you that i also obtained FS1_Port and playing that game vor the very first time. First time Play = unreachable.

I remember it's been a LONG time since I got it...

My dad pointed it at while we were at wal-mart one night...

It was a dual-jewel thing, came with FS1 and ST. At the time, the computer we had at home could barely run it. :lol:

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
You got one with the ST bundle?

Thats almost a collectors edition...
This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Wasn't there a similar thread not too long ago... one with much more detailed accounts IIRC...

:confused:

Would you rather have them bump that one? :p

Anyway, heres mine:

(again)

One day when I was in third grade or something, my older brother brought home some games he borrowed from his friends. IIRC, he brought HL:OP4, Fallout 1,2, Roller coaster tycoon, and Freespace 2. I played OP4 all the way through and spent a little while on Tycoon, but then I tried freespace. It was the best. I had it on two computers, and was playing it at different spots on both. Eventually on my computer that I have in my room, I got to the second to last mission, of course, I didn't know it was the second to last at the time, but then my brother had to give it back, so I was Freespaceless. Then my HD broke and had to get it formatted. Up until a bit over a year ago, I would off and on spend a few hours on the internet looking for it every few weeks. Then, one humble day, I stumbled across this place called 'The Freespace Oracle'. It pointed me to the HOTU, so I got that version. But then I had to format my HD again because it got a virus Roll Eyes . When I got the computer set up again, I got the HOTU again, but the FTP was down. It was then that I signed on to this forum for the first time, because I wanted to learn more about and join the modern FS community. So I finally decided a more ambitious method of procuring the game. This great person, Zman, had an FTP or something with the ISOs on it, but at the time I didn't know exactly how ISOs worked. I got it anyway, had some trouble mounting them and stuff, but eventually, with you're help, I finally got retail working. At my next birthday, after many failed expeditions into the SCP, I got a computer upgrade. I immediately got the SCP, and finally played with good graphics.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I've got the FS1/ST bundle too, and the FS2 3CD set.  But what got me hooked on the series in the first place was the demo that came with a random issue of PC Gamer I bought back when we first got a real computer.  It was jaw-droppingly gorgeous compared to anything else at the time, and the action was intense, and right up my alley as far as a combat sim goes.  I read the reviews on FS2 and knew I had to get it when it finally came out.  But yeah, PC Gamer is the reason I ever gave it a chance.  Their demo discs used to be so sweet...
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Freespace 1:  I used to play the original Descent demo (Destination:  Saturn) and was impressed by the cover to this game, which showed a GTD Orion with a to-scale fight right next to it.  I remember thinking the game was really cool, but it didn't run too well on my video card (Voodoo II Banshee with 16MB of RAM.  Stupid Banshees) which ruined the game a bit for me. 

About 6 months ago, I got a new computer and looked on Gamespot.com's list of Video games, and sorted them by highest rating.  Freespace 2 is in the top 10 video games they've rated in the past 9 years.  I had no idea sequel had even come out.  I went online to E-Bay and eventually managed to score a CD set for 25 bucks. 

Then I saw the Flail SCP movie on Youtube and I was like "waiiiit a second, this looks WAY better than my game" so I spent about 3 months attempting to figure out how to upgrade to the SCP.  This was right before Turey's installer or HuggyBaby's old step by step install process, so I went to a bunch of dead sites, bad links, and conflicting install info and got generally extraordinarily frustrated before getting it working.  In fact, I played through the entire FS2 campaign except for the last mission thinking it was SCP, but it actually wasn't because I didn't have any of the mediaVPS, I just had the features list checked in the launcher.   

What's really cool is that I've still only completed the original game, FS2, and most of Derelict.  I still haven't really touched Inferno, Awakenings, Silent Threat, JAD, Sync, Transcend, any of them.  I'm gonna be playing new FS2 stuff for at least the next year, it looks like. 

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
December 1997...there was an article on the old PC Gamer website.  Some of the first screen shots to come out. I was hooked...being previously a fan of TIE Fighter and Wing Commander (every version out for the PC).  The rest ...is history :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I remember thinking the game was really cool, but it didn't run too well on my video card (Voodoo II Banshee with 16MB of RAM.  Stupid Banshees) which ruined the game a bit for me.

I don't know what kind of setup you ran besides that, but Freespace ran great on my Diamond Monster Fusion Voodoo Banshee with 16mb, and all I had was a Pentium 200 with MMX and 64mb of ram.  It ran well for me on windows 98 and 2000.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays