Author Topic: Renders  (Read 4988 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Setekh

I'll have to agree, there. Unfortunately, as much as any of us disagrees with the supreme crappiness of the system, we can't do anything about it here. Maybe someday if we invent some super-duper render thingy, we'll release it for 10c a pop. Everyone'd use it. :D

I know! Let's release a simple test proggy! Setekh, you've got a beta, right? ;)
A bit more on-topic...
This is why the computer industry is an economic nightmare. It costs the companies like 20p to make a CD (factoring in program development costs and such) and they sell them for about £800 each. And then they ***** about the pirates 'ripping them off'.

Sure, loads of people have pirate software but with products like the above it's not as if any of those people would have bought them anyway so the companies lose nothing. yet they conitnue to ***** about loss of sales. Stupid, just stupid.

:rolleyes: I believe that's called a rationalization.
For those that have both 3DS Max 4 and Lightwave 7, which has a better rendering engine/modelling capabilities, in your opinion? So far it looks like Lightwave has a superior rendering engine, but that's based on their gallery compared to Freespace's cutscenes...
-C

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
On a side note, does anyone know what Volition used to make the FS/FS2 cutscenes? Those are probably the best I have ever seen...

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
As for the super-mega-ultra expensive ones like Maya, they're probably charging for the potential. I mean, if I could make a movie with My Super-Mega-Ultra Expensive Program that could make millions of dollars, I'd sell it for a lot of money too.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
All this talk of rendering progs and prices leads to talk of piracy and warez which always leads to

I sense his presence lurking nearby...:D
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
As for the super-mega-ultra expensive ones like Maya, they're probably charging for the potential. I mean, if I could make a movie with My Super-Mega-Ultra Expensive Program that could make millions of dollars, I'd sell it for a lot of money too.

Why don't they sell a version which does not give users the license to make money from their creations but does allow the material to be distributed for free? Sure, there would be people who would bypass the law and just sell their creations anyway, but that is quite easy even now with the w-word sites. (:D) Until prices for these things drop down to the prices of games (which take a lot more work and time to make), I for one will continue to get these programs through other means.

Offline JR2000Z

Um...is there any 3D rendering tools in the $50 range rather than TrueSpace1 (preferably something that I can get at Best Buy,Staples CompUSA...)?
I finally destoryed the Shivan armada and all I got was this lousy T shirt.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4

I'll have to agree, there. Unfortunately, as much as any of us disagrees with the supreme crappiness of the system, we can't do anything about it here. Maybe someday if we invent some super-duper render thingy, we'll release it for 10c a pop. Everyone'd use it. :D

There already is one. Lightwave.:p

Actually, mixed-media renders can go far beyond the potential even used by pros. With Carrara's lens flares and special effects, Lightwave's hypervoxels, etc. MAX's character studio plugin, and Ray Dream's modeling prowess, you can't go wrong. Except when it comes to HD space and polys.

JR: No. And "No" again.

RDS 5.0 is no longer sold and the company's bust, making it Abandonware, if not completely legit (furthermore, proof of ownership means a discount on Carrara:D ):D, but my Ray Dream/uploading comp's down and I'm sure some admin will disagree on the legitimacy of this, so... look elsewhere, but it's there.

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
You can get Maya for free now (legally).
I'll just quote it straight from the Relic BB
Dear friend,

The Maya Personal Learning Edition is now available for
download at:
www.aliaswavefront.com/freemaya.

Since we announced Maya Personal Learning Edition six
weeks ago, we have been inundated with requests by
people eagerly awaiting its release. We are
thrilled to now make our world-class 3D software
available to you for non-commercial use at no cost. The
CD will be available for order later in March.

Here are a couple of important details:

1. Maya Personal Learning Edition is available for the
following platforms:
-Windows NT, 2000 Professional, and XP
-Mac OS X
-Note: It is *NOT* available for Windows ME or other
earlier versions of Windows.

2. You may experience delays in downloading the
software. The demand for Maya Personal Learing Edition
has been huge. We have done our best to
optimize the delivery system, but if you do experience
delays, please bear with us and try again shortly.

When you sign-up for Maya Personal Learning Edition you
can also register for our web community resource center
at the same time. When you join, you'll
get FREE access to additional tutorials, discussion
forums, content exchanges, and other cool stuff like
free shaders, files, models etc. We highly encourage you
to join to further enrich your learning experience.

On behalf of everyone at Alias|Wavefront, we hope that
you enjoy your Maya Personal Learning Edition. Whether
you are new to 3D or an old pro, be prepared for a wild
and exciting ride.

--

Looks like all the major companies have realized that the best way to sell their products is to give them away free and build an installed user base.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
[looks at what Maya can do on Renderosity]

[recoils]

Er... wha? How much for the TrueSpace clone again?

Either every major user of Maya at one of the internet's largest render sites sucks at it, or something's fishy.

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
I though Maya was really good...am I wrong?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Well, perhaps it's a good modeler- it's nearly impossible to tell on pro sites. But it renders for ****, evidently.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Stryke 9
There already is one. Lightwave.:p

Hello? 10c a pop? :)

CP5670; better :D

Offline Razor

Hello? 10c a pop? :)

CP5670; better :D

Which rendering promramme are you using Setekh?

Oh and one more thing, when I want to open a file in truespace, it just opens a blue colored model. What's the problem? How can I open the model like it is in Freespace?

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
Originally posted by Stryke 9
Well, perhaps it's a good modeler- it's nearly impossible to tell on pro sites. But it renders for ****, evidently.

Yes, it's an incredible modeler, the rendering can't be that bad, considering it's been used to make the CGI in tons of films. Heck, even ILM uses mainly Maya.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Jabu

Yes, it's an incredible modeler, the rendering can't be that bad, considering it's been used to make the CGI in tons of films. Heck, even ILM uses mainly Maya.

Nah, ILM got their own software. And yeah, it seems Maya renderer is really crap, people who use it to model stuf must probably use a 3rd party renderer.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
Originally posted by Razor
Which rendering promramme are you using Setekh?

Oh and one more thing, when I want to open a file in truespace, it just opens a blue colored model. What's the problem? How can I open the model like it is in Freespace?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T ASK THAT QUESTION! :mad:
For the last time...
He uses a prog called SPIRIT which only runs on Linux and- go read the FAQ it tells it all!
http://www.3dap.com/hlp/faq/

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Someone needs to implement a really good rendering engine into Mathematica. That would make the ultimate 3D program. ;)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Corsair

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T ASK THAT QUESTION! :mad:
For the last time...
He uses a prog called SPIRIT which only runs on Linux and- go read the FAQ it tells it all!
http://www.3dap.com/hlp/faq/

Oh, and CP, great idea. You know, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult...