Author Topic: Screen stretched out on Windows 8.1 when playing  (Read 3767 times)

Offline CT27

Screen stretched out on Windows 8.1 when playing
On my Windows 7 computer, when playing FS mods the screen has been condensed (black bars on the side of the pilot select screen and in the ship halls).  I was told that this is relatively normal and it happened after a certain build was released.

However, when I tested out FS and some mods on another family computer (this one running Windows 8.1), the pilot select screens and menu/ship hall screens filled the whole screen. 

For both I was using a 3.7.3 nightly build.  I also don't know if this would make a difference, but on the 8.1 computer I put my FS2 folder in a drive other than "C". 

Does playing on a different OS change the way FS and mods are displayed?  Also, if this isn't the proper forum, could a mod move it please?

Offline Yarn

Re: Screen stretched out on Windows 8.1 when playing
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post. Do this using the Windows 8.1 machine.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline CT27

I'll do that in a couple days or so.  For what it's worth I was playing Blue Planet.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Most likely explanation (assuming you didn't have -stretch_menu enabled) is that FSO was running in a 4:3 resolution and the stretching was therefore caused by the monitor, not FSO.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CT27

If it helps, here's the log.

I tried it on a couple other campaigns on my 8.1 machine and didn't get black bars on the side of the screen either.  It also seemed like text was bigger in game, whereas on my 7 machine, going to mediavps2014 made hud stuff in gameplay look smaller.

[attachment deleted by nobody]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Code: [Select]
Initializing OpenGL graphics device at 1024x768 with 32-bit color...
As I said.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CT27

I looked in my wxlauncher window and I had video resolution set to something that wasn't 4:3 though.

Also, what is the correct ratio I should be looking for?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I looked in my wxlauncher window and I had video resolution set to something that wasn't 4:3 though.
Do you have 0.10.1 or 0.10.0? 0.10.0 was setting the wrong registry values (and resolution is one of those values that's read from the registry).

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Yarn

Yeah, I had a feeling that you were running in 1024x768 and that the display was being stretched.

Do make sure that you're using wxLauncher 0.10.1 and not 0.10.0, or else you won't be able to change the resolution from 1024x768.

Also, what is the correct ratio I should be looking for?
Using your monitor's native resolution should be sufficient. If you need to reduce the resolution for some reason, pick one whose aspect ratio matches that of your monitor's native resolution. Keep in mind, though, that wxLauncher doesn't place almost-16:9 resolutions like 1366x768 in the 16:9 section, even though they're practically 16:9.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline CT27

AdmiralRalwood:  On my Windows 7 machine that was performing normally I had the newest wxlauncher (.10.1) and I just realized I was using an older wxlauncher on my 8.1 machine (the one having these issues).  I think my W 8.1 machine was using .94...the main release before .10 IIRC

Yarn:  I don't know if this matters or not, but for the 8.1 the monitor wasn't a dedicated computer monitor.  The monitor for that one was a 'Spectre' monitor that had a number of plugins in the back and you have to use a remote to select the source you want to use (TV/AV/HDMI1/HDMI2/PC).

Offline CT27

I updated wxlauncher  on my W 8.1 machine to the newest version (.10.1) and I still have the stretched menu/intro screens and the 'bigger hud' items in MediaVPs 2014.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hrm, maybe that "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" option in compatibility needs to be selected?  (The FSO .exe, not wxLauncher).

Offline CT27

How do I do that?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Right-click FSO .exe > Properties > Compatibility > click 'disable display scaling on high DPI settings' checkbox

Offline Yarn

I'm almost certain that the problem is FSO playing in 1024x768 resolution, not high DPI.

CT27, can you verify that wxLauncher is remembering the resolution setting on the Windows 8.1 machine? If it is, and the display is still stretched, can you post another log (from the same machine)?
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline CT27

I'll try that when I can get to my 8.1 machine again. 

Last time I tried it with the current version of the wxlauncher (.10.1) the screen was still stretched out even when I tried to change the ratio in wxlauncher.  It's almost like the TV I use (that I have the 8.1 machine hooked to) wants to change the screen for gaming.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
You use a TV?  Check to be sure it isn't set to fill the screen by stretching as well if it's not a perfect 16:9

Offline CT27

The TV I use for my W8.1 machine is a Sceptre if that makes a difference.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
What's the model number?

Offline CT27

I'll see if I can dig up the model number later, but a piece of info for now:  on the front of the tv on the top left corner it says "LED TV".