Author Topic: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.  (Read 101877 times)

Re: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.
Can the Hecate or other destroyer classes or above survive such attacks?
No idea what you are talking about, but I'm gonna go with "yes".

"Hugeship" flag?

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
I'm unable to destroy the first enemy ship (NTD Uhuru) in The King's Gambit. It jumps out extremely quickly, and (as Joshua stated), the Mjolnirs miss their shots completely.

I tried ordering my allies to disable it and to destroy it. Neither attempt changed the results. I bombed the engines and TAGged the Destroyer. None of these attempts changed the result.

The ship arrives at 0:10, and leaves at 01:13. 1 minute is far too little time to take down an Orion with blind Mjolnirs.

(I'm playing on Normal Difficulty)

edit: I might have talked too early. I tried a loadout with Stilettos and just barely managed to disable it before it left. The Deimos afterwards was a bit difficult but manageable (because I needed to rearm, so some time was lost)

edit 2: Still find it too difficult to kill it regardless.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 09:11:37 am by Kiloku »
Potato!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The Mjolnirs in that mission have actually always (afaict) been blind, firing on fixed axes.

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Even with the fixed axes, shouldn't they wait until the target is within their line of fire, rather than just shooting at nothing before its subspace portal has even finished opening?

(Unsure if they miss in the same way in Retail)
Potato!

I think the AI just checks (citation needed) the turret's field of view as it would any other weapon, meaning that no matter how tight it is, it's never going to be a straight line of fire.

My gut feeling is that it's been like this since retail.

Offline Kolgena

I'm unable to destroy the first enemy ship (NTD Uhuru) in The King's Gambit. It jumps out extremely quickly, and (as Joshua stated), the Mjolnirs miss their shots completely.

I tried ordering my allies to disable it and to destroy it. Neither attempt changed the results. I bombed the engines and TAGged the Destroyer. None of these attempts changed the result.

The ship arrives at 0:10, and leaves at 01:13. 1 minute is far too little time to take down an Orion with blind Mjolnirs.

(I'm playing on Normal Difficulty)

edit: I might have talked too early. I tried a loadout with Stilettos and just barely managed to disable it before it left. The Deimos afterwards was a bit difficult but manageable (because I needed to rearm, so some time was lost)

edit 2: Still find it too difficult to kill it regardless.

I'm finding the same. If you don't disable it, even the damage output on insane is insufficient to kill it at all. Most of the time it still jumps out before you can disable. Whatever's up with that mission, the behavior is definitely different from retail, or even the MVPs a few years back.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The Mjolnirs fire before the Uhuru even hits their field of fire. That's what's different. The timing is way off.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Why don't the Mjolnirs track their target even while firing their beams?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Why don't the Mjolnirs track their target even while firing their beams?

Have you not seen beams firing in FreeSpace? Non-slash beams don't move when firing.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
IIRC, even a slash beam's targeting solution is based on a snap-shot of a target ship when the beam fires.  It doesn't constantly recalculate as the target moves.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
A fixed beam? What about beams which recalculate as the target moves?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Type 3 beams (AAA) may recalculate between shots, but I don't know for sure.

Offline CT27

I've only ever seen a Mjolnir stay in place and fire in a straight line.

Can a Mjolnir be made so that it can at least turn to point at a target?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Maybe by hacking it such that the entire model is a turret, attached to an invisible & nocollide ship?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Solatar

I've only ever seen a Mjolnir stay in place and fire in a straight line.

Can a Mjolnir be made so that it can at least turn to point at a target?

The Mjolnir beam only fires along the firing normal of the Mjolnir cannon, so only straight forward. It's the only beam cannon in FS2 that does this; but replacing it with any other beam (Or even Mjolnir#home) will make the beam aim before it fires. Unless somebody's fixed the orientation of the model in game, having it "point to" an object causes one of the sides to point towards the object, not the front end of the gun.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
There's been at least two versions of the Mjolnir where the model has been rotated so the main weapon faces forwards.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Maybe by hacking it such that the entire model is a turret, attached to an invisible & nocollide ship?

Couldn't you just give it rotation times but no speed?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Dunno, I'm not sure if the AI will aim the ship towards the target when it has no speed. Although I guess it'd be pretty easy to give it fighter AI and change the speed/rotation appropriately, probably easier that messing with the model to make it act more like a sentry gun with turrets (which is where my original idea came from)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Making the Mjolnirs actually aim would probably be retail-breaking and just odd, though. The in-game, Mjolnirs are supposed to be static beam sentries that fire on ships emerging from the node.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I've worked with front-oriented Mjolnirs, and given turn time and very low movement speed, it will orient towards its target.  FS:B could add one into the tables and call it Mjolnir#front and have them in that mission, but when you consider how powerful the non-aiming Mjolnir beam is, it could break balance for that mission considerably.