Author Topic: Graphics question  (Read 3730 times)

Offline CT27

Thanks for the info.

Something else I've heard about lately is liquid cooling (Dell offers a liquid cooling system upgrade on certain computers for $100).  Is that a good thing for a moderate gamer like I anticipate myself being?  From what I've heard, it reduces noise from normal cooling but there's also a danger of leaking.

Probably not worth it. It's probably an AIO for just the CPU which won't help with the noise from the graphics card and case fans when they're under heavy load. It won't help much with noise and with a Ryzen CPU you'll hit silicon limits way before you hit thermal limits with just a basic air cooler.
So it won't help with performance and the noise difference will be minimal since you already have relatively noisy graphics card and case fans.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Liquid cooling? Nah. Ryzen CPUs are very cool (i think 1400 has 65W TDP and 1700X 85? can't remember) and they will definitely work just fine with a stock air cooler, you could even overclock it pretty high.

I'm just wondering what kind of motherboard and PSU is going to be placed there. I mean, typical consumer grade, or these cut down, propertiary Dell devices...

By the way, looking at PC Part Picker, I was able to build a nearly identical (6GB GTX 1060 instead of RX 570, proper motherboard and a bit faster RAM) PC, but for $750... I just want to ask anyone to confirm it, I may have missed something.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Good luck trying to find a GTX 1060 anywhere, let alone for standard retail price. Stock usually gets depleted in literally minutes after restocking.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Alright, I got a little bit confused, but I still see 1060's with a price which will make this setup $770 - $790... A small, single-fan one, Gigabyte, MSI...

"In stock. Limit 1 per consumer."
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.