Author Topic: HLP Productions Presents: FTL!  (Read 35638 times)

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
HLP Productions Presents: FTL!
By popular demand, HLP Productions presents this Let’s Play series of FTL!

Be a redshirt!  Join the Federation in their fight against the evil rebels!  Boldly go where every other kickstarter has gone before!  Meet new lifeforms, and then, get shot up by them, because this game is really really hard.

I’ll let you guys fight among yourselves to determine who gets to be the captain and who gets to be the weapons officer.  :D

Other potential roles in the ship include:
Chief Engineer
Shield Engineer
Damage Control
Security Team

The ship’s crew is selected out of six alien races:
Humans:  Common and uninteresting.  Lack of specific weaknesses is quite useful when things inevitably go horribly wrong.
Engi: Grey-skinned, biomechanical beings who dislike violence and make natural engineers.  They are great at fixing stuff, but are poorly suited for hand-to-hand combat.
Zoltan:  Green-skinned humanoids that can help power ship systems with their strong bioelectric field.  They tend to be rather fragile.
Mantis: Aggressive insectoids that are great at hand-to-hand combat.  Their limbs are poorly suited to using repair tools.
Rockman: Silicon-based lifeforms that are very durable and highly resilient to intense heat, but clumsy and slow.
Slugs: Telepathic invertebrate that are great to have when sensors are not functioning.  They tend to get goop all over the ship.

Most ships start out with four redshirts.  You can get replacement redshirts as you go along towards a maximum of eight.  The starting composition of your crew is determined by what ship you start out in.

Mission 1 - UEF Indus - Type A Federation Cruiser, Medium Difficulty
Fate:  Destroyed by an Auto-Assault within an asteroid belt.
KIA - Scotty (Went down with the ship)
KIA - SpardaSon (Died within a raging inferno in Sector 2)
KIA -  Headdie (Killed by a mutant space virus in Sector 1)
KIA - Z64555 (Went down with the ship)
KIA - Dekker (Went down with the ship)

Mission 2 - Type A Kestrel Cruiser, Easy Difficulty
Ship Name Pending
Crew Pending
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:38:53 pm by Alex Heartnet »

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Re: HLP Productions Presents: FTL!
Welcome, redshirts, to the Federation Space Dock!  Here you get to choose exactly which class of ship you get to die in!  To start out with, you get a choice between the Federation Cruiser and the Outdated Federation Cruiser.

There are a few other ship classes within the hangar, but why should we trust you redshirts with them?

First, the modern cruiser.  Complete with Artillery Beam.  Drone systems sold separately.  Starts out with four redshirts – a Human, an Engi, a Mantis, and a Rockman.

And the outdated one, which only comes with three human redshirts.

I dunno, guys, what should we call the ship?  Enterprise?  Serenity?  Theseus?  Indus?

(also, do I need to make the screenshots bigger?  :o )
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 07:17:08 pm by Alex Heartnet »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Name it Qwaar-Jet, for the Taiidan God of War. Homeworld references best references.

Sign me up for... whatever really, that isn't human.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
stick me in a red shirt so you cant see the blood and put me on repair and fire fighting duty
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'll sign up as an Engi, 'cause repairing stuff is what keeps the ships moving.  :yes:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
We really ought to name it after a destroyer.

Bastion?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Since it has a giant beam laser in the front that pierces shields, Atreus.  Of course, that means we'll need the very best crew.

I volunteer for security detail, complete with red uniform.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Volunteering for either security detail or damage control, whichever gets me killed faster in the service of glorious message board.

Also, I suggest Indus for the ship title, seeing as the crew is not granted a quick death, but is rather forced to boil alive while they fall ever so slowly into the sun (until Fedayeen, but shush).
Knowing how these tend to work out, we'll probably be hoping for an end like that.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Volunteering for either security detail or damage control, whichever gets me killed faster in the service of glorious message board.

Also, I suggest Indus for the ship title, seeing as the crew is not granted a quick death, but is rather forced to boil alive while they fall ever so slowly into the sun (until Fedayeen, but shush).
Knowing how these tend to work out, we'll probably be hoping for an end like that.
That's also why I suggested Serenity as a ship name.  It's a journey where you get slowly picked apart.

And yes, it is actually possible to die that way ingame!  You'll see when we inevitably jump too close to a star.

Also, I would of thought you guys would be fighting each other for the position of captain or gunnery officer.  C'mon, guys!

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Also, I would of thought you guys would be fighting each other for the position of captain or gunnery officer.  C'mon, guys!

Now you and I both know there's only one man for either: Scotty.  :yes:
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Hard Light Productions Productions? :nervous:

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Thog roll up character.

I'd like to be an engineering ossifer, possibly with a bad northern accent and a finger or two missing.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I had wanted to be in Engineering, because of the obvious reference, but I suppose my superior experience and time spent piloting various ships in the various LPs around here would qualify me for Captain. :P

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
is there beer, specifically bosch brand?
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
The Crew of the Indus was promised a top-of-the-line starship.

Instead they get a complete piece of junk.  Engines, shields, sensors, reactors, and even the life support system is stupidly underpowered.  The much-vaunted “Artillery Beam” is a tiny peashooter hooked up to a huge capacitor and a ridiculous amount of electrical wires.  The hangar bay lacks any kind of equipment whatsoever.  There is only one workable weapon on the ship, the med bay consists of first aid kit and a few bandages, and the sliding doors keep getting stuck.

With our luck, the entire NTF armada will show up any minute now...

All crewmembers move to their assigned positions.  Scotty, being captain, gets to take the helm.  Headdie gets to work on the engine array, while SpardaSon wrestles with the shield system in a vain attempt to have a coherent energy bubble around the ship.  Z64555 finds that the main gun at least is functioning, and fires in three-round bursts.

Scotty brings up the Nav computer and plots a course.

The crew emerges from subspace to find a pirate that is even worse off.  A warning shot is all it takes to grab the pirate’s attention.

The ships exchange laser fire.  The pirate fires a pair of lasers at the Indus.  The first hit shatters the Indus’ shields, but the second shot misses wide.  The pirate gets hit with two laser blasts out of three for his trouble.

Despite a direct hit to the weapons grid, the pirate still has both of his basic lasers online.

A second laser volley knocks the pirate’s weapons completely offline.  The pirate responds by warming up FTL drives.

A laser volley is aimed at the bridge in order to prevent this.

Direct hit!

One final salvo is enough to finish the job.

After requesting a damage report, Scotty sets course for a random system.

Detecting the Indus’ jump signature, a rebel fighter plots an intercept course.  The Indus finds itself unable to evade with its underpowered drive system.

The ships exchange laser fire.  The rebel opens fire with a high-powered mining beam, which cuts through the hull and passes through the engine room, before splitting one of the bridge computer systems in two.

Scotty manages to get the computer systems functional enough to note that the mining beam by itself cannot pierce shields.  Laser cannons can, but that last hit took out the only laser cannon on the rebel fighter.

Meanwhile, the overglorified peashooter on the ship starts to emit sparks and arcs of lightning…

One laser burst later, the rebel ship surrenders.

But at this point, the artillery peashooter looks like it is about to explode!  Z64555 tries to shut it down, but the weapon won’t respond.

The artillery gun spits out a huge beam of energy that cuts straight through shields and ship reactors alike.  Disappointingly, destroying the rebel fighter yielded less resources then letting it surrender.

With a sigh, the captain sets course for the next system.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Well... at least we know the peashooter works.  :nono:

Now to figure out what's up with that blasted fire control system.
chief1983

------------

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
So, no room for Damar, eh?

Fine, fly your pitiful little ship without me. My Keldon-class is better any day.  :nono:

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
yay i'm not dead yet
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Patiance... new crew positions will open. and I call dibs on a human...whatever.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

I eagerly await my assignment.

Also, from the steam store page.

If we survive long enough to purchase that ship, Carl needs to come out of retirement.