Author Topic: HLP Productions Presents: FTL!  (Read 35626 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: HLP Productions Presents: FTL!
With NGTM-1R at the guns, I'd like to sign up for enginering work (either shields or engines, though I prefer engines)

ps. In my own games I'm slowly getting the hang of boarding - high risk but high reward...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Signing up to man the guns on our glorious Kestrel. Though really, it ought to be "weapons".
What?  You aren't going to be the captain of the Rebel Flagship this time?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Playing the adversary is only fun when they take an active role in the story as whole.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

Playing the adversary is only fun when they take an active role in the story as whole.

Hey, I tried. Get on Sparda's and headie's case... that's probably why they died to early.  :lol:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Please confirm crew assignments and ship name:

Type A Kestrel Cruiser on Easy, with a player that can make it to the endgame consistently with this setup.

Offline 0rph3u5

Engineer reporting for duty!

Crew Log
GTD Bastion
Current Location: Federation Base

This ship! It looks like its been put together by monkeys!
It's engine is seriously underpowered but at least all the doors will open.

However it beats taking on the Rebels in any other rustbuckets they have here - and I'm not made for those last stands. I hope both the Captain and Weapons Officer agree with me on a 'no last stands'-policy, otherwise this could become a very short trip of them getting me killed.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:40:06 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Log, NGTM1R "Weps", GTD Bastion

Not happy they pulled me off a heavy cruiser for this assignment, but oh well. The Fed says go, I go. Scuttlebutt says this mission is change-the-war important.

If so, I sincerely hope they didn't refurbish this Kessie straight from the boneyard for it. Ship is in good material shape from what I can see, for a Kessie. The design has a notoriously weak weapons grid. I wanted to requisition another burst laser and mount it but there just isn't time to do the rewiring it'd take before we launch; we'll have to go with an Artemis launcher and hope we can keep it in ammo from field resupply.

It worries me we have three crew for a ship that is designed with at least four in mind. Are things that bad?

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
When life gives you lemons, take those lemons and showe them down lifes throat.

I just modded the game to facilite better scrap income and an improved starting ship. (2x burst laser III's niggaz!)
Kobayashi Maru indeed.
And how do you do such things?

ftldat.exe packer/unpacker.... can unpack the .dat file. All ships data is in xml/text files

If you want the .dat file I modded, go here:
http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34923&start=15   the file is attached ot one of the posts.

Ironicly enough, it still wasn't enough to beat the boss...
The second battle with the flagship lasted forever..I had fully upgraded shields but realy bad luck. Couldn't bring their drone systems off-line (despite two blasters, a Ion gun and a missile luancher). I even had cloack and decently upgraded engines, and the frakker still kept hitting my weapons.
In the end I teleported an assault team, and it was actually going very well....but it was too late, my ship blew up.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:39:27 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Oh, put me up as shield/security officer... or captain.

I'd reccomed you start a game with increased crew numbers (yes, it's a mod...yes, I can put it up)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:42:02 am by TrashMan »

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Oh, put me up as shield/security officer... or captain.

I'd reccomed you start a game with increased crew numbers (yes, it's a mod...yes, I can put it up)

I can haz please?    The current run is meant as a legit win so I can demostrate that the final boss is, in fact, beatable.  However, this will come in handy if I do a third playthrough...

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You want everything else but crew numbers vanilla?
How much crew you want?

Specifiy changes and I'll make them.

Or you can do it yourself:
https://github.com/bwesterb/ftldat

It's easy. (blueprints.xlm file is what you want. It specifies all ships and equipmetn stats)

Note that I couldn't find starting credits anywhere. But you can edit the scrap collection arm to be more efficient. I have mine at 50%  MUHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
I -only- want to be able to modify and rename the ship's starting crew, for the purposes of having everyone who wants to be a crewmember at start.  If I do a third playthrough, could I get you to modify the starting crew for me?  Thanks.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Captains Log,
TrashMan, the Him on this ship, the God-Captain of Mankind
GTD Bastion

I asked for a ship and I got one. Not much to look at and completely beneath me, but it will have to do I guess.
With some time I'll make a respectable warship out of this. My "crew" consists of only two people.
And they really intrust such an important mission to an underequipped, undergunned, undermanned ship?
Command has been smoking space weed again.
I should have joined the NTF...

Oh well, into the Melestrom of battle. Release the farts of war!

EDIT:

I read FreeSpace insted of FireSpawn.... DERPDUH!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:49:53 am by TrashMan »

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Once again, our brave suicidal heroes set off into the great unknown!

Sector 1 layout is a tad iffy.

This early in the game, I am inclined to take more risks then I otherwise would.

As Sector 1 on this difficulty is pretty easy, I am going to just not show the actual combat unless I run into something abnormally dangerous.

Like, for example, this encounter.    A Heavy Laser, a Leto Missile, AND a Beam Drone.  Good grief.  Better hope the shields hold, or we could take a lot of damage very quickly.

Okay, why is the crew not at their stations.  FireSpawn, you take the helm.  NGMT-1R, shoot out the assault ship’s weapons so it doesn’t tear us to shreads.  Orpheus, manage the engine output so our shields don’t get knocked out by that missile launcher.

The Bastion somehow manages to not get hit at all during the opening salvo.

Now, Sector 1 being what it is, I was planning on conserving my missiles and only using them when needed.  This is a situation where they are needed.

The Burst Laser manages to take out the drone control, but the missile quite simply failed to connect with its intended target.

A heavy laser impacted our shields, but thankfully the beam drone is no longer functioning.

A missile just impacted the starboard exhaust port.  Contrary to what one might be in the holovids, shooting the big cylinder thingies on the back of starships does not actually cause any significant harm to the engine array.  Anything made to have hot plasma passing through it can’t help but resist weapons fire.

Arm the burst laser!  Target the weapons grid!

If that robot is trying to disable our ship, it’s doing it wrong.  Whomever programmed the thing is an idiot.  At least with its weapons down we should have no more problems destroying it.

All things considered, this could have gone worse.  A lot worse.

As to be expected, such a well-armed robot was guarding something actually worthwhile.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I -only- want to be able to modify and rename the ship's starting crew, for the purposes of having everyone who wants to be a crewmember at start.  If I do a third playthrough, could I get you to modify the starting crew for me?  Thanks.

That's easy. It's just a single number in the blueprints.xlm. You can even set specific crew race (the Fed Cruiser entry shows how) if you want.
However, I never tried putting more than 4 starting crew members.
Don't know if it will work.

I'm at work ATM, so I won't be able to make the file now.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Log, NGTM1R "Weps", GTD Bastion

For all the great technical achievement that the Reb AIs are, they're almost never a match for a human gunner when it comes to placing their shots. I've heard it said they place according to inscrutable AI logic. This is an insult to really inscrutable sorts, like Rockmen. The AI shot placement isn't logical at all.

The reverse is not true. Normal procedure would be to target the shields with a missile and clean up with the laser, but in this case the Beam Drone was actually the most dangerous weapon aboard the AI ship, so that had to go first. After that knocking out the weapons and then finishing with laser fire was relatively easy without needing to target the shields. At such a low strength, a shield really offers no meaningful protection from a Mark II Burst Laser. At least one shot will make contact with the hull.

A Feddie Story

Offline 0rph3u5

Crew Log #2
GTD Bastion
Current Location: Civilian Sector 01

This is going to be *interesting*.
First we have the mission brief during a FTL jump, allowing an automaton ship to catch us off guard, and then the Weapons Officer mistakes the shield controls with the gunnery station. Didn't stop him from shooting all guns via remote control.

Automaton ship was defeated but knocked some dents in the hull plating - who ever programmed that AI's targeting program didn't make a good enough job on the I-part in AI.

Still musing over the salvage ... looks good but some components clearly are missing before I use some of this tech.

==================

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Captain's Log: Stardate....Ah who the hell cares! This is most likely going to be a one way trip for some (read: all) of the crew on board, myself included.

As the last surviving member of the now nonexistant (along with pretty much every other one) 4th Defensive Fleet I expected that I would have got a medal, or at least a ship that was put together properly! I mean seriously! I just checked the helm control, and found that the ship computer was held together with duct-tape, gum and poker chips.....We are so dead.

Captain's Log: Post battle report

Well, that was lucky. Very bloody lucky. Next to no damage, from an obviously better equipped ship? Either some cosmic superbeing is watching over us, us something is about to go very badly in the near future.
As a matter of protocall I performed a check of the crew with the ship systems and and found that after all is said and done, and providing that I'm still alive, I will have to find the lazy nerf herder who programed this bucket of bolts!
Seriously, "FireSpa"!? It sounds like a bloody holiday resort for the Rocks!
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
For the record,

I want in on EVERY mission occurring in this topic :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline crizza

this ftldat.exe thing is too complicated for me right now^^