Author Topic: HELP a fresh FS noob install this mess plz.  (Read 7737 times)

Offline Zeke

HELP a fresh FS noob install this mess plz.
Lightspeed said-
"Time to go install ! "

That's what I said when the urinal broke, heh. Woot, nice link tho. I was just lookin at the part showing old vs new planets. WOW! I gotta do the FSO thing, fer sure. Thx.

And aye Kasp, I'm on it. Thx.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 08:03:01 pm by 1713 »

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Sticks
Steak!

Where you been, foo?

Uhh... right here? :nervous:

Can I do something for ya? :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Zeke

Yehaw! Ole Zeke's got FSO installed and running now! Sorta anyway. It does weird things and wont lemme use my old pilot. I tried to set it up first the separate method, JIC I wanted to go back to regular game. That didn't work so I did it the regular way, letting the VP files over-ride the ones in my main folder. I finally got that to work, but the newest launcher tells me it don't recognize a bunch of the flags I checked or entered into the custom area. -t32, -dshowvid, -spec, -glow. It gives me the message for each TWICE, then starts up with the 3.5.6c screen. The debug spew says something about cant get handle for the monochrome display or something. It then lets me play ok, as long as I use a new pilot. But wouldn't play the cutscenes or let me view them in the tech room. (the intro movie). So I installed the DivX codec (bah that things gone commercial since it first came out) and now the intro plays when I start the game but wont play if I select it in the tech room. Doesnt crash me, just says it cant play it. I dunno if it matters that it wont use the flags I picked. Does it? I'm running it in DirectX mode with Windoze 98SE. (I tried OpenGL but that was a disaster. ) So there I am. Other flags I pick seem to work fine, like -fps, -jpgtga, -pcx 32, -d3dmipmap, -cell, and -fov 0.45.  One thing i just now noticed is the startup screen sez 3.5.6c, but on the bottom of the flight deck screen it says 3.5.5 dbg d3d ht&l. I did not think i was running the debug version. The zip I downloaded had 2 versions. 01_20_2004_fs2_open_d.exe, and 01_20_2004_fs2_open_r.exe. I picked the d one cos I guess it's supposed to be newer, stuck it in my main freespace folder and pointed the launcher at it. Anyway that's where I am, if anyone has any ideas plaz lemme know. I don't think the wiki info or install threads are quite as clear as they prolly seem to u guys, with respect. I seem to be playable tho for now, and I love the planet glows! I sure wish I could ditch the nasty font prob tho. I have an Athlon xp2000+ with 512 Megs, and GeForce ti4200 128, Win 98se. Thx guys.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The ones it won't recognise are ones that are from much older builds so I wouldn't worry about them (except for -glow and -spec which are for newer builds).  If the -t32 option was a tickbox in the launcher you don't have the most recent version have a look for a post by random tiger or find the latest version of everything thread and download a more recent version.

I find 01_20 to be the most stable and bug free of the more recent builds so it's a pretty good choice for the time being in my eyes. The d build is indeed the debug build though. _r is the non debug build.

The start screen names the Media.vp build not the FS2_open build so they should be different.

Most of this stuff is good to hear as I can use it to make the wiki clearer. If you have any other suggestions be sure to point them out.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Zeke

Wow what a fast response! How refreshing! And one reason I'm so enthusiastic about being part of this community.

The -t32 was a custom entry. I got all my stuff from the "latest versions" link on this page  Using 4.0 launcher. So you say the -glow and -spec should be working? Mebbe they are and the launcher just says they aren't??? If not, how can I enable them? And why is the launcher telling me twice that it can't use them?  And I dunno why the fonts still look nasty around the edges, I have the box checked for "fix geforce font problem".

The effects improvements I added, from the latest version page are-

media VP
Hi-res tga
Bobboau-Lightspeed Thruster Hybrids

I'm waiting for more work on the high-poly models before i download those.

Most of my install confusion is about the specific paths for files. I assumed the FSO exe goes in the main Freespace folder. But one place you refer to putting "individual files" (as opposed to VP files) in the a data folder. Especially refering to the separate FSO install, if I remember. Freespace2/My FSO Folder Name/Data. I assume you mean like the high-res planet TGA's? And file for the movies, "FreeSpace2.fc2"? But don't you also have to make sb-folders for your new data folder, for a separate install, like the retail install has the folders listed? Like "missions" for the FreeSpace2.fc2? Or the effects sub-folder for the thrusterglow files?. I went ahead with the typical install tho, to get it working fast, and used the folder heirarchy already there, tho it would be no big deal to cut and paste all the data sub-folders to my new data folder. But I wasn't clear how the game would know where my separate-install data folder is located, unless i run the FS0 exe when its located in my CUSTOM NAME folder within the main freespace folder? (Freespace2/My FSO Folder Name) But how would I, when then FS0 exe has to be in the same folder as my retail freespace exe?

Am I making sense here? I hope so. But you guys are programmers, so are prolly used to confusion heh. I haven't studied any programming for over 20 years, when I did Microsoft Basic, and some unix, cobol, and fortran for electronics school. (like I remember any of it now, LOL!) I remember programming my VIC-20 with POKE and PEEK commands, ROTF. Thought ya might get a good laugh from that. :p
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 05:58:53 pm by 1713 »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
If you're using the 2004_01_20 builds, spec and glow are activated by default, so you won't need the flags to activate them.  The only builds that need them are Bob's test builds... so far AFAIK.  You don't need to bother with the -t32, as this was changed to -jpgtga back in December.

As far as stuff in the mediaVP is concerned, you might as well leave it in there, as it will still work there, unless you've got other files by those names in their destination directory, such as the new planet packs, thrusters, nebula backgrounds, weapons, or anything else you've installed.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Zeke

Thank you Triv!!!! That sure explains alot. I wondered WTF, cos it looks like glow and spec is being used in the game ok, regardless of what the launcher led me to believe. I have ship windows that glow yay! That sure adds alot to the game realism! Some good info here. Mebbe I missed it in the wiki somewhere. There's so much to absorb and remember heh.

Other notes from re-playing the first several missions just now-

I MUST have been using the debug version! The debug spew stuff, and the mem usage info on my play screen... (even tho I didnt have that checked. Weird.) So I hooked up the "r" version of the exe and it got rid of the debug screen AND mem usage stuff, which was just in my way anyhow. Cool! I read on the wiki somewhere that the "d" version was just a newer version than a later alphabet letter, like "r". That's why I had it running. Mebbe I just misunderstood.

Another note, not so much a whine as an observation- Now that I'm all fancied up purty in the game, I can't run all the details maxxed like I could with the retail version, without getting bad stutter. LOL! Be careful what ya ask for huh? :) I prolly could if I hadn't had to use SDRAM instead of DDR when I built my puter bah. But even with details turned down some, it still looks great, and only stutters a little. With the retail version, I was feeling sorta god-like with my athlon 2000+ and Geforce 4 heh. But I'm having fun. Thx to you guys for the great tech support here getting me up to snuff. That kinda thing means alot to me, and is way manly of you all. I put -value- in it. I be in touch again soon. I PLAY NOW YAY!!!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
When I said newer versions used the -glow and -spec tags I meant newer ones than the one you're using :D

There may be some pages in the Wiki that are a little older that the one I wrote (The one you linked to) so I wouldn't be suprised if there is some out of date info in the wiki. When I see it I correct it :)

As for the stutter is it constant or is it a case that the first time you look at a ship after it jumps in it stutters for a second and then goes back to being smooth? The latter is a problem with FS2_Open rather than your machine.

I think it might be an idea to add a FAQ style troubleshooting section to the install guide rather than cluttering it up with things like this.

Offline Zeke

Well, my 2004_01_20 build seems to be using the -glow, -spec, and -t32 tags ok by itself after I unchecked them from the launcher, and erased -t32 from custom field. Trivial Psychic said it uses glow and spec by default, no? Mebbe he meant they were checked on by default. I dunno. I like 1-20, seems stable like you say. It had checkbox for -jpgtga so Im good with that instead of custom tag -t32. I have launcher 4.0 BTW, in case I didnt mention it before.

Also, the game does mainly stutter when a new ship jumps in, aye. Then smooths out. Glad to know my box doesnt suck as much as I thought heh.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 03:31:13 pm by 1713 »

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Heh, awesome, you're pretty much there Zeke. :) (My box stutters all the time, unless I ramp down the detail levels. Things are sounding pretty sweet over there.) ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
-glow and -spec were added to builds after 20th Jan because all the other additions need a flag to turn them on and it seems more logical to follow the same rule for glow and spec.

Before 20th Jan -glow and -spec were indeed on automatically.

Offline Zeke

Ok here's a lil update on how ole Zeke is doing in the worlds of Freebase 2, as I'm now calling it- (Ok- FBO heh)

Tho I haven't had much time to play, I managed to get almost 3/4 of the way thru the main campaign tonight. WOOHOO! What fun! I been hitting the rebels and Shivans with so many Hornets they is -beggin' me- for a Harpoon! Heh. Few tech probs, gladly. Mainly just have to get it started right. Usually it doesn't do anything, but shows up in my task manager anyway. I close it there and retry and it usually starts ok the next attempt. FSO sure is purty, I wish I had more time to buzz around and look at stuff a-fore I hafta blow it up real good. How Dada.

Oh, and a MINOR SPOILER below in the unlikely event somebody besides ole space cowboy Zeke ain't played it thru yet-

After doing a few missions with them Vasudan fellers, I took a break and upon going back to the flight deck, WHOA! WTF is this!? A surprise for the eyes! How purty! Some good lookin stuff goin' on thar, on that new alien-critter flight deck! Especially with that thar transluscent thang happenin'! Is that FSO or from the vanilla version? Anyways, it's purty dang neat, and my horse Hidalgore likes it too! Yup.

So, I'm havin' a good ole time and all. Kinda frustratin' sometimes trying to target them dadgum big-ship turrets and such when they is all re-cessed away and the ship they on is truckin on to beat the band. Wish there was a way to turn and strafe without changin' the direction I'm scootin'. B5:IFH sorta did that, when I tried it out, but not proper. But enuff of my ramblin. Jes wanted to drop in and say howdy and let yall know how thangs was goin'. I 'precciate all yall's help and want yall to know I put val-yuh it it. (spits some baccy)

Until later, mi amigos!
Zeke

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
You know... Shivan ships can strafe ;7
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Zeke

K. What keys they press to do it, and how do I hi-jack one? :lol:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Don't want to spoil it for you but on one of the loop missions you get to fly something that can strafe (I Think).

Don't remember the keys used though.

Offline Zeke

Ah cool. I mean, YE-HAH!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by karajorma
Don't want to spoil it for you but on one of the loop missions you get to fly something that can strafe (I Think).

Don't remember the keys used though.

You're right.  I just checked the tables and it does have the speed entries for multi-directional flight.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!