Author Topic: What's the deal with this? (warning: Big Screen caps)  (Read 3400 times)

What's the deal with this? (warning: Big Screen caps)
Just as an update, I set my screen resolution to 1048x680x16 (or whatever) instead of x32, and the lead indicator and everything went into the place it shoulda been. So likely my 32 bit graphics were not installed. The game played marginally better (17fps) but still not well enough to not crash later on in the mission.

Guess I'll have to wait until I have more disposable income to play some of the FSOpen campaigns, that should give them all time to be released anyhow.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Akalabeth Angel
Just as an update, I set my screen resolution to 1048x680x16 (or whatever) instead of x32, and the lead indicator and everything went into the place it shoulda been. So likely my 32 bit graphics were not installed. The game played marginally better (17fps) but still not well enough to not crash later on in the mission.

Guess I'll have to wait until I have more disposable income to play some of the FSOpen campaigns, that should give them all time to be released anyhow.

You could always try lowering the original Freespace 2 options. You know...the ones in the options screen. ;) That might get you past whatever point it's crashing at. (What's the error you're getting, btw?)
-C

I don't really get an error persay, it just freezes and doesn't respond. Usually when shockwaves are onscreen (ie an Aten blowing up, or taking a hit). Maybe if I ran it in debug it would tell me what was up???

Offline WMCoolmon

Well, it can't hurt to try. :)
-C

Well, I went to the detail settings in FS2 and put it lower and managed to get through the mission okay. First I put it on the lowest setting, and boy did that look like ass. It was worse than damned X-Wing . . . then I put it on high (one less that very high) and it still played okay. So I maybe I can play the campaigns, just on a lower detail. Though I would prefer the pretty graphics still . . . oh well.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Aham....it's not the in-game tweaks we speak about. Don't even bother changing those from what you used with FS2.

Use the launcher - all important resource drains are handled from that.

...if everything else fails try the old-engine build to run FS_Open campaigns, that's out to run fine.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline WMCoolmon

That's actually what I meant...I figued on a card like the TNT, they'll actually have an effect. All the major SCP features add on to those features.

The old engine build unfortunately, as it turns out, doesn't support a lot of the new SEXPs and other non-graphical improvements. So if a campaign uses any of those, it'll crash just as much as the old FS2. The old engine build is essentiially the original FS2 source + the Fs2NetD client, targeted mainly at multiplayer players.
-C

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
That's actually what I meant...I figued on a card like the TNT, they'll actually have an effect. All the major SCP features add on to those features.

The old engine build unfortunately, as it turns out, doesn't support a lot of the new SEXPs and other non-graphical improvements. So if a campaign uses any of those, it'll crash just as much as the old FS2. The old engine build is essentiially the original FS2 source + the Fs2NetD client, targeted mainly at multiplayer players.

Maybe it's time to update that one too...even if for the exclusive sake of collage LAN parties but AFAIK it wouldn't be as hard as actually developing smg. new....though naturaly a coder should do the ruling in this issue.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan