Author Topic: Feature requests  (Read 5798 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Yep now tested, backward firing helios.pof when put in to the default countermeasure entry functions. And infact looks pretty good, i think i'll keep it... ;) But it still has unlimited lifetime.

EDIT: Forgot to mention but even with changed pof file cmeasures work. That is hostile missiles home on to them.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 11:44:54 am by Wanderer »
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Well, maybe I just suck at countermeasures then. :p

I'll check the countermeasure type assignment code before commiting to CVS tho.
-C

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I think the lifetime issue is much more critical, if i drop cmeasures (any) with that build they will last till the doomsday (and propably beoynd...). As i posted earlier the lifetime of weapons having min/max lifetime is unlimited so any weapons or cmeasures having those (like basic Type One) will have behaviour that differs from the conventional behaviour.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
One more feature to throw out to you ;-)
Hi guys,
one more thing (I was going to put this b4 but forgot)
Have any of you guys tried to follow a target using the radar when it's a stealth ship/ship in the nebula while using 3d radar?  Yikes!  I end up following my wingmen.  I thought of something (again, I'm not sure if it's feasible):  I end up going to 2d radar for missions that have unlockable radar ships.  What if there was a way to toggle 2d/3d radar view in game?  Maybe the 'r' key (Shift-R and Alt-R are used for repair, but I don't believe the 'r' key is) could be used as default to load the 2d / 3d radar, and maybe this could be added to the key assignments if someone wanted to customize for another key or jostick button or something.
Of course, maybe I'm the only one with the problem...but I couldn't seem to tell which direction the blip comes from, as it jumps all over the place, and in 3d there are solid targets blocking your view sometimes.
You know, there is an "edit" button on your posts.
CaptJosh
You're right, I should make use of that for more than minor spelling mistakes.  Thanks!
However, I think it'd get overruled pretty quickly as once you give the shockwave a non-negligable volume you then make it obvious that the graphic is actually just a shell.  It would look pretty strange from inside.
StratComm
Hmm...probably just nonsensical for me to suggest this, but what if you made it so that if you're inside of the outer rim of the shockwave (the part you can see coming towards you), you get an ambience the same color as the shockwave?  Sort of like pointing towards a close star; it kind of wipes out your visibility while you're pointed at it.  And then it fades as the wave moves past.  But of course,
A media issue and better suited to either FS modding or the FSUpgrade forums.
Do you think I should post the shockwave idea in those places?  And which would you recommend, modding or FSUpgrade?  Or are they both the same?
And, last but not in the least the least (I can just hear everybody's eyes rolling), thanks for taking the time to answer.  You guys are great.

Offline WMCoolmon

Check that countermeasure problems are fixed in CVS.

Repost from priv forum:
Quote from: WMCoolmon
Okay, I've added a couple fields to ships.tbl. (In CVS)

After SHow Damage:
Code: [Select]
$Impact Spew:
+Max Particles: # ;;0 disables spew entirely
$Damage Spew:
+Max PArticles: # ;;0 disables spew entirey

These are hacky in the code but should be forwards compatible whenever someone decides to rework the particle code.
-C

Could there by a feature for *.TGA Backgrounds, I mean the support for the Alpha at the BitmapX (used for planets mostly). The Stars make the Black Square visible...it would really help here:

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I thought that TGA backgrounds already had full transparency support, and I know I've seen that work elsewhere.  Are the stars game-generated or part of a skybox?
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Alpha channels are definately working for tga and dds. Are you sure you saved the planet image file as 32 bit?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I'm actually more concerned with the image itself, i.e. did he forget to clear out the background layer when compositing the shot?  Is that space actually transparent, or just black?

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

I am sorry, it was my mistake, those TGA where saved inb 24 Bit, can you tell please what program lets you save using the 32 Bit format (because I don't have any). Now I am going to do a lot of Bitmap convertion again, the bad luck chases me...

Just a question, the extra 8 Bits, are used for the Alpha ? (I mean RGBA). What I mean is, can I make the conversion from 24 Bit to 32 Bit, without loosing any visual quality and colours ?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 01:24:18 am by Shadow0000 »

Offline WMCoolmon

-C

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I know the GIMP does, though using it can take a steep learning curve.  I'm more interested in knowing what program lets you set transparency but won't let you save a 32-bit TGA.

Thanks

(I hope I don't miss again)
What about a feature request for Animated Backgrounds (EFF/DSS or Ani), it would be really helpul to emulate Capella's SuperNova exlosion, I have tried to apply it, but it doesn't show, so I suppose it is not supported. I have made a very small of the sun in Sathanas movie, it needs a small cleaning. (and of course a SEXP to trigger that animation).

------------------------------------------

This should be easier (maybe), a feature to add a +Shield: Light/Medium/Heavy/Etc. at the Ships.TBL, so we can see at the Ship selection screen, usually bombers have higher shields than fighters, but if there is no description, most players will think that each ship has the same shielding energy/output, this will probabily lead in selecting a Fighter over a bomber most times...
(and one to add "Power Output", I mean the reactor, there is???)