Author Topic: 3.6.11 Changelog Discussion  (Read 8073 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: 3.6.11 Changelog Discussion
Dunno what purpose \n\ and ""\ serves...
They are notations for newline etc. Please do not include them into your table files.

EDIT: Also \" should be just " in the table files.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Code: [Select]
#Ship Types

$Name:                  Fighter
+nocreate
$Turrets prioritize ship target: NO

$Name:                  Bomber
+nocreate
$Turrets prioritize ship target: NO

#End

Fixed.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
:) Figured +nocreate would work.

Anyhow, is there a reason why 3.6.11 debug build has significantly lower framerates than 3.6.10 debug builds? I cannot say anything about 3.6.11 retail-build, because it doesn't load up missions most of the time, so I've been stuck using debug. By average it seems like 3.6.11 has about half the framerate of 3.6.10.

In a debug build, the Assertion code remain in the codebase - most functions have at least one :P
vm_malloc uses the SCP allocator (not the template one, the one in windebug.cpp) in debug builds
Visual Studio inserts all sorts of debugging junk (to quote sandsmark: 'Canaries') into the code.

It's no real surprise that debug is a lot slower.
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I was comparing 3.6.10 debug to 3.6.11 debug. .10 has about double the framerate compared to .11.

I was comparing 3.6.10 debug to 3.6.11 debug. .10 has about double the framerate compared to .11.

hmm... time to break out the profilers again.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Fury, go back a couple weeks and see if the problem still exists in the nightlies there, everyone else has been reporting massive speed improvements with 3.6.11.  You're the first report of a slowdown I'm aware of.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Can someone provide me a debug build with pdb+map that has $Arm radius assert fix? I have another assert I need to track down. Thanks. :)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Get rid of them, They're part of the code and don't need to be in the actual table.

Unless the modder works on something like a gunship class IIRC. Then object types becomes a very important table.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Get rid of them, They're part of the code and don't need to be in the actual table.

Unless the modder works on something like a gunship class IIRC. Then object types becomes a very important table.
Well, first of all the characters mentioned do not need to  be in any table that has been extracted from the code. Second thing, it is not adviseable to use objecttypes.tbl to create new ship types. Editing of the existing retail types is ok, but creation of new entries is certainly not. That is you can create them but unless you (what was the term coined with it...) 'multiclass' the ship type with some existing ship class (not 100% sure how this would work out and how it is done) then you may encounter very unexpected behaviour.

I put the attached patch together for The_E.
Symptoms include NULL dereferencing if Cutscenes of Cutscene_list is 0 sized.
I don't know what knock-on effects this may have.
I suspect the if (str) may have been for this very case before it used vectors.

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
To elaborate: This caused a crash on TBP, that could be tracked down to having an "empty" cutscenes.tbl (With nothing but #Cutscenes and #end in it). BTW, with that patch, while the game doesn't crash, it doesn't put out a warning or assertion either.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

To elaborate: This caused a crash on TBP, that could be tracked down to having an "empty" cutscenes.tbl (With nothing but #Cutscenes and #end in it). BTW, with that patch, while the game doesn't crash, it doesn't put out a warning or assertion either.

It's not actually warning or error worthy material.
The code there as it is was checking to see whether there was something in the array (by using str == NULL), it has been converted to use SCP_vector.
This is why we have to be careful when we change to the vector, as it doesn't like being dereferenced it it's empty!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Upon reflection, I can see that and agree. It's more of a case of :V: not planning for having no cutscenes.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
  • Turret targeting priorities setup
Does this work on a ship granularity?

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Instead of creating a new thread, i'll post in here since it's related to the new 3.6.11 features.
This is not a "bug report", rather a question regarding the new feats.

The Nightly build 5502 crashed right on start, i didn't know why, since i didn't change anything in the folder.
The first error message of the debug build revealed the error, a "rogue" texture in the maps folder i forgot to delete months ago.

I wonder why the engine complains about a map that's not used by any model?

Anyway, the new features are really cool AND useful and they help me to keep my folder clean. :D

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It's likely the texture had a filename that was too long.  The entire filesystem for all loaded mods is scanned, so that it doesn't have to scan it again later when looking for textures, etc.  That means any filename too long for the filename buffer used to be capable of corrupting memory.  That's now been fixed, but any filename that long will cause an assertion.  It should help stabilize the engine overall once people clean up their mods of long filenames.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
  • Turret targeting priorities setup
Does this work on a ship granularity?

Specific ship level? Nope, it wont... mainly because its still only a table controlled feature and at table parsing phase there are no ships yet (only ship classes). Besides that should be possible to handle with fredding means.

Options are ATM limited to - all with inclusive or so using say object type ship as targeting criteria automatically allows targeting of all ships regardless of any further checks - following list... (only certain flags are allowed... check wiki)
  • Object type
  • Weapon Class
  • Object Flags
  • Ship Class Flags
  • Weapon Class Flags
  • Ship Type (in objecttypes.tbl)
  • Ship Class (in ships.tbl)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
It's likely the texture had a filename that was too long.  The entire filesystem for all loaded mods is scanned, so that it doesn't have to scan it again later when looking for textures, etc.  That means any filename too long for the filename buffer used to be capable of corrupting memory.  That's now been fixed, but any filename that long will cause an assertion.  It should help stabilize the engine overall once people clean up their mods of long filenames.

Thx, for clarification, the filename of the unused map was "Deletethisragnar-shine" without the quotes.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
That can't be too long for a filename. Or are we stuck with 3+8 here? :wtf: