Author Topic: fs2 unix port  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
did you merge the unix port from http://www.icculus.org/freespace2/cvsinfo.php initially and are working off that code?
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Inquisitor

penguin is better equpped to answer that, but the short answer is no.

He had/has basic graphics functionality implemented by the time they released that. That icculus build needs GCC3.x to compile, and no special steps were taken to preserve windows functionality.

I have been following the mailing list, they seem to have windows compatibility working, meaning their client can play with the retail client, butI am not sure about compiling the windows code.

Penguin's was done with compatbility in mind, so I believe he is using that as a reference, but not actually using their code.

It also compiles under gcc 2.x and later, which was something we as a group decided was important (being somewhat unconvinced of the gcc 3.x stability). I think this compatibility was the least of the reasons not to simply use their code, but it wasa reason.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2002, 02:57:16 pm by 122 »
No signature.

Offline Inquisitor

Yeah, like I said, he's planning on using that as a reference.

I hear it runs pretty well, actually, big kudos to them. They have also made some headway getting fs1 to work on *nix using the fs2 binary.
No signature.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
sweet.. it's clear that it needs some work, there are hpraical artifacts, it's an unoptimized renderer [i just compiled it in an optimized build so i'll see what that does to my performance], but nothing major

Offline kieran

I've play all the way through with the icculus version without anything but a few texture rendering bugs.  I'm qurious if anyone has seen texture bugs under NVIDIA OpenGL drivers instead of Mesa3D (ati radeon 7500).

I've started trying some of the 3rd party missions.

My attempts with the Penguin version segfaults at OpenGL initialization (both gcc 3.1  and rh gcc 2.96).  I'm going to try gcc 2.95.3 and see what happens.
- My opinions are my own, my employer doesn't own this account.

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
It's been a rather low priority for me, unfortunately.  I did want to get a *nix/OpenGL/SDL version going, but got too involved with the other stuff.  I have reached the point where it will compile under both Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 and gcc 2.95.3.

It is (barely) playable under Linux:
  • performance is bad (due to crappy OpenGL coding on my part)
  • there are some known bugs in the cfile packages that result in segfaults
  • I have had a couple reports of segfaults at SDL init (kieran and others have reported), but I can't reproduce them with my setup, so I have no idea what the problem is.  FWIW I am running the NVIDIA OpenGL on XF86 4.1, RH6.2, GeForce3.
  • doubtless there is other broken stuff
I would be very happy if someone else wanted to contribute to this.  I will lend whatever support I can, but as I said, it hasn't been a huge priority for me since icculus got their stuff going.
your source code slave

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
For Ref

Red Hat 7.3, KDE 3.X, Kernel 2.4.18-5, GCC 3.X, SDL 1.2, OpenAL, Radeon QD [Radeon 32meg DDR]

Regarding the Linux port hosted at icculus.org:

I noticed a mention of graphical glitches, but it's not really fair to the FSSCP people to clutter their forums with bug reports from our version.  If you have something to report, please post it on the bugzilla at icculus.org or send a message to the mailing list.

However I do think it's important to note that the gcc 3.0 dependency was dropped long ago, and that Windows compatibility has always been carefully preserved in our build.

Offline Inquisitor

THEY SPEAK :)

Maybe it's time to merge?

It wasn't entirely clear from the mailing list that the windows code was being preserved. Someone actually said "I have not made any special effort" ;)

Anywho, you guys have done a great job, and we fully intend to steal from it :)

Most of the changes posted here are in our CVS, so, obviously feel free to do the same.

We don;t mind the clutter (at least I don't) and it helps the whole learning process if someone else observes things.

But, to theoddone's point, use bugzilla :)  But penguins comments were about his own code ;)
No signature.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
hey theod, i was just making comments

plus
*gestures at his title and then his sig*

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by Inquisitor
But penguins comments were about his own code ;)
Yes yes yes, this is true... calling my linux port "half-assed" would be a discredit to donkeys everywhere ;)  

You guys have done a fine job, as Inquisitor mentioned, we'd like to use some of your GL code as a reference, at the very least.
your source code slave